| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Retiring....
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 9:55 am    

I've just resigned from the group I've worked with for the last six years. This has been coming for a long time and I knew it. I've been playing for the sheer love of playing. The last year I have grown progressively more burnt out after each job.
Much of the problem has been my growing conviction that I wanted to spend more time with my family and less time on the road on the weekends. After six years, it is hard to say goodby to friends I've grown close to... but I had to do it. I have been playing music in bands since the 60's. I am just flat burnt out. It is no longer fun, but rather a chore I dread. I'm planning on putting together a little local country gospel group that will be for fun... not money. If anyone wants a gig with a great central Texas band, the chair is open.

I'm fixing to have the mother of all garage sales in a couple of weeks

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 3:39 pm    

Enjoy, brother Steve! Can I have some of your stuff????
Chris Lasher

Blacksburg, VA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 5:20 pm    

I'd call it a "refocusing" rather than a retirement. Your family is blessed that you love them so much.
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 8:00 pm    

Steve,
Know whatcha mean Pal! I'm burnt out myself from playing every weekend the past 3 years without a break except for going to Scotty's Show in St. Louis and the Chattanooga Steel Show. I'll probably be hangin it up for good once a few booking obligations have been completed. I'm gonna sell off everything. . . the Steels the Amps, PA System, even Country Junction's 5x8 equipment trailor. I'm really looking forward to a little quality time with the Family on weekends. Heck, I only got my Boat in the lake 3 times last Summer. Playin Music has been a blast, but it's time for me to get out.

Nick

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 13 April 2004 at 09:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 17 April 2004 at 11:15 AM.]

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2004 11:49 pm    

Steve, I hope it's just "semi-retirement" and that you come back later feeling refreshed and raring to go. Sometimes the space we give ourselves for a while makes all the difference. Good luck, steve
David L. Donald

Koh Samui Island, Thailand
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 2:13 am    

Good luck on your refocusing, but NEVER EVER sell everything.

Just put it aside with the expectation that the itch will take hold again.
It ALWAYS does.
You have too many notes in your head and heart to ever excices them totally.
Keep your favorite steel and and amp. You will never regret that.

Just kick back in the arms of the family and if a nice jam comes along you'll be up for it.

I have periodically felt like chucking it totally, and once I did sell most of my stuff when I cam over here..
I regret that more than most things I have done.
I am not up for a 6 year, 5 nite a week gig myself, but I will always want to play at some level or another as long as fingers, back and brain still work.
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 5:11 am    

I really have no intention of selling everything myself. I do intend to continue playing, just in a different venue where the return is far different than money. The reason for the garage sale is that I have completely separate road gear and see no need to keep all of it. In fact, I'm thinking of whittling the herd down to my Martin, one electric, one bass, three amps, and one steel. That leaves, oh... 20+ guitars, several amps, and a steel to sell.
It will be a couple of weeks before I really sort this all out.

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings

Kevin Sowder

Kearneysville, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 6:19 am    

Steve, don't sell your stuff. You need a long break. I have been with the same band for 18 years with the same 4 guys and up until last year we played at least twice a week. That was for 17 years!! Talk about burn-out... Made a lot of money doing that plus the day job, but the family scene suffered. You will find out how good it feels not to have to stop what you are doing at 3:00pm on Saturday because you have to play that night. We have slowed booking down to very small venues and an occasional private gig and it has really been a relief. Just take it easy for awhile. I like going to Lowe's at like 8:00pm on Saturday night. It's really cool! Get some rest, man.
Tim Bridges

Hoover, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 10:57 am    

Steve, do what's best for you.

Good Luck!
Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 11:28 am    

Best wishes, Steve. The Topic line had me worried. I didn't know what we were going to do come flu season.

------------------
HagFan

Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 6:40 pm    

Quote:
20+ guitars
!!!!! HOLY -------!
Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2004 7:41 pm    

Quote:
I like going to Lowe's at like 8:00pm on Saturday night. It's really cool!

Guess I'm not as burned out as I thought I was. Think I'll hang with it a while longer......................bb
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 8:33 am    

The guys have found a replacement. I knew it wouldn't take long as it is a great paying gig with excellent musicians. It looks like musician/singer extraordinaire "Jeff Chance" will be filling the seat. Jeff is a former big label (MCI) artist who plays fiddle, guitar, and steel. He is currently working with Gene Watson. He will bring a dimension to the band I didn't have...talent!

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 9:50 am    

Steve: I reached the same crossroad last year but I was more of a musical addict. I knew I wouldn't be able to just step away from it and be done with it. AA folks do not shop at the corner liquor store and I knew I would have to distance myself farther than that. I sold or gave away everythings except the bar and picks and a clear cover Bobbe sent me that I found later.

To me music was always first. I quit day jobs when the schedule interferred with my band work. I turned down other jobs for the same reasons and I went through five wives and families in my unceasing quest for musical solace and comfort. It just had to stop and 71 years of age helped me make the transition.

I think I read sometime back that Jerry Byrd has not played for the past year or so. I wondered at the time if he missed it and now I know that he hasn't or he'd have gone back. But what do you go back to when you've done everything you wanted to or could do ??

You go to the Steel Guitar Forum and relive those golden days of yore and hope God will give you some more years to continue with that. It really isn't too hard and there are always adjustments that can be made for individual needs and desires. You will be fine, of that I am very sure...

Trust Me ! Paul
Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 3:46 pm    

Hello Steve,

Let me know about your studio stuff, if it comes up for sale.

Thanks for all your help over the last coupla years.

Ron
Kevin Sowder

Kearneysville, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 4:30 pm    

Hey Bobby! Yeah, I go to the Dairy Queen too. I don't play as much now, but it still feeds my habits. Hang in there, man.
John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2004 9:08 pm    

I've been more or less Retired for the past 12 yrs., but; not by choice! I'd give just about anything to have some good work come my way! I gave up playing for 23 mos. once, to drive a TAXI. Then I figured I had taken my life in my hands long enough and got out of that danger! But, unfortunately, I never really got back to playing like I wanted to! So, I have to live on only memories. They're good ones, but; not fulfilling enough!
------------------
“Big John” Bechtel
Franklin PSG D–10 (9 & Cool
Fender ’49–’50 T–8 Custom
Fender ’65 Reissue Twin-Reverb Custom™ 15
click here
click here

[This message was edited by John Bechtel on 18 April 2004 at 09:10 PM.]

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2004 3:44 am    

Steve:
I only recently discovered gospel music and your going to love it.The folks at church and gospel venues really appreciate what your doing.There is no crowd noise and you can actually play those subtle little fills that make the steel such a great instrument.
When some little old grandmother type comes up and says " I don't know what that thing is but it sure makes beautiful music " that will make your day. I quit once for a number of years and it was tough catching up.I know you will give it a good go..my best to you and your family.

Bud
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2004 1:11 pm    

Hmmm...

A funny thing happened. I went to play my last gig with the guys last weekend at Harmonie Hall in Shelby Texas. What a terrific night. It turns out that two of the guys in the band want to do the Christian gig too! We came to a bit of a compromise. I will continue to hold down the steel chair in this great Texas band and they will play Christian music with me.

I was concerned about this because I had told our Pastor and our church members that I was leaving the band to play Christian music. I talked at length with my Pastor after the guys suggested this and he basically told me that he felt the Lord was working on all of us in this band and that it hurts nothing for me to continue with The Night Shift. We've never been a bar band. We play county fairs, events, weddings, street dances, etc.
So anyway, I'm going to continue with the both for the present.

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings