| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe's Tips and Jimmy Day
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 8:18 am    

Bobbe Seymour in the latest Bobbe's Tips said "Jimmy Day was one of the genuine true masters of the E9th tuning."

I have no doubt that Jimmy Day was a master of all aspects of the steel guitar but I thought he was best known for the C6th.

With respect;

Sherman
Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 8:23 am    

- or maby his D9th tuning........

Never heard anybody play as soulfull as he does on Steel and Strings.
John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 8:49 am    

If anyone here doesn't own a copy of Day's Steel and Strings record, go buy the reissue CD today. It is a double record with Golden Steel Guitar Hits/Steel and Strings. They are in the top steel instrumental records of all time.
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 9:03 am    

I recently bought a copy of a Willie Nelson CD that was of music he wrote and recorded in the early '70's. There is a tune on it called "I Don't Feel Anything". There is a strong indication Jimmy Day did the steel. It is one of the most emotional steel backups I have ever heard.

The "Steel & Strings" CD is a must for any library.
Also, what Bobbe and Jimmy Day did in Bobbe's "Masters" CD is awesome. About once a month I'll cut loose in my studio & let the neighbors hear "Take Me As I Am" (they live a 1/4 mile down the road too...).

[This message was edited by Ray Minich on 20 January 2006 at 09:18 AM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 3:05 pm    

Jimmy's E9th was the best, his C6th wasn't.
This may start a contraversy but, he is the king of one and not of the other.
I have never heard anyone say they thought he was a great C player, but I'm sure I'm about to on this forum because even Jerry Garcia gets great press here.
Lets hear it boys, how many of you thought Jimmy was a great C6th player and thought Pete Drake was a great jazz improvisor,,,,,,

Jimmy, one of the very great E9th players, but he was not my favorite bus driver.

He was one of my greatest all time friends though, a shame he didn't have time to do our last planned album, it would have been "Price-Less".
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 3:08 pm    

Tore, Yes, I think I love his old "D" 9th stuff with no knee levers best.
You must be old Tore!

Your buddy, Bobbe
Dave Zirbel

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 3:11 pm    

What tuning did he play on the two albums mentioned? Steel and Strings and the Golden Hits.
Jimmy's one of my favorites!
DZ
Bobby Caldwell

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 3:39 pm    

Jimmy Day could put goose bumps on your goose bumps when played E9th. I sat by him many times and the sound coming from his amp and the feeling in his music was to much. However I also enjoyed his C6th playing. I admit his C6th was different than any other but I could still dig it. It always sounded very bluesy and I think thats what he wanted. Jimmy Day is one of very few players that have brought tears to eyes when working with them. The heart and feeling were right there. There have been a few other players that have done the same to me and sometime maybe will talk about those. The Jimmy Day "Steel and Strings should be a must for everyones collection if you do not have. Anyone who ever heard or knew Jimmy will miss him forever and always. What a guy. Thanks Bobbe for the memorie. Bobby
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 4:20 pm    

I haven't heard 'Liberty Drive' in a LONG time, but back in the day, (no pun intended,) that song really did it for me ... No disrespect to others, but JD was my greatest inspiration.
Wade Romonosky

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 6:19 pm    

I loved to hear Jimmy on both necks. He didn't play like anyone else but he didn't have to thats called style. I think Jimmy was his best in a jam session because it didn't matter who picked the song he was up for the task at hand. And it always souded like he had been practicing that song in that style and key for 6 months prior to playing it. That is someone who knows his instrument. And Jimmy was never better than in St.Louis with Bobby Caldwell and the convention staff band.
Wade
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 20 Jan 2006 8:28 pm    

Wade, you never saw him in the back room at "Tootsies" after being up for 72 hours! He could stay up, play, and drink with Don West or Julian Tharp! Never ending,,,,
St.Louis was nothing,
Bobbeaux
Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 2:11 am    

Yea Bobbe, I'm old, just turned 37....

Was not Steel and Strings done on D9 and Golden Steelguitar Hits on C6? (ShoBud D9 / C6).

And is the story true telling about when Jimmy heard a really fast player once and was asked "would it not be great to be able to play that fast" and replied "and choose not to"?
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 6:20 am    

Tore, both were done on a D-8, 6 pedals, no knees with a 25 inch scale, hence the "D" 6th stning. He used the "C" neck very little on both sessions. Only on steel guitar songs that were written on the "C" tuning. Example: Steelin' the Blues, Panhandel Rag, Roadside Rag, Steel Guitar Rag,etc.
He had told me several times that "he wasn't in tune with the "C"6th attitude.

Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 21 January 2006 at 06:22 AM.]

