| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What do you wear?
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 4:01 am    

When Im practicing at home I play bare foot. Went for a lesson the other day and had my regular work boots on and couldnt even find the pedals. Tried my dress boots and no problem but still not as comfortable as pedaling bare footed. My teacher said he prefers shoes like loafers. What do you pros prefer when working? Boots or shoes?

Rick
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 4:18 am    

While I really like playing barefoot, I'm not inclined to share the funk that is my foot-odor with any unsuspecting bystanders, so I wear tennis shoes.
When George Clinton says "We want the funk", rest assured he is not referring to my feet!
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 5:19 am    

I've heard this discussed a lot over the years, and never really understood. I can and have played in loafers, cowboy boots, hush puppies, tennis shoes, etc. The only kind of shoe I've found that I can't play in are the lace-up type work boots, or the lace-up Doc Martens.

To P. Gleespen: Odoe Eaters Co. recently came out with a shoe/foot powder that TOTALLY kills foot odor. It's called simply "Odor Eaters Powder"...try it, it works!
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 5:34 am    

I'm with your teacher, Rick.
I prefer boat shoes or 'Docksides'; second choice is good athletic/tennis shoes.

LTB

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro
Bill Taft

Sturgeon Mo. USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 6:08 am    

I used to play in cowboy boots all the time and practice in the same boot. Then in church I always wore dress shoes and played and started wearing old pair of dress shoes to practice, now wherever I play I play in dress shoes because I got so used to them I would have to play a lot in boots again to find the right feel on the pedals.

------------------
btaft
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 6:11 am    

I try to wear clothes.

Actually, it doesn't matter to me - boots, sneakers, "dress" shoes - anything except "barefoot".
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 6:30 am    

I use soft soled mocassins. They give me all the flexability of playing barefoot, with just enough cushioning to make it really comfortable.
IMHO they are the perfect footwear for playing the steel. Frankly, I don't know why more players don't use them.
Bob Hayes

Church Hill,Tenn,USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 6:36 am    

When I practice,or am trying to "Steele" some licks from the REAL GREATS that I've got on CD,TAPE, OR 78...I wear my mocacin slipers. But when I'm out playing "some time I even get paid" I wear my western boots..which are very very broken in. Some time on out side gigs..with a picknic or festival type situation, I may wear some comfortable tennis/jogging shoes..Bare Foot? The pedals tend to iritate the bottom of the foot..or the toes can get stuck in the rods, and thats uncomfortable.
I thought that steelers were a SERIOUS GROUP!!! That's what I've been told.."You look so serious when your playing"!! "Don't you know how to Smile"!!!!!!!
John Sims

Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 7:37 am    

I am with LTB...I use Docksiders Boat Shoes. Real close to mocassins.

I say we all should play naked.

------------------
Regards,

John

Steelin' is a way of life!

My PSG website-Carter SD-12-U, 8p/5k, Nashville 1000

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 8:24 am    

I wear a cowboy boot on my left foot, and one of my wife's old 4" patent leather pumps on my right foot. Bush is embarrassed by it, but its the combo that works for me.

Your mileage may vary, but I'd like some other forumites to try this setup and see if they don't think their sound will improve.

Oh yeah, I forgot to add the

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

[This message was edited by Herb Steiner on 29 June 2001 at 11:25 AM.]

chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 8:51 am    

Yo Herb, we could expand this to include underwear, thongs or something from the wife's collection
randy

shelbyville, illinois, usa
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 9:04 am    

Herb. The pump seemed to work OK for me but my thumbs, (on my picking hand) hurt real bad after struggling to pull on the nylons. Do you think it might help to shave first.

