| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Blackie Taylor stories or rememberances
Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 2:07 pm    

I posted a thing for Blackie to find an old friend of his, Question for Jerry Hayes. A lot of people have responded to that post with some good stuff about what some of us consider a living legend here on the West Coast, at least in SO. CA. If you have some thing you want to add, as I am compiling stuff for a biography I will write some day on him, please use the Question for Jerry Hayes post or email me direct. Gad, I do love this Forum!!!
Thanks Steven

[This message was edited by Steven Knapper on 12 November 2001 at 02:08 PM.]

Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 3:05 pm    

Steve, email me with a sort of outline of what you're after, I've been swapping info with Blackie for some time and have some interesting tibbits and history.
I'll do it via email as it would from Blackie researcher to another.

Regards
Jason

Email: kingbuzzo@optusnet.com.au
Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 3:30 pm    

Steven! I first met Blackie in 75, when I did a Sho-Bud seminar at his store in Garden Grove, what I remember most was, before the show, he had a little trailer out back, the guys in the band "all great players" poured me about 6or5 shots of something smooth, & when I started my speaking presentation, I kept getting "toungetied"sp "while the guys were cracking up" I somehow got through the playing part, These same guys played all my seminars at several stores in LA & surrounding area, Say a big Howdy to Blackie from me! >Al Udeen

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 9:31 pm    

I used to take lap steel lessons from Blackie Taylor when he was in Hawaiian Gardens in about 1974. I used to drive up from San Diego on a weekly basis during the summertime when I was home from school. He was the closest teacher to me (about 90 miles) and I'd get 1/2 hour lesson all the while he had to answer the phone, etc. and run his shop simultaneously- used to drive me crazy- I almost learned Harbor Lights!
Brandin

Newport Beach CA. USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2001 11:28 pm    

In his Hawaiian Gardens store, the sign in the window said;
"Pedal Steel Capital of the World,
and TV Repair"

Blackie spent a whole day workin' on my guitar,(I stood around and watched) and only
charged me 20 bucks. Needless to say, I like
Blackie.
c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 8:35 am    

At different times during the 50s I subbed in a band ran by a "Blackie".I can't emember his last name but he had a tv program on a station in San Jose, CA. I don't know if this is the Backie you are referring to.
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 8:51 am    

The entire bpock where Blackie is currently located was recently bought by Home Depot. Blackie made out quite well on the deal and will soon be closing down his store. He plans to continue to work out of his garage, selling and repairin steels and of course teaching. He has no plans to ever stop gigging.

For what it's worth, after years of playing a Sierra, and selling every brand on the market, Blackie now says that GFI is the best steel guitar being made today. I'm not in the market for a new guitar, but if I were, based on his recommendation, I'd look very hard at them.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 9:03 am    

When I was attending school in Garden Grove (Orange County, CA), I used to drop by Blackie's store not too far away from there. He was always pleasant and friendly, even if I was just looking.
Many years later I ran into him at one of Tom Bradshaw's steel guitar conventions in Concord (northern CA) and to my surprise, he remembered me!
Of course, he probably doesn't remember me now!

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

Hamilton Barnard

Oro Valley, Arizona (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 9:27 am    

During a lesson, Blackie told me the story of when Price's Foothill club would have country bands playing in shifts. He was leaving the stage when Ralph Mooney was coming on.

Blackie asked him, "How's it going, Ralph." Ralph's girlfriend/wife had just left him.

He replied, "Blue ain't the word for the way that I feel." The rest is history...
Waisznor

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 2:47 pm    

Two years ago on a trip to my daughter in Rancho Cucamonga,CA I looked in the yellow pages for a PSG-Shop to buy some accessoires. I found the address from Blackie Taylor; the little store outside from Riverside was´nt easy to find. But inside the store was filled with nice things: about 6 new Mullen, Evans amps, a used ZB and an old Rickenbacker Lapsteel, many Steel-Awards and others. Mr. Taylor was very friendly to me and I could play some licks on his GFI-Steel. It was a special Steel, custom made for him: one neck was for Steelguitar-playing and the other for regular Guitar-playing but with the special technique from Blackie Taylor.