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 6:25 am    

Tore, I heard a similar story about Jimmy, but the version I heard was that after listening to a player that was playing a handfull of notes at the same time and intricate chord progressions, Jimmy said: "I wish I could play like that (then a pause) BUT I WOULDN'T" That is the exact way I feel when I hear people that can play like that.I enjoy listening to it and wish I could do it, but then I wouldn't do it even if I could.The sound I want for my simple country and gospel songs just doesn't require a lot of notes or advanced chords. Plus, to my ears, more than 2 notes (or an occasional 3) just muddys up the melody when you put it with the rest of the band. The steel played acapello would sound a lot fuller with more notes, but in a band, I think they get lost. I am talking about the type of music I play, not jazz or swing. Those are different animals.
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 7:46 am    

George, I personally couldn't agree more.

Bobbe
Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 10:23 am    

Steel and Strings was the first album I bought when I took up the instrument. Buddys Black Album was second. I found out later he was very unique on C6 as well. More of a chord type player there but you knew it was him playing. My favorites of him on C6 would be The B. Bowman Hop and his ride on Willys Bubbles in my Beer. Who could forget the ending on B. Bowman Hop? He reminded me of a horn player at times. I've got all of Jimmy albums and tapes. If I want to learn a classic I usually look there first.
Terry Sneed

Arkansas,
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 12:18 pm    

Download Jimmy Day's intro and solo on the song farewell party. It'll make tears come to your eyes. BTW- he played it on E9. I don't know about his C6 playin but his E9 was some of the best.

Terry

------------------
Mullen D10 /8x5 / session 500rd/ American Strat Highway 1 model
steelin for my Lord

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 3:44 pm    

Tore, like Chris Scruggs, you are smart beyond your years, this is a compliment.
I love seeing younger players that care where steel came from, love the history, the players and the guitars.

At your age of 37 and Chris at 21, You two know a lot more than many folks way beyond your years.

I just had an open "round table" discussion with Don Helms, Lynn Owsley, Chud Udeen, and Boomer Castelman that involved many old Nashville road stories, some un-repeatable, but all funny and infomative. Wish you two could have been here, you'd have loved it.
Maybe I need to line up some of these discussions for all to enjoy, we should all share with all!
This is what will keep the love and fun of steel guitar alive forever.

Bobbe-poux

Bobbe
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2006 10:14 pm    

And speaking of Jimmy Day and tone.I used to see him at times way back about 1960 or so.I am probably off a few years.He set in with us once.
I recall he used some kind of unsually large bar that looked as if it was home made out of copper.
So much for having to have a certian bar to get a good tone.
This was in west Texas.He was with Ray Price then.
The best local country steeler in Odessa Tx.at the time used a wrist pin out of a piston and had a great tone.
I do not claim to have a good tone,but i still use the same Sho Bud bar i bought in FLa.in 1968.Tracy
P.S.Not sure if it is okay to name a product here,but if any one wants to know a product that will take scratches out of a bar e mail me and i will give you the name.

[This message was edited by Tracy Sheehan on 22 January 2006 at 01:28 AM.]

Tore Blestrud

Oslo, Norway
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 3:00 am    

Thanks Bobbe!

Reminds me of the Christmas when I bought myself the 10 CD box of Ray Prices music from Bear Family. My family was'nt to pleased as I used that Christmas to go through all 250+ tracks....

Check out Jimmy play uptempo solos on Willie Nelsons old recordings "Things to Remember" and "Why are you picking on me" - great!
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 1:12 pm    

Tore, it just don't get much better than that!!
Jud Thomas

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 2:03 pm    

I especially like his playing on "All Those Years". I wonder if anyone will release that on CD anytime soon...I like the simple arrangements. Jimmy's soulfulness really stands out. Was he playing C6 on the Bob Wills tribute CD with Ray Price, "San Antonio Rose?" I love that album too. I also love his recordings with Don Walser...Heck, they're all good!
Jud
Billy Carr

Seminary, Mississippi, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 2:05 pm    

Anybody know if JD ever used any effects like delay or anything? When I listen to his stuff it sounds like guitar and amp only with a magical touch on the right hand.
Jim Hoke

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 3:13 pm    

JD might not be regarded as one of the better C6 guys, but that lick at the end of B. Bowman Hop sure raises my eyebrows!
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2006 3:32 pm    

I watched Jimmy play all the time for the last 26 years of his life and I never heard or saw him use any effect except amp reverb. Through the 70's Irecall he used a Sho-Bud Single Channel with a custom purple-stained maple cabinet made by Shot. During the 80's it was Derrell Stephens-era Evans amps, and the last part of the 90's he used Webb amplifiers.

He did use a "Little Izzy" from time to time... to prop up his amp. "It's the perfect height," he told me. No lie.

Also, the story frequently told on this forum that's now entered into the realm of folklore/legend actually occured between Jimmy and myself, at ISGC in the early 90's. We were standing by the soundbooth listening to an incredibly hot player, who shall remain nameless because he's a Forumite and I still dig his playing. I said to Jimmy "I wish I could play like that..." He finished my sentence by saying "...and choose not to."

At his funeral, I carried the final Blue Darlin' (a Mullen) behind his casket into the chapel and then out to Lynn's bus, which was the family limo. It was one of the greatest honors I've ever experienced as a steel player, and also one of the saddest things I've ever experienced.

Requiescat en pace.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association