| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Come On....Peavey?
Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 8:58 pm    

I'm new to the forum and PSG but have playing music professionally for a long time.

I'm amazed and delighted at the same time about the use of Peavey equipment.

I guess that, as an acomplished 6 string player first, a recording engineer/studio owner second, and now a beginer PSG, I have an observation.

Peavey guitar Amps have never really been accepted in main streem of the 6 string music industry. Mostly, because they never really could compete with the sound of amps like Fenders. Unfortunate but true. May I say on behalf of Peavey though, they are probably the most reliable units in the market. Night after Night.

Until recently, I gave up on even listening to Peavey Equipment. It was better than the inexpensive stuff, but not as good as others..... Thier newer studio gear made me take another look! What I found was, It's realy great stuff.

Now to my point: I just started this endevor of the PSG. Everywhere I look I see Peavey. 400's, 500's, 1000's, pro fex.....and the list goes on. My initial reaction was WHAT!!! How can these great players use this line. Why not Evans and.....

Now I can tell you why. It seems to be really nice gear. And me of all people are actually in the market to pick up a peavey amp for my steel. I can't believe I said that! Hats off to Peavey. As dependable as ever, great support and sounds good too.

I now wonder how long I was in the dark for. I guess, When my power amp rack was full of QSC, Crown, and Crest amps, AND my trailer with a couple of Peavey CS800's (just in case the good stuff failed), I should have know what was to come.

Again, Hats off to Peavey. Way to go!

Any one else with simular expierences with PEAVEY?

Joe

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2000 9:44 pm    

Hey Joe, I don't know why you say that Peavey has never been accepted in the 6 string guitar industry. Peavey is by far the biggest domestic amp manufacturer (definitely bigger than Fender) and has been for a while.

The Classic series is the largest selling vintage style tube amp series, and you can't argue with Eddie (van Halen) in terms of the shredd market....

Now sound is a subjective thing, but I would put a Peavey classic 30 against any new fender mass market tube amp as well as a lot of higher end gear (e.g. Mesa, Matchless). Sure Peavey puts out some cheezy low end gear, but it's a lot better than the equivalent Korean junk.

My $.02

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 3:24 am    

Funny, I hear a lot of guitar players bad mouthing Peavey amps, but when you look at what they are playing, it's a Peavey amp (and mostly all solid state).

For steel, there are other amps on the market, but for the price the Peavey's can't be beat. A Nashvillle 400 can be bought for about half the price of an Evans and and about a third of the price of a Webb, and I don't see a two or three times price better performance.

However, saying how great Peavey is, I also have the feeling a lot of what they build is "built to a price".
Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 5:52 am    

I gotta say I been using the same 2 two session 500 bought one in 79 and one in 80 but I gotta say a friend bought an Evens and a Webnow these are great sounding amps but the price is almost double if not more then I payed for the 500 and I can't say they sound a lot better and as far as service there is one thing Peavey has that no one else has Mike Brown without Mike I'm not sure I would have stayed with Peavey all this long
Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 7:27 am    

I'm convinced the majority of guitar players never gave Peavey amps a real fair shake. I played through a Peavey Bandit for a couple of years. I originally bought it just to haul to band rehearsals, etc. because it was light and easy to carry, but it had such a great tone I wanted to use it on gigs. I recovered it in tweed and brown and took all the Peavey logos off. Just like a lot of guitar players at the time, I didn't want to 'be seen' playing a Peavey on stage, not cool. But, on more than one occasion I had a player come up on a break and inquire about which 'boutique' amp I was playing through, "the tone was killer". They didn't know it was a Peavey until I told them.....of course my '55 Strat didn't hurt . In fact there's a pic of that amp and guitar on the bio page http://bterry.home.netcom.com/bio.html of my web site. You can see I already had the Peavey logo off, but hadn't recovered it yet.

This may sound crazy, but I think the biggest problem Peavey had early on was the 'butt' ugly aluminum grill strips and the 'awful' original Peavey logo. Just looked like crap to me....

