| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pete Drake
Jimmy Douglas

Raceview, Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 11 Aug 2004 11:00 pm    

I recently enjoyed some of Pete Drakes very musical steel playing on a Porter Wagoner CD and wonder if Pete Drake did any instrumental recordings of steel/country standards under his own name? And if so are they available?

Thanks,

Jimmy

BTW
No to Racism, No to war, Steel must be one of the last remaining things left to explore!

Music needs more steel guitar, any style! kudos to all who play especially those pros of any genre who make a living as steelplayers.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 1:42 am    

Pete Drake did a a couple of weird albums (in the late sixties) that I used to own but have since sold, one of them was called "Pete Drake and his talking steel guitar". He used one of those tube-in-your-mouth-linked -to-a-mini-speaker devices on almost every song, a novelty at the time but frankly not worth having today IMHO. It is certainly nothing at all like his backup-playing, which really was unique. If any steel player is instantly recognisable, it has to be Pete Drake. Some say he couldn't play right, but to me those reverse volume pedal sounds are perfect behind George Jones and many others.
Jimmy Douglas

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 2:29 am    

Thanks Per,

I have heard some of those talking steel songs and a Bob Wills version of Ghost Riders, steel accredited to Pete Drake. I understand that some of the Tammy Wynette classics also featured PD and there is nice steel on some of them.

I think I understand what you mean, Who can play right, I often wonder....I mean what is right.....I recall reading that some people thought C.Parker couldn't play properly!

Music is what it is irrespective of what we the listner's may think and it seems a shame to close the ears for a cause.

Case in point is some of the tracks on the Porter Wagoner CD are pretty scary in terms of thematic lyric content, murder, jilted love, psychiatric hospital, Nihlism, bitter revenge. Despite that a very good singer and some nice steel, an opinion on it can't change it. Not a preferred breakfast music disc at my ranch however.

I am with you and not about to criticize, I am of the school that if it is recorded at least it is there.

Seems PD was an influential player and did a lot of records so he must have done something OK. Alot of steel players recorded those kind of instrumental albums I just wondered if PD had done the same, more music more music.

I don't want to get involved in a right and wrong I just want to hear it!

Thanks,

JD

[This message was edited by Jimmy Douglas on 12 August 2004 at 03:32 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jimmy Douglas on 12 August 2004 at 03:35 AM.]

Gary Meyer

Sacramento, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 3:05 am    

Pete Drake has a number of albums/CD's.
A couple of which are available here on the forum (see CDs & tapes). Also he has "country Steel Guitar","Golden Country Hits","Plays All Time Country Favorites", "Sleepwalk and Other Steel Guitar Favorites", & "The Pete Drake Show"

------------------
Jimmy Douglas

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 3:18 am    

Thank you Gary.

JD

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 5:45 am    

I have an old album by Pete called "Steel Away." The album jacket shows Pete sitting behind his old, Sho-Bud Permanent (the one with Pete's name displayed across the front) and I think this album is probably circa 1963 or '64. Pete does some of the talking steel thing on the recording. But most of it is pure steel played on slow gospel tunes. Pete's rich tone and smooth playing are very, very nice as he sticks close to the solid melody lines throughout the majority of this particular album.

I find it interesting how some folks disclaim Pete's playing prowess. As stated, his sound was to be recognized instantly and on so many hit records. He may not have been a "burner" but he most definatelly had his own style. One that earned him a warehouse full 'a money too !!

You will also hear the great, Paul Franklin playing a Pete Drake-ish lick on recordings to this day at times. I guess the producers still like to hear "that" sound, even though Pete is gone. That says something.

Chris "Tiny" Olson
C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 5:56 am    

On one of Pete's albums (can't remember the title), Pete is sitting at his Sho-Bud that has that gold name plate with his name on it. I have been told several times that he put that plate on there because that guitar originally belonged to Buddy Emmons and Buddy's name was underneath the plate.

Does anyone out there know whether that story is true; or just another hillbilly tale that gets started and then becomes a psuedo truth?

Pete Drake IMO, was THE greatest "lick" PSG player who ever lived. He was also one of the smartest and most successful business men in country music.

I imagine that IF Pete had been one of the great country music singers, and still retained the above attributes, his success would have rivaled Bill Gates.

May Jesus rest his soul,

carl
Ricky Littleton

Steely-Eyed Missile Man from Cocoa Beach, Florida USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 6:15 am    

I think you are right Carl. That is the same guitar that's in the Country Music Hall of Fame. It has Buddy's name on the front and Pete did cover it with a plate of his own. The front of the old steel reads "Buddie Emmons".

I'm pretty sure that's how it went, but maybe Buddy can chime in with some input on this.

Ricky...

------------------
Emmons LeGrande - 8x4
Session 400 Ltd, Peterson VS-II Tuner
Dan-Echo, E-Bow, Ibanez Distortion, Boss Comp./Sustain, Ibanez Auto-Wah, PX4 Pandoras Box

Steve Kritz

Shadyside, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 6:24 am    

Correct me if I'm wrong, when Johnny Rodriquez came out with his first album back in the early 70s, wasn't it Pete Drake playing steel? There are some great cuts on that album "PASS ME BY" ect.....Steve
Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 9:24 am    

Steve,

You are right, Pete recorded a lot with Johnny Rodriguez!

Kind Regards, Walter

www.lloydgreentribute.com
www.austriansteelguitar.at.tf

------------------
Peter Dollard

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 9:36 am    

I think a lot of the envy or hostility to Drake came not so much from his fellow players in Nashville but from people taking up the steel and hearing this guy and saying I can do that. At least they thought they could; like the millions of bad James Cagney and Jack Benny impressions for the most part they made you wish you were hearing the real thing. I personally have known at least a dozen players who could play faster than Pete but ended up in honkytonk purgatory for the duration of their careers. Kenny Rogers also received a lot of slings and arrows for his style because like Drake you knew it was his voice instantly. Brand recognition in any business is of paramount importance.

[This message was edited by Peter Dollard on 12 August 2004 at 10:37 AM.]

Johnny Baldwin

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 9:39 am    

Hey Jimmy:

Just last week I was browsing through a used record store and found 3 Pete Drake LP albums. The album with the PD gold signature on the front of the PSG is entitled, "Talking Steel & Singing Strings" on Smash Records. The album has some great tracks (i.e. Let It Be Me, Only You, Dream, Unchained Melody, Blue Velvet, etc.). The other albums I picked up were "Pete Drake and his Talking Guitar" and "Pete Drake - Country Steel Guitar". I digitize old LP's and clean up the hisses and pops. If you are interested in these albums, drop me an email.
Johnny Baldwin
lighthousewizard2000@yahoo.com

------------------

[This message was edited by Johnny Baldwin on 12 August 2004 at 10:46 AM.]

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 9:47 am    

You can see the Sho-Bud steel guitar that Pete played at the Ernest Tubb Record Shop in downtown Nashville. Brett, Emmons S-10, Morrell lapsteel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Johnny Baldwin

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 10:32 am    

Jimmy:

Checkout this website: http://www.calsharp.com/music/Pete.html

------------------
Stephen LeBlanc

Los Angeles, CA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 10:46 am    

Quote:
I think a lot of the envy or hostility to Drake came not so much from his fellow players in Nashville but from people taking up the steel and hearing this guy and saying I can do that. At least they thought they could; like the millions of bad James Cagney and Jack Benny impressions for the most part they made you wish you were hearing the real thing.

yep yep
Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 12:34 pm    

I used to be "down" on Pete,but a friend once asked me,"How many hit records have YOU played on?" Of course,my answer was,"none".
He,then,said to me,"There ya go. You don't argue with success!" Since then,I've tried to pay my own respects to Pete Drake,by doing a "talking guitar salute" to him,on any shows that I do. I know I'll never reach the stature that Pete reached w/ the effect,but at least,I can try to keep his memory alive.

------------------
  ~ ~

©¿© It don't mean a thang,
mm if it ain't got that twang.
www.ntsga.com

Burr Oxley

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 2:32 pm    

To Johnny Baldwin: I'm absolutely interested in those Pete Drake LP's! If you want to sell them, please let me know!
Jimmy Douglas

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 4:23 pm    

Blokes

Per, Gary, Tiny, Carl, Ricky, Steve, Walter, Peter, Johnny, Brett, Stephen, Smiley, Burr

I was surprised to wake up and see all the posts! What a difference a sleep makes!

Thank you all so much for your input and the links and offers. It is very interesting to learn about the history of the guitar PD used and about the music he made and I am thankful that you can share your thoughts about this artist.

Tiny, nice observation about producers who are afterall trying to produce sales, why mess with a proven strategy when appropriate.

Carl, a steel player with the influence of Mr.Gates, wouldn't that be a gas! Everyone would be checking their G string not their email, think of the demand for that call centre.

Ricky, the diamond is in the detail, tre magnifique.

Steve, I have never heard of Johnny Rodriquez so that may give an indication of how far away from it all I am.

Peter that is a really good point about branding that applies to more than music.