Mike P. I really like my fake moc's with the cheap thin soles. I dress western and they don't look too bad with the hat.
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 9:44 am    

I prefer loafers with a thin sole or my "blue suede" Hush Puppies.
Dave Robbins

Cottontown, Tnn. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 10:33 am    

Herb,
tried the "pumps" ( now my feet are killing me!)Would you recommend a purse and gloves to match?
By the way ,do you wear nylons or panty hose?I just wondered because my garters kept getting tangled in the knee levers.
Oh yeah, would you recommend 3" heels instead of 4"? Because, I got a runner in the right side from something on the bottom of the guitar.
Thanks sweetie! (I sure hope "Fredericks" carries guitar strings. Then I could do all my shopping there.)

Dave (JUST KIDDIN')

[This message was edited by Dave Robbins on 29 June 2001 at 11:35 AM.]

Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 10:43 am    

Quote:
I say we all should play naked.

Then many of us could add another verticle lever...

the "Johnson lever", named after either the boat motor, or a very famous Texan...
Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 10:45 am    

For practicing / rehearsals I always wear a pair of very worn out but very comfortable sports shoes. On stage, I usually wear a pair of black cowboy boots that fit real well. I may have to warm up for a few minutes to get used to them, afterwards it´s OK. I did a soundcheck in mocassins once and felt completely lost, freqently missed the C pedal... One problem I´ve got to face at the moment is that the pedals on my Dekley have been replaced by its former owner after one of them broke, and are made out of solid iron bars, about the narrowest I´ve ever seen. Playing barefoot or with soft-soled shoes really is no option on that guitar.
Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 12:38 pm    

I'm new to the Forum...had to explain to my wife I didn't know it was a front for cross-dressers!!!

Appreciate the info concerning moccasins, loafers and sneakers.

Regards
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 2:19 pm    

Iam so sorry to have had to delete my original message four times,,however David Van Allen has borrowed the outfit that I wear at times,,,I tried to "cover" the "thing" by deleteing . What I wear is very "provocative and "erotic" and I was hoping that Dave would reply,,,Obviously he has enjoyed wearing what I loaned him and looks like I will never get it back from him.
I do wear panties made of "Fender Tweed" but find them extremly uncomfortable especially in "hot weather" but most of all its the tremolo arm that irritates me most..Dave Give it back please...

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 29 June 2001 at 06:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 29 June 2001 at 09:47 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 30 June 2001 at 12:51 PM.]

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 01 July 2001 at 07:17 AM.]

Scott Moon

Canyon Lake, TX
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 11:11 am    

HERB!!!!!!
The next time we do a "Bush" gig...remind me to set up on the other side of the stage!!! ROFLMUAO!!!!!!!!!

Scott
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 11:59 am    

Scott, if you and Herb called ahead of the gig, you could coordinate your ensembles. It could add a new dimension to the show.
Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 12:31 pm    

The absolute best pedal-pushin' shoes I have found are called Streetcars. They have a real comportable leather upper and a rubber sole with a non-agressive tread.

Tim R.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 2:13 pm    

Herb and Scott, I think you guys are on to something here, do you remember the Cycle Sluts? they had cool outfits. This could take country western music in a new direction and give the Dixie Chicks a run for their money.

[This message was edited by chas smith on 30 June 2001 at 03:15 PM.]

Terry Downs

Wylie, TX US
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 2:38 pm    

I can play equally as bad with any shoe.
John Rickard

Phoenix (It's A Dry Heave) AZ
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 7:43 pm    

Astronaut Boots & Curly Toed Elf Boots are my favorites! Sometimes I'll wear Swim Fins when I need to play 5 or 6 pedals at a time!
JR

Actually VANS are the main footies!

Billy Johnson

Nashville, Tn, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2001 9:11 pm    

Dave Robbins was on the opry with Jean Sheperd.(Sounded great too) I don't know if the camera got a shot of Daves legs or not, but I saw him walkin out of Victorias Secret the other day. I guess you had to be there to see what he was wearin. Not everyone could get away with such a thing.
You go Dave!!!

[This message was edited by Billy Johnson on 30 June 2001 at 10:13 PM.]