| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Q for Buddy Emmons
Terry Miller

Hammondsport NY USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 7:43 am    

Buddy could you tell me what basic type of reverb you use hall, room, plate or whatever? And how much delay. I would appreciate your input. Thanks Terry
Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 9:49 am    

Terry… I’m not sure which type reverb I use and am on the run right now but will get back to you when I check it out. As for the amount, I probably use just enough to bother an engineer on a recording session.
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 10:40 pm     BE's delay/reverb & idea for NL

I've often wondered about the delay settings myself that BE uses. One other thing that I'm still amazed by is, "How did BE come up the idea on the steel intro & break on Night Life in 63' ?"
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2007 11:45 pm     Hi Buddy

Buddy,

You may not remember me well, I attended your pedal steel workshops and shows twice in the late 80s and once in England. I am an active member of SGF and HSGA, play lap steel, dobro and pedal steel. I live in SoCal now.

Good to know you are still picking, really enjoyed your workshops and you were the first to convince me that steel guitar was equally good for jazz/blues. My favorites throught the years: Nightlife, Killer Joe....not to mention Blue Jade, Rose Colored Glasses..

As far as I could detect, you then used a short echo and a moderate reverb. Grrrreat, thick tone...!!

Kay Das
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2007 6:14 am    

Billy
The changes to the "Night Life" intro are known in jazz as the "Tadd Dameron changes." At least that's what a couple severe jazzheads I know told me. I do know that Dameron was a great pianist and arranger of the swing, bop, and post-bop era. Among his many compositions are "Hot House," and "If You Could See Me Now."

If you ever hear a recording of "Parker's Mood," a blues written by Charlie Parker and recorded by others as well, the very familiar "Night Life" intro is there.

Those chords are also part of an old Hal Rugg composition, "My Bluest Day."

Big E
Sorry if I pre-empted your answer. My bad. Cya in Dallas. H'ster.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Last edited by Herb Steiner on 13 Feb 2007 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2007 7:21 am    

No problem Herbster. The intro to The Night Life is a result of a popular set of chords used in jazz tunes I listened to in the fifties, “Midnight Sun” being one of my favorites. They were then referred to as turnaround chords but I guess I liked them so much I couldn’t wait to get to get there so I chose to use them as an intro. That may be a bit of a stretch but it's as clever as I can get this morning. Smile
My favorite story regarding The Night Life is when the song had been out for a while and someone asked Jimmy Day if he had played the intro on the recording and he replied, “No, but I could have.”
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2007 1:21 pm     BE & HS

Thanks.