Johnny, thanks for your offer I will send you a mail today. Johnny and Walter those links should keep me busy.

Brett, I will be sure to drop by the shop should I ever make it to Nashville for a visit.

Stephen, Finaly a yes man I like. I would just add there wasn't many who could do a convincing Edward G. but they sure tried.

Smiley, that is a very good anecdote, I would love to have a chance to hear your show. On that theme, I was "down" on the PSG which I thought was a gimmick when I started on the non-pedal, then one day I got a PSG, see my tag on my first post

I feel guilty of interference and time wasting just posting on the Forum. So when there is a professional anyplace nearby I don't class myself as a steelplayer or musician and would be the first to put my hand up for the broomwork!

Down here on the ground where I am at I am always astounded at just how prolific these artists were and are. If I can get a fraction of the success of an artist the stature of PD in music or business I will be happy.

Thanks again,

Peace out!

JD

Terry Wood

Lebanon, MO
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 5:49 pm    

Hi Jimmy!

Well I first heard Pete's album titled "The Hits I Played On," via 1960's. I think, that maybe I was all of 8 years old.

But my cousin she belonged to a Record or L.P. club it was an L.P. she recieved. She never knew it, but that L.P. and a Herb Remington L.p. from same record club inspired my humble beginnings.

Pete was a soulful player! He played alot of pure but effective innovative licks. And boy did he play on a bunch of hit records. Lloyd Green told me once that Pete was once his main competition in Nashville's Golden era of Country Music. Well, both inspired me and my beginnings with steel.

What a couple of true innovative artists/creative beings! I just think that both Lloyd and Pete's playings were superb! Why because their stules fit the songs/hits they played on!

Pete was a great soulful and inspiring player! I can still hear his crying and haunting sounds after all these years! they are imprinted in the recesses of this hillbilly's mind.

The CD offered here on The Steel Guitar Forum is great, I recommend it to you!

Terry
Herman Visser

Rohnert Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 7:46 pm    

Everyone talks about a lp where Pete sits behind his Sho Bud with his name plate on it.Im thinking how many times they used that picture and on how many LP covers.Mine is called The Fabulous Steel Guitar Sounds of Pete Drake On Starday Records of canada SLP 180. No talking just great music. Frist LP I ever bought I think I was maybe 14 or15 yrs old LONG LONG LONG time ago
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 9:38 pm    

That's Pete's first album, pre-talking steel. I like it a lot too, there's some pretty funky stuff on it, distortion effect and such. Pretty ahead of it's time, I think the album was recorded in -61 or- 62. On the cover picture, the Sho Bud is still an eight string guitar ( yes it was originally Buddy's ), it was converted to a ten string shortly after. My favorite Pete Drake tune, however is the one he recorded for Smash, a Hal Rugg-tune "My Bluest Day". If that isn't great steel playing, I wonder what is!
Herman Visser

Rohnert Park, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 10:07 pm    

Hi Jussi Thats the one . This LP made me fall in love with the Steel Guiter the first time I heard it.The songs I like the most are Southern Sunday and Till Tomorrow. Both I will play before I die. If I can ever find the Tabs to them. Talk to Bobby Black the other day and he doesnt think Pete ever did Tabs. Bobby used to work for pete but he was not sure.I hoping someone in this world has them
Jimmy Douglas

Post  Posted 12 Aug 2004 11:10 pm    

Terry, Jussi, Herman,

Thank's for sharing your thoughts. I sure have a lot of listening to do.

Terry, I will order the CD from the Forum which I overlooked prior to starting this thread. Just proves the old look before you leap adage.

Herman, Starday is a great label. I always thought they were from Texas for some reason.

Little bit off the topic of this thread but I once had a Starday country guitar album with Thumbs Carlisle doing "Springfield Guitar Social" Talk about raising the bar, oh brother too much!

Jussi, I have never heard "My Bluest Day" but sure do like the title.

Once again Thank you all.

JD

Burr Oxley

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 3:38 am    

"My Bluest Day" is really a great little instro. Pete Drake's "Forever" album was my first steel guitar LP, and my favorite off it was "Still." That CD that was reissued a couple years ago with the panning back and forth, however, was enough to give a person motion sickness. A very Unpleasant listen. Wish it was available with "normal" panning!
Jussi Huhtakangas

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2004 3:44 am    

My Bluest Day can be found on two different Smash-albums; "Forever" is the other one and if I remember correct, the other one is "Talking Steel Guitar". I've seen both on ebay frequently and for reasonable prices. The song itself is a very beautiful, sort of haunting jazz blues tune, quite different from what we're used to hearing from Pete Drake.