| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it just me??
Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 12:23 pm    

I've noticed that as I grow older I tend to play much 'cleaner', instead of trying to improvice with the fastest breakneck licks I can come up with. It is mopre that possible that I won't even be able to play those licks again. I still do have lots of fun playing my way (no pun intended). By the way, I'm only 57 yrs young, but I think you know what I mean.

------------------
Nic du Toit
1970 Rosewood P/P Emmons D10 Fatback 8x4
1980 Basket Weave P/P Emmons SD10 3x5
Peavey Session 500 unmodfied
My CD "Nightmare on Emmons Steel"

Click here to E-mail us.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 1:21 pm    

I'm 57 too, Nic, but I don't think I play any cleaner than I ever did.
David Wren

Placerville, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 3:19 pm    

Hey Nic, me too.... and I'm lovin' it. I think, at least as far as I'm concerned, I'm just more mature about my music and others' as well... and I listen a whole lot more than I did in my 20's. I'll take one, well timbered, intonated whole note, for a whole slew of chicken scratches (not that I'm being judgmental, just what I like)...this is what I tell the yournger musicians I play with now.."Fast notes on a pedal steel really aren't much diffent than fast notes on a guitar, fiddle, sax, take your pick... but slow, moving, sliding harmonies on a steel are something to listen to!" .. And they don't listen to me either (:>)>=[

------------------
Dave Wren
'95Carter S12-E9/B6,7X7; Session500; Hilton Pedal
www.ameechapman.com

Herman Visser

Rohnert Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 4:08 pm    

Hi Dave: I couldnt say it any better then that.
Play a song that paints a picture in my mind, and you have sold me the CD.
Nic as far as playing cleaner as I get older, I better since I have only been at this 3yrs
A while back I bought a 6string Lap and got Roys Tabs and haveing more fun playing then I ever did on my peddal. At 58 it less taxing on the old brain
Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 4:15 pm    

Nic I think you play really good at any age.
And smooth.
Herman Visser

Rohnert Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 4:22 pm    

P/S what I was ref. to was a song like Ashokan Farewell.By Larry Bell. That always paints some great picture in my mind
Herman
Sonny Priddy

Elizabethtown, Kentucky, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 4:55 pm    

I'm 70+ years Young I Play My Own Style That May Be Good Or Bad But I Still Play Every SAT. Night + Other Shows I Don't Feel Old. SONNY. Sho_Bud and GFI.Peavey 1000 Amp And Peavey 112.

------------------
John Ummel

Arlington, WA.
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 7:22 pm    

I remember the Kentucky Colonels (Clarence & Roland White' bluegrass band) had a little bit they did...one player would rip off a breakneck solo and the next solist would play just the melody, the first guy stops and says: "Didn't you hear me play that amazing fast solo, don't you want to play like that?" and the answer is "you're racing all over the place lookin' for it...& I already found it!" (Its not just you Nic!)
Al Carmichael

Sylvan Lake, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 11:35 pm    

I find more meaning in slower, more lyrical playing as a rule. However, if the song calls for a breakneck solo rip, go for it. Of course, they'd have to call another steel player if they want that from me. I just can't play that fast!

Whatever we do, we should do with the best quality, and support the musical composition.
Vern Wall

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 4 Aug 2005 11:53 pm    

Yes, it's just you. It's a conspiracy, you know. Those flying saucers you hear about are people from other planets coming here every night to attend a mass meeting just to plot against you.

Have you tried a garlic necklace? They say it helps.
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 1:04 am    

Ashokan Farewell is a good case in point.
Nobody's in a hurry, and you can hear every note.

Paul Desmond called himself 'the slowest sax player in the West.' He caresses every note, no matter what the speed it's played at.
Nic du Toit

Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 1:36 am    

Vern,
I'll try that!
Give me a song, something like 'Nameless shuffle' by Buddy, and I'm at my happiest. Boy, some of the younger players can sure let it rip, and I admire them for that. It would be interesting to see how their style will develop as time goes on. Of course, I'm not referring to guys like Paul Franklin. He has that inbred ability to do whatever he pleases; but I'm sure he still has to practice a lot to be able to pull it off. I, on the other hand, is slowly but surely winning my battle against the stroke I had last year, and is in the process of putting together another album . I'll keep you guys posted (those who are interested).

------------------
Nic du Toit
1980 Basket Weave P/P Emmons SD10 3x5

Click here to E-mail us.

Alan Pagliere

Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2005 6:16 am    

I've been playing 30 years now, although there was a decade and a half in there where I didn't play much at all. I was never very fast, or better put, fast and accurate. I don't think I'm any faster or slower now really.

The main difference is that I'm, for lack of a better word, more mature. I don't mind just playing slower, if need be, and finding bigger, fatter, warmer sounds in there if they are to be found. I'm not saying I am a tasteful player, but that of course is what, at this age, I am striving for. Better knowledge, more tasteful.

I've always been a great believer in originality, but never, never, never at the expense of the music. Every singer, every musician, every note, should be in support of the tune and the flavor/feel of the tune.

I could of course simply be rationalizing my long-term inability to flawlessly execute superfast and impressive licks (which can have their "charm" of course), but I hope not.

------------------
Alan Pagliere
MSA Millennium S12 Universal
Nic du Toit

Post  Posted 6 Aug 2005 1:32 am    

Alan,
You put into words precisely what I meant.
I just knew there were guys out there who felt the same way I do. Thanks to all the guys who took the time to contrubute their thoughts.
Regards,

------------------
Nic du Toit

Click here to E-mail us.