| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  California" Dreamin' is Becoming a Reality
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2003 7:23 am    

well, with apologies to John Phillips, after the long weekend at iota I am happy to say I was well pleased with the 4ohm Weber California 15" ceramic speaker in the '68 Twin Reverb.

I took both the ZB D10 and the Zum U12 down for the gigs; ended up playing the ZB all night both Friday and Saturday 'cause it sounded so-oooooo goo-ooood.
And the Zum sounded absolutely fabulous as well on Sunday (Lucky me to have two guitars I love)

Subjective analysis follows:

Moderately Louder (likely due to correct impedance match for output tranny and "modern" efficient speaker design, even though advertized as "Vintage Speaker Technology")

Not "brittle" sounding as I feared it may be- not the mellowed with age D130F, but as clear as the proverbial bell with punchy low end, all the mids I felt like giving it, and "sparkly" highs- almost too much, but only almost It is a Fender Twin Reverb after all...

This is the first extended taste of a not-yet-"broken-in" speaker, but if it improves with use I don't know how I'll stand it....

I'm glad I've found an (to me) acceptable substitute for gigging instead of my treasured JBL's, which will now go into storage for a while, then probably into some custom cabinets for recording.

Your mileage may vary.

Ho, Ho, Ho!!

[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 23 December 2003 at 07:26 AM.]

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2003 10:05 am    

Who sold it to you and how much was it?
Dave Van Allen

Doylestown, PA , US , Earth
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2003 11:47 am    

http://www.webervst.com/hps.html

bought direct from weber- a year or so ago 95.00

they are listing for 100.00 on the site today

[This message was edited by Dave Van Allen on 23 December 2003 at 11:48 AM.]

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2003 1:00 pm    

Great, Dave. I finally took out the Dual Showman Reverb (gotta find a shorter name for it) the other night with the Cali 15 in a Marrs cab. They sounded exceptional. I don't see making any speaker changes. I'm in the mismatch thing since it is 8 ohm but the DSR and the Weber are way loud enough. One thing I did do and will still need to evaluate---I put a criss-cross of duct tape across the face of the speaker (not touching the cone or anything) to try to diffuse the highs. Weber sells a piece of hardware called a Beam Blocker that suspends a convex dic in front of the speaker dome for this purpose. I'm trying to find a compromise between nice sparkling mids & lows and ice pick highs.
But anyway, I'm glad you dig the speaker.