| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  best tuning for a melobar Skreemr ?
Didi Waechtler

Gelnhausen, Hessen, Germany
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2003 11:37 am    

Hi forummembers,
I need some ideas about a nice tuning for my 10 string melobar stand up skreemr. I think the best is to tune it in a open G, D or E to could play distorted or clean? But I use it most for countrymusic. Maybe there's a tuning i can have 2 types in one, both of two worlds (for excample: C6 and normal open major tuning)
Any ideas ?
Thanks

Didi Waechtler
Germany
JCH PSG D-10
SGI PSG
Melobar SXL, Skreemr
Rick.38 and Double 8
Manzanita Crossbreed Dobro
Orig. Dobro 1972

------------------
www.dietmarwaechtler.cool.am[/URL]
didisteel@aol.com

[This message was edited by Didi Waechtler on 23 November 2003 at 11:39 AM.]

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2003 3:20 pm    

Hi, Didi, tunings are surely a deep and somewhat personal pursuit. That being said, if it were 6 strings I might recommend open G (Dobro) tuning as it's way more versatile than many realize. For ten strings, if it were me, I'd go with C6. All the clean country, pop, Hawaiian phrasings of course, and to me C6 is a great rock tuning with or without distortion. It's all in there...

------------------
Stop by the Steel Store at: www.markvanallen.com
Denny Turner

Oahu, Hawaii USA
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2003 4:32 am    

Didi,

The "right" tuning for each person can be either an evolutionary thang, or with just a bit of study and understanding the horizontal voicing math and gauges of geetar strings, ...a person can better determine themselves what will serve their musical tastes and direction the best.

CASUALLY reading over the stuff (5 times works wonders) on the links provided below will go a LONG way in your choosing an initial open root and tuning that will still allow you to experiment with different tunings with the same set of strings (gauges):

You might want to look at this webpage about the mechanics of open tunings, particularly tunings' relationships to string gauges and vice versa, ...as well as getting your favorite slide / steel licks out of broader voiced tunings. And this webpage and it's accompanying lesson shows why a 6th tuning is so versatile, rather complete and popular. With 10 strings you sure have allot of flexibility that maybe those 2 webpages might help you determine what's best for the styles you play or want to play.

Some 10 string tuning ideas that go a long way for my Country, Blues, Rock and Jazz tastes are (from low to high string): (1) (3) 5 6 b7 1 3 5 6 1 3 (9); With note (1) optional for a low root in slide guitar styles (like open blues-G) or other personal preferences in all styles, ...and note (3) optional for ease of congruency in both octaves for all styles, or note (9) instead of the low notes (1 or 3) for very nice country and/or jazzier / spacier / airy fusion or rock styles. You can also drop the b7 and use the low (1 or 3) and the (9); Or for "simplicity" / continuity in both octaves you can use a simple 2 octave 6th tuning 1 3 5 6 1 3 5 6 1 3. The webpage about open tuning mechanics mentioned above will explain how you can get the licks of "all" slide guitar style triad open tunings from 2 octaves of triads, ...PLUS the great versatility of the 6th tuning for ALL styles as well.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO WANT TO EXPERIMENT AROUND WITH DIFFERENT OPEN TUNINGS / VOICINGS (without changing string gauges), you will want to have a good grip on how fitting string gauges to your chosen initial tuning' (and vice versa) will effect what root notes and voicings you can use on what string(s) within the reasonable limits of your strings' gauges. If you use an "E" root, then you can count on being able to reasonably figure out how to tune to other popular open steel and slide voicings within the strings' gauge limits, since that's the spanish guitar root that established open tuning voicings to begin with. Example: If you're going to change from an E root open tuned voicing, to an open tuned voicing with G, A, C or D as a root, then you're going to have to either shift the root and voicing over a string or two so it fits within the string gauges' limits, ...or change the strings to gauges that will serve a more specific root voicing you want to use; Which brings us right back to why "E" root is predictably versatile for experimenting with different open tuning voicings without having to change strings.
Didi Waechtler

Gelnhausen, Hessen, Germany
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2003 3:05 am    

Hi Denny and Mark,
many thanks for your answer and ideas.
Best Wishes
Didi Waechtler
Germany

------------------
www.dietmarwaechtler.cool.am[/URL]
didisteel@aol.com