Befor I left the store, i bought some string-sets and picks from him. He asked me: "What kind of steel do you play?" I answered proud: "Emmmons". He looked very pity to me and gave me some 0.11-strings extra for free and additional a Christmas CD from Paul Franklin!

Horst Waisznor, Berlin
John Paul Jones

San Diego
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2001 2:58 pm    

For may years Blackie Taylor has been, and still is, one of my best friends.

My GFI steel, my Evans amp, my L120 volume pedal, and my picks and several effects devices were bought from Blackie.

I rented an apartment from Blackie and he told me on several occassions that if I wasn't going to make the rent don't worry about it. Fortunately, I always made it.

Blackie financed a travel trailer for me that I lived in for several years. Thank the Lord I never missed a payment on that, either.

I personally know of several incidences where Blackie's friendship knew no boundaries. A case-in-point was when one certain steel player had all his equipment stolen. Blackie sent the guy a steel, amp, volume pedal, picks, and strings.

Another case was a certain guy bought a new high-priced steel from Blackie and never paid Blackie for it. Blackie would not repossess that steel. He kept saying "He'll pay me when he can". That's just the kind of guy he is!

To Blackie.
Everybody knows you're a good guy. I just wanted to let these fine folk know HOW GOOD a guy you really are. I didn't mean to reveal any secrets.

I love you, Man

------------------
John Paul Jones

GFI U-12
Evans FET500 amp
ART T2 effects
HM-4 harmony machine

[This message was edited by John Paul Jones on 13 November 2001 at 03:01 PM.]

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 7:31 am    

I recently purchased a "Hilton" foot pedal and called Blackie prior to the sale for information about the pedal. He was very helpful and consequently I drove down to Riverside with my wife, becky Lee and bought the pedal and a Bjs Bar and very happy with both I might add. Blackie's allright by me..
Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 8:15 am    

John Paul, are you the guy that lived in the travel trailer in the yard there in Rubioux??? I think he said that guy taught 6 string electric. If you are the same guy, I know a lot about you. Told me a story about the night you learning about the number 7, you that guy??
Mike P. if what you say is true, I don't know anything about it, and I see him once a week and talk a bit during the week. I will find out about that one.
And for you guys that wanted to see the Fender 400, I should have a picture on the Question for Jerry Hayes post next week. Thanks guys, keep em coming, love these stories!!! You may end up in my little BIO on Blackie I am compiling.
Steve

Steve
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 9:34 am    

Hey Steve,
Blackie had a Motorhome when he had the store in Hawaiian Gardens which was famous with the ladies. Ask him about the "List" which was on the back of the closet or restroom door (I forgot which). One Helluva dude for sure!

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Sunny Callen

Las Vegas NV USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 12:24 pm    

Hi C.C. - just wondering if that might have been "Black Jack Wayne" - dude had a series of bands in the SF bay area about that time - he worked alot in the north bay area - notably at the Dream Bowl in Vallejo - and several east bay C&W clubs from Richmond down to Oakland -- seemed to always have a local TV show on the air at various times/stations in the bay area - but would also pop up from time to time across the bay in South San Fran, Brisbane, Palo Alto, San Jose, et al. . . . I -seem- to remember him getting his start with "Dude" Martin on the old Hoffman Hay Ride local SF area TV show - which featured -very young- Rusty Draper and Sue Thompson. . .

Sunny Callen
Las Vegas

Fender Custom T-8
Larry Petree

Bakersfield. Ca. USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 12:50 pm    

I am proud to hear all the good things about Blackie. I have known him many many years and have seen him play in many L.A. area clubs. He has always been very helpful in the steel guitar world. You might call him the Bobbee of the Southern California, for that is what he is to us.
Tim Fleming

Pasadena, CA. The other Rose City (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 3:32 pm    

