| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  LETS get Serious about a system.
Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2003 7:51 pm    

Has anyone used the Peavey VMP-2 Preamp?
Has anyone used the Manley TUBE Direct S? I'm thinking of trying one of these. A guy that works for the BIG PRO music store in Ft. He told me people like Dwight Yoakum uses these. He said they are the ultimate. If any of you guys have access to a Manley Tube Direct S maybe you can try one and let us know. Also i traded for a Evans ESPA preamp and i seem to like it. Is the one with all knobs instead of the toggle switches better for steel. I was talking to a steel player that has tried about everything, He plays a theatre in N.Carolina and he hooked up a BBE Sonic Maxamizer 482 with no preamp and said it is killer. He said his tone is unreal and his soundman could not believe what he was hearing and told him not to change a thing. The guy told me i can send the Manley piece back within 30 days so that is good. I wish i knew if i would like the Manley or the VMP-2 the best. I cant decide on a good PROCESSOR. I want one that will give about any sound but not to complicated if thats possible. Anyone using the Lexicon 550? Please when you comment try to go to a little detail. Its tough when they make so much good stuff.
Thanks for all input!!!

Gary Steele
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2003 9:56 pm    

This is what I want:
http://www.odysseyprosound.com/mm.html#stt1
Gary Steele

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2003 10:46 pm    

Chas Smith, What all will that do? What is the price and model of the one you want?
Thanks, Gary
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 6:58 am    

I hate to be the person to inform you of this, but the Peavey VMP-2 production has been discontinued. Not because it isn't a great product, but because it was a "boutique"(not musician needed it), so it was a relatively slow mover for us and we could use the open production lines.

Jeff Peterson with Clint Black has been beating me up about this, but the VMP-2 was released in 1994 and ran its course. It's kind of like the Profex II situation, ie; everyone wants one when it is not manufactured anymore. Oh yes, ask anyone who owns a VMP-2 and they will tell you that it was one of the best mic pre's in the business, except that the price was several hundreds of dollars less than its competitors. Oh well...onward.
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 9:47 am    

Gary, the STT-1, $2600 approx. On the occasion that I get called to play live, I just plug into an amp. But in my studio, or someone elses, I get to spend time playing around with getting various sounds. Since most of us seem to spend a lot of energy, and money, trying to get the "best" sound, things like this are one more box in the quest of the "holy grail". Do I need one? Probably not, then again, I don't need a lot of guitars. Want and need are not the same.

The STT-1 has a lot of possibilities. The pre, the opto-compressor, the para-eq and the de-esser each have a solid state and a tube counterpart to select from and at the input, there is the option of switching in a transformer, for a 'fatter' sound. I would love to spend some time with one of these things, just to see what it does. Crane Song is another interesting company for really expensive things.

[This message was edited by chas smith on 20 March 2003 at 09:49 AM.]

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2003 1:11 pm    

Gary,

To answer your question, yes I have a VMP2. It is a 2 channel class A tube mic pre. It has some EQ capability. It will boost/cut trebel and bass on each channel. No midrange control, no paraEQ. IT is a great preamp, but you will want more EQ control I think. They can be found on eBay for about $800-$1000. 2rack space. about 20 lbs.

EFX. I have been looking only, at the Lexi MPX G2. Check the website lexicon.com.

IT looks very flexible. You can place efx in front of your preamp, or the efx loop of your amp. It can act as its own preamp with eq,comp, etc. IT emulates every stomp box effect you ever heard of and has the great Lexi reverbs.
About $1000 on eBay new. $1400 new at Musician's friend. Some stores have a 30 day trial period.

The answer lies in the sum of all the parts. Not any one box.

Walker's Stereo Steel is a good all around rig. 2 15" cabinets your choice of new BW or JBL 130 recones, a digitech efx, and his amp. I am sure you could sub another efx unit.

The hunt is on!

Good luck

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2003 7:19 am    

I've got a new Langevin DVC, which is a two channel, pure discrete class A preamp, with optical limiter. It does a remarkable job on virtually any signal you send it. Not cheap however as it lists at $2k. You can check out my studio stuff at www.brazosaudio.com

------------------
God Bless,
Steve Stallings

www.thenightshiftband.net