BT

------------------
bterry.home.netcom.com

[This message was edited by Bill Terry on 10 February 2000 at 07:28 AM.]

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 7:33 am    

When I say that Peavey was never really excepted in the main stream..I meant this;

Peavey amps seemed to have been built for a guy who couldn't afford a Pro amp but was to good for a begginer amp. And who knows maybe thats still thier market. And no doubt they have a solid amp with the 5150. It also wouldn't supprise me that its the most bought and sold amp in history. But..this could be because it was always just a intermediate amp line. And all great players were intermediate players at sometime. Only a few of those players ever make to Pro status and had the need for a pro piece of equipment.

One other note. The new amps by Fender and others seem to be catering to this same market, and no longer seem to be "top Notch" either.

And to original point: PEAVEY has come a long way. And I am personaly impressed with what I see. They certainly have a nitch here with the steel players. And I may certainly join the ranks.
Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 7:45 am    

Fender and Gibson is not American made stuff, and hasn't been for a few years. Fender and Gibson is owned by the Japanese. If you have a problem with their foreign equipment, try contacting management and see how far you get. Hartley Peavey and Mike Brown are in Mississippi---THEY WILL HELP YOU!

------------------
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 8:37 am    

Add to my earlier post.

Peavey is the only major instrument amplification manufacturer that caters to the steelers and builds amps designed for steel.

None of the other "biggies" make an amp designed for steel.

One other comment on Fender "qualtity". I used to work as an amp tech. At the time I was doing amp repair there were probably more Fender amps being used than Peavey, but even considering there were more Fender amps at the time, there was a higher ratio of Fender amps brought in for repair than Peavey's.
Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 1:21 pm    

Keith, sorry but Fender and Gibson still do some manufacturing in the U.S. AND ARE OWNED BY AMERICANS. Mr Hartley (Buy American-while I drive a Mercedes) Peavey has had to turn to offshore manufactuing and parts on some products in order to remain price competitive.
Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 4:22 pm    

Jerry, I really don't think I'm wrong about the Japanese owning Fender and Gibson. I would suppose they do build some stuff in this country. They build Honda cars over hear. Electronic parts come from all over the world. If they didn't, no telling what they would cost. I happen to really like Hartley Peavey, because he has been a friend. Hartley always tries to help anyone, and he has really tried to help me. I have nothing against Fender, Gibson, or the Japanese. I hope Hartley Peavey makes a billion dollars. He has spent over 35 years of hard work getting where he is at.

------------------
Bill cole

Cheektowaga, New York, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 5:16 pm    

Hey maybe Mr. Peavey will buy one of them there Mercedes cars for Mike Brown he sure deserves it. And Mr. Peavey as long as you keep putting out these fine steel amps. I don't care if you get your parts from the Moon on the Space Ship
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 8:05 pm    

Excuse me but on the subject of automobiles, seems I recall at some point last year that Chrysler and Mercedes had merged sorta like Ford and Jaguar?! I guess that means Ford and Chrysler are no longer AMERICAN.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Keith Hilton

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 9:29 pm    

My little brother is a mechanical engineer at Ford Motor Company in Dearborn, Michigan. Ford bought out Jaguar. If I possibly can, I buy stuff made in the U.S.A. I drive FORDS.

------------------
Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2000 10:14 pm    

Keith, Gibson is owned by a guy in Oklahoma City that imports Nagra tape recorders (THE portable machine used by documentary film makers to record on location), Fender's majority owner is it's president,Bill Shulzts(sp). Peavey does deserve credit for building product for markets like steel guitar.
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 3:48 am    

Bill Terry is right. Peavey would sell twice the amount of gear if they would put on a decent Logo