I bought my first steel from Blackie in 1990 (S10 Sho-Bud). I've been back a couple of times to visit and recently saw the CFI guitar with the custom configuration.
The 'different' neck is set up just like a six string guitar with frets and the whole works. The strings are low and he plays it overhand from the sitting position and plays VERY well.
Blackie always spends as much time with me as I want and is always very attentive and courteous. He normally has some pretty freaky steels to behol, as well.
Once he had on display a 'stand-up' pedal steel. It was set up for a guy who headed a group and needed to be more prominant on stage. It was on a very tall set of custom legs with long pedal rods.
Another guitar I saw was an Emmons d-12 p/p. Blackie said it weighed over 100 lbs. A hard sell, no doubt.
I'm glad that after reading the title of this thread that it didn't include news of his passing. It is best to remember those with whom we can still spend time with before we are all brought together in the end.

God bless, Tim
Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 4:06 pm    

Larry, you can put me on that list too. I an proud to be a student, that he took me on as one.
Jerry, am I gonna get in trouble if I ask about that list, are you setting me up for any thing?? Can't wait for Monday cuz I WILL ask ya know!!
Steve
Jason Odd

Stawell, Victoria, Australia
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 7:01 pm    

Sunny, I wondered if C.C.'s Blackie was Black Jack Wayne, but I don't think anyone called him Blackie at any stage.
I asked C.C. about this a while ago, I used to have a beautiful scanned pic of Black Jack, which I sadly seem to have lost. So I didn't have anything to send C.C. to see if he recognised him.

I did chat about this with fellow forumite Gary Walker and he emailed me with some interesting thoughts on the 'Blackie' topic.
As follows:
quote:
Jason I talked to a fella today and mentioned anything about "Blackie" in his
knowlege and he mentioned a Paul Blackburn they called Blackie that worked in
the Central Valley but passed away about 3 years ago and I thought I would
mention it to you if that rings a bell, so far, that's all I have been able
to find, regards, Gary

Other than that, I have come up dry on the other Blackie, the one that C.C. worked with, which is not the Blackie mentioned here.
Any thoughts?

[This message was edited by Jason Odd on 15 November 2001 at 07:02 PM.]

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 7:32 am    

Hey CC,
That might have been a Blackie Crawford who worked that area. I think Bobby Black even worked for him at one time.

Hey Steve,
He'll get a kick out of talking about his "LIST". I know he'll remember it as he was proud of the thing. I had a list too and I think it might have even had some of the same names on it.........

------------------
Have a good 'un! JH U-12

Larry Miller

Dothan AL,USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 11:26 am    

Quote:
i C.C. - just wondering if that might have been "Black Jack Wayne"
Tom Bradshaw told me a couple of months ago that "Black Jack" Wayne lives in Fort Bragg, Calif , and owns and operates a fishing boat. Larry
Sunny Callen

Las Vegas NV USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2001 1:12 pm    

I bought my first steel eons ago from Blackie, at the old Hawiian Gardens store (Fender 400) and took some lessons from Blackie - he is also a great and patient teacher. About that time, I went to Hawaii (Honolulu) on vacation - found Jerry Byrd playing with his trio at the Blue Dolphin Room on the beach. Jerry Byrd, once I introduced myself and told him I was a beginning steel player, spend numerous breaks talking with me and invited my wife and I to a luau at the Royal Hawaiian where he played in the "house" band, again spending time with us on his breaks. When I returned home, I casually mentioned the encounter to Blackie, who pumped me for all the details and admonished me to literally cherish ever moment of that contact as he felt I had been in the presence of a master (I had of course), but as all of you read the threads about Blackie, you'll see that I was also in the presense of a master with Blackie as well. Just saw him late last year in Riverside - I'd bought a Fender Custom T-8 and needed some quality string sets - was in the area and very surprised to find Blackie still active in sales, service and teaching. Called him on the phone on a Saturday and he said that he'd love to see me again, but I needed to hurry and get to the shop before noon because he was headed for his weekly gig in Lancaster! (Gotta be a 150 mile round trip!) - But that's Blackie - like an earlier post said - will never stop giggin'! Also happy to hear he did well on the "Home Depot" land deal! A great player, a real steel pioneer on the west coast and just a heck of a nice guy.