| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Steel Guitar vs. Lap Steel on eBay
Kris Oka

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 11:07 am    

Has anyone noticed that there is a difference between Lap Steel Guitar and Lap Steel on ebay. I have been surfing the Lap Steel Guitar page all week and saw nothing of interest. Then, last night I typed in only Lap Steel and there was an auction for a 39' of '40 Rickenbacher in near mint condition with only 4 minutes remaining. What the heck? I had barely enough time to read the lengthy item description before wildly trying to place a bid. Hey Rick Aiello, did you tell your wife about this one? Can you help me with the broken covers?
Anyway, this morning I checked again and there is a difference in the number of items listed under each section. I am wondering what I might have been missing all this time.
Danny James

Summerfield Florida USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 11:41 am    

Yes,
I just checked it out---"Lap steel guitars" listed 95 items.

"Lap steel" listed 127 items.

Apparently it does make a difference as to what you type in.
Steinar Gregertsen

Arendal, Norway, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 11:51 am    

I assume you have not checked the "search in titles and description" box. There are fewer titles that includes "lap steel guitar", but if you check the "titles and description" box and search for "lap steel" (and, just to be on the safe side, an additional search for "lapsteel"), then you should pretty much cover it all.

But there's always exceptions,- a National Dynamic I once bought was listed as "Hawaiian guitar/ukelele"...... (so I do a search for "Hawaiian" now and then too).

Steinar

------------------
www.gregertsen.com

Billy Gilbert

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 12:42 pm    

There is a real nice triple neck Stringmaster under "Fender Guitars". The number is 7345176016.
Tom Baylis

Portland, Oregon
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 1:17 pm    

Steinar's suggestion of searching both titles & descriptions is a good one; that has steered me well too. Given that many lap steel sellers are not really savvy to the instruments they're auctioning, I also sometimes search for slide as well as Hawaiian. Sometimes they're not even listed as lap steel, so a more tedious search of steel guitar sometimes reaps some rewards too.

I've also found a sole-bidder bargain or two based on seller's mis-spellings (ie Fendar). I found my stock '68 Princeton amp ($300) that way...

Tom
Mike Ruffin

El Paso, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 1:41 pm    

In addition to "lap steel", search "steel guitar" and you discover different items.
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 3:11 pm    

I have 5 in my fav's so I don't miss anything!!!!

Ron
Kris Oka

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 5:48 pm    

Hey Ron, you probably have every steel guitar ever made. You would by any chance have any plastic(?) cover plates for a '39 Rick bakelite?
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 5:55 pm    

You are too funny!! I still need a Ricky to come full circle. Can't help you there.
Ron
Kris Oka

San Francisco, CA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 6:40 pm    

Ron, You said, "I have 5 in my fav's". You meant you have 5 listings for steel guitars in your favorites. Sorry. I thought you said you had 5 Rick favorites.. You always seemed to be buying something and trying to fix it or refinish it. And that is good. I guess I stopped trying to fix things when I found out it was often cheaper to buy a new one. Ever try working on your car lately. The exception would be this vintage stuff. If you think buying vintage steel guitars is high, consider a collection of 50 year old Martin ukuleles that go from $1000 up to $13,000 or more. But I love the sound of steel so I am glad I'm over here now. Kris
wt golden

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2005 8:54 pm    

You will get different results with lap steel and lapsteel as well
Ron Victoria

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2005 3:52 am    

In my fav for ebay, I have it 5 different ways so I don't miss anything but I'm sure something gets by under the radar. I am watching one sold as is. The strings are off, so I asked the seller to plug it in and tap the PU. It makes sounds. He added that in his description so now I guess the bidding will be up. I guess I should have kept quiet.
Ron