Martin

------------------
S-10 Sierra Crown gearless
Jerry Wright

Leeds,Al. US
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 11:11 am    

I bought my Session 500 in 79 and last year I had to spend a big total of $60 on it.That's terrible isn't it?
I left Fender to get ouality and sound.I got a Nashville 400 also.Peavey TubeFex.
If Peavey made a PSG I probaly get one of those too!
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2000 6:24 pm    

I have like Peavey amps ever since I got a Nashville 400, had to sell it after a few years of me aging, not the amp, I got so I couldn't hardly pick it up by the handle, now I have a Peavey Bandit, as one of you mentioned, and I really like it. It has plenty of power and a good tone, and I can still pick it up by the handle and carry it!!What do you know!...al
Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2000 1:30 am    

I got my first Peavey amp in '77 and haven't turned back since. I've had a few different ones, (Session 400-Session 500-Vegas 400-Nashville 400-Session 400 Limited and an old LTD), but I always go back to the old LTD. I would go back to my Session, but alas, I traded it in when I got the Vegas and Nashville. Currently, I'm using an Emmons LLIII and a Danny Gatton Telecaster thru the LTD and the Session 400 Limited.
I have nothing but good to say about Peavey. They've been there with me thru it all and back.

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2000 6:11 pm    

I still have a 1974 Session 400 (first year production) lifetime warranty. Bought it new. I recently put a repro kit in it. It's still the best sounding amp I've played through. For some reason the 74s had a softer tone than any produced after that. I also have a 76 model. Love them. You want mine you have to steal it from me.
Dennis
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2000 7:03 pm    

So, Dennis... uh, what's your address?
fingerstylist

Asheville, N.C. 28803 USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 5:01 am    

Joe, I recently bought a Nashville 400 which has the tone mod built in from the factory, and I don't think I have ever heard a better sound/tone. I play 6 strings and have tried every amp on the market. Peavey measures up to all. Al

------------------
Al Cunningham

[This message was edited by fingerstylist on 13 February 2000 at 05:02 AM.]

[This message was edited by fingerstylist on 13 February 2000 at 05:04 AM.]

Kevin Walker

Roanoke,VA. UNITED STATES
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 9:53 am    

Joe,
The biggest problem with the old CS 800 power amps. was weight. Compared to a QSC, that is. I think PEAVEY has always tried to produce a decent quality piece of equipment FOR THE PRICE. I've owned alot of their stuff, and I've never had any problem as far as reliability or sound quality out of any of it. I kind of see the situation like the posts above, in that I just don't see or hear enough of a difference to justify spending 2 or 3 times the money to own an EVANS' or a WEBB. I've also played thru' FENDER combos, tried a few rack set-ups, and none of these impressed me enough to rush out and buy. I guess the bottom line is: PEAVEY has pretty much succeeded in building a line of amps. for more than twenty years that cater to an instrument and a player that is for the most part, hard to cater to.
Until I see or hear something that's a whole lot different, I'll play thru' PEAVEY amps.
Just my opinion.
Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2000 6:21 pm    

Interesting thread. I own four Evans amps and one Peavey (Classic 50212). I use the Evans for steel, with two staying in flight cases on the trailer, and two at home. I play regular six string thru the Peavey. This amp is as good as any fender amp I've owned over the last 30 or so years. I played Peavey steel amps for years. They sound great and are reasonably priced. All I can say about the Evans amps, is that to my ears they are worth it to me. Your own mileage may of course vary

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Carter D10/Evans

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 5:10 pm    

I think Peavey makes some fine gear! My only complaint so far is the cheap jacks they use. Those plastic-bodied jacks (that solder right to the mainboard) are just not as strong as the "all metal" type. I have had trouble with them in my amp, and know a guitar player and another steeler who have the same problem.

They do not belong in an amp that costs over $500!
Don Discher

Sault Ste Marie,Ontario,Canada
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2000 5:35 pm    

I've had a CS 800 that I use for monitors for 15 years that was used when I bought it and has never been touched,a new audio-pro 3400 power amp that has been sent to the factory 3 times,other than the weight of the 400 and 500 they are great amps for any application.