| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Problem with Peavey Nashville 1000
Tele

Andy W. - Wolfenbuettel, Germany
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2001 11:54 pm    

Hi
I'm looking for any input to fix this problem.
I have a rather new Nashville 1000 that I bought second hand a couple of weeks ago. When turned on the amp starts with a loud hiss that disappears after appr. 15 seconds. After playing that thing for maybe 30 minutes the hiss comes back and stays. It's not as loud and doesn't bothers me in a live situation but at home or while recording its pretty annoying.
Any ideas????

Andy

------------------
1961 Sho~Bud D-9:1962 Sho~Bud D-10:1966 Sho~Bud D-10 : 1969 Sho~Bud D-10 : Bigsby T-8
My steels
ShoBud Gallery

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2001 5:24 am    

Please contact me here at Peavey and I will assist you with this symptom. I can be reached toll free in the U.S. at 1-877-732-8391 or by e-mail at mikebrown@peavey.com

Thanks.
Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 3:02 am    

Hey Andy, I bought a brand new Nashville 1000 that does the same thing. Its been gone back to a repair station now for over 2 months. Im thinking about just getting my money back and getting myself an Evans. Seems to me that you could rebuild the entire amp from scratch in two months.

Rick
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 5:38 am    

Rick, Two months is to long! You should contact Mike Brown and give him the name of the repair station. If it is a Peavey authorized one, he could probably help.
If it isn't, I'd have a serious discussion with the tech working on it and find out why it is taking so long.
Then, I'd take the Amp and ship it to Peavey. Especially if it is still under warranty.
I spent almost 4 years as a service manager and lots more than that as a tech. Long delays should only happen if a critical part is hard to obtain. If they can't locate the problem, they should send it to someone who can. Meaning the manufacturer.
I have several Peavy amps and have always found their repairs and customer service to be the best.
Blake
Tele

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 5:41 am    

Well...I cannot say a bad word about this amp except that it has this little "hiss" problem.
I'm used to Standel and Fender tube amps so I am/was very picky as far as sound goes...and I have to admit this Nashville1000 is a very fine sounding amp that totally amazes me.

But since I play it very often at home it could be a bit quiter, that's for sure.
Oh, btw, I live in Germany so sending the amp back is nothing I could do. Not even to a service station since noone sells these amps over here, actually noone sells any Peavey gear in my area!!!!
Andy

------------------
1961 Sho~Bud D-9:1962 Sho~Bud D-10:1966 Sho~Bud D-10 : 1969 Sho~Bud D-10 : Bigsby T-8
My steels
ShoBud Gallery

[This message was edited by Tele on 02 July 2001 at 06:43 AM.]

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 7:32 am    

Tele, how are you setting the input and master gain controls. Do not set them like you would for a lead guitar. Set the input gain lower than the master gain. On my Nashville 400 I set the Input gain at 4 and the Master (output) gain at 6 for most playing. The 1000 is probably about the same.

If you set the input gain up high and then have the master gain low it could add some noise (hiss).
Tele

Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 7:36 am    

Jack

this has nothing to do with an amp setting, it's a problem the amp has or maybe the reverb???
I could make a short *.wav file for all you solid-state amp buffs..

Andy

------------------
My steels
ShoBud Gallery

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 10:46 am    

I have nothing but good things to say about Peavey and their customer service.

If I am not mistaken, the 2nd post in this thread was from Mike Brown offering to help.
Could not be better than this.

Bill
jerry wallace

Artesia , NM (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2001 11:08 am    

I have owned a 1000 for 2 years now using it everyday with no problems at all..I dont think anyone makes a totaly perfect,trouble free product..Overall, I think Peavey is the most reliable,and has the best service of anyone..I have owned other brands,and any of them can have problems..
For me,Peavey cant be beat for sound,reliability,and service..I guess thats why I have a Nashville 1000, Two Session 500's,A Session 400,Tubefex and Profex..I know If I have any trouble,Peavey and Mike Brown will Bust their a** to get me fixed up!!Thats worth a lot to me.

------------------
Jerry Wallace- "98 Zum: D-10,8+8, "96 Zum: D-10,8+5,Nashville 1000,Session 500 ,Session 400 head only amp,Tubefex,ProfexII, Artesia, New Mexico

Rick Garrett

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 2:19 am    

In all fairness, Mike has been helpful. I posted a message when I got my 1000 that there was a problem and Mike emailed me right out of the clear blue saying I should take the amp back to have it fixed. I just didnt know it was going to take MONTHS to do it.

Rick
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 5:48 am    

B Cole is right. ALL electronics manufacturers have "engineering changes" especially on new products. Sometimes after they have been in the field for a while a certain problem may show up that never showed up in the engineering or test labs.

I've seen it on a lot of equipment, including "big blue" (IBM), AT&T, Racal-Datacom, etc, etc.

The "tone mod" for the Nashville 400 is an example of an engineering change that was put into production. The original Nashville 400's with the older 1502 speaker had plenty of lows and it looks like the amplifier was designed around the characteristics of the 1502. When they went to the 1501SB speaker, it has different response characteristics and consequently the response curve had to be modified for that speaker.
Tele

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 6:00 am    

wow, lots of input but......unfortunately I still need asolution for this problem..any ideas what it might be???

Andy

------------------
My steels
ShoBud Gallery

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 8:52 am    

This is not about "Mike Brown" or "Hartley". This is about an amp that has a problem. Hartley Peavey's name is on each and every product that is shipped from Peavey Electronics and I have taken the responsibility of assisting RICKGM with the repair. Hartley Peavey and all Peavey employees stand behind what is manufactured at Peavey facilities. Our service track record proves this. Do you see any other steel amp manufacturer on this website on a daily basis? I don't think so.

It is vacation time for a lot of folks during this time of the year so things take a bit longer, but I have spoken with the selling dealer about this and we are both working to resolve the problem. I trust that you understand our situation here.

Since "Tele" doesn't use his real name or include his address, I can't assist. But, I did notice that he is in Germany. Since the Nashville 1000/Session 2000's are not safety certified for export markets, I hope that the problem is not related to this. However, I will be glad to put him in touch with our distributor for assistance in his area.

As previously stated, we do stand behind our products. If we fail to properly repair a Peavey item after being at the factory, we will gladly take a second look at it if given a timely notice. If we don't hear anything, we assume that the product is working fine.

Our toll free consumer hotline number is 1-877-732-8391. One other thing, we are still located in the U.S. and still take direct phone calls from our customers. No recorders here.

Mike Brown
Peavey Customer Service

Tele

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 9:27 am    

Hey Mike

my real name is right there next to the post
I did sent you an email, sounds like you didn't get it??!!!
et me set this straight, I never said a bad word about Peavey as a company, your service or even the amp itself. Its a remarkable amp and everyone that knows me well enough will be pretty suprised by this statement.
Yes the amp is in use in Germany, but I don't think it has something to do with it not being CE approved.
It sounds just like a simple problem that could be fixed very easily. I'm trying to find out who deals with Peaveys over here but I guess it won't be a warranty covered repair since this amp isn't an export model.

Please reply to this thread only if you have an idea what the problem could be. Thanks
Andy

PS. hey I have no problem with posting my address, it's :
A. Wernicke
Gaertnerwinkel 18
38302 Wolfenbuettel
Germany

------------------
My steels
ShoBud Gallery

Mike Brown

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 11:27 am    

I apologize, my oversight.

The distributor of your area is;
Peavey Electronics Ltd.
Great Folds Road
Oakley Hay
Northants
Corby NN18 9 ET
UNITED KINGDOM
44-1536-461234

Reading a post in print is not the same as seeing someone's facial expressions or hearing their tone of voice. So, please except my apologies my "tone" came across to you in a negative manner.
Tele

Post  Posted 3 Jul 2001 11:30 am    

Hey..no apologies needed here!!!!! I was amazed that my simple little problem caused so much "trouble"...had no problem with your tone nor with the tone of this fine amp that's just "hissing" behind me

Andy

------------------
My steels
ShoBud Gallery

Danny Hullihen

Harrison, Michigan
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 4:20 am    

I have been using Peavey's service department for over a decade, and in all this time, I have never had to wait more than three weeks to get a product back from them from the time it was shipped.

Although there has been a time or two when I've had to ship the same amp back to Peavey, it has never been for the same problem(s).

I have personally met with many of Peavey's service Tech's over the years, and I can assure you that ALL of Peavey's personnel in this department are highly skilled and very knowledgable at their trade. Peavey Electronics is a company that believes in "team work" quality, and customer satisfaction, and they practice this faithfully in each and every department throughout the entire company.

As one example, I know for a fact that on several occasions, Mike Brown has taken steels amps that have been repaired out to his gigs to make sure that the amp was working properly. This is on "his own time". He doesn't have to do this, and he doesn't get paid to do it! Mike does this because he sincerely cares about the customers satisfaction, as does everyone at Peavey Electronics. I know of NO other amplifier manufacturer who has demonstrated this level of dedication to its customers.

With regard to Hartley Peavey, here's something to think about... If it wasn't for Hartley Peavey's sincere dedication and care about us steel players, consider, if you would, what your choices would have been for steel amps over the last 15 years or so, and perhaps even more importantly, what your choices would be today.

Granted, there are other music equipment and sound gear manufacturers that have been in the business as long as, or longer than Peavey, but can you name one that builds amplifiers specifically for steel players? What's more, how about one that cares enough about steel players needs to even listen?

As an example, I own just about every "steel amp" that's been made, all the way back to a 1947 Rickenbacker, and some very old Peavey's as well. I can still get my Peavey amps repaired if they should break, however, I can't say that for all the other brands I have. In one case, (I won't mention any names here,) I have an amp that broke down within the first year that I got it. I can't get this amp repaired by ANYBODY at ANY cost. This amp (a steel amp) is only three years old! There are no parts, no retro-fits, and no service available anywhere. What's worse, it's cost me over $300.00 now in bench fees and shipping to find this out... and the amp still doesn't work. Chances are very good that it never will again either! How's that for a $1400.00 steel amp?

What I'm trying to convey here is that before you start throwing stones at Peavey, take a good hard look at the big picture.

Peavey has been around for more than 30 years now, and will probably be around long past most of our times here on Earth. Keep that in mind when you decide it's time for a steel amp, be it new or used.

I don't do much road work anymore these days, but if I did, I know what brand of amp I would have with me that I can definately rely on, and I would know "who" will "be there" for me in the unlikey event it should ever quit working. PEAVEY...
Tele

Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 8:17 am    

well a funny thing happened today....the problem nearly fixed itself...(hopefully)!!??..when I turn the amp on, it starts with a hiss, but now its only for 2 seconds, the hiss comes back after maybe a minute and then disappears. Hm, spooky, okay there is still a fault but one I could live with. Maybe its different next week

Andy

------------------
1961 Sho~Bud D-9:1962 Sho~Bud D-10:1966 Sho~Bud D-10 : 1969 Sho~Bud D-10 : 1969 Emmons D-10 : Bigsby T-8
My steels
ShoBud Gallery

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2001 8:45 am    

Tele, if you're up to it take the amp out of the cabinet and check all cable connectors and push down on all chips to make sure they are seated in the sockets, etc. It's worth a shot to see if that fixes it.

It it does, it will save you a lot of trouble trying to find someplace in Germany or Europe to have it repaired.