| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Had to change my strings. :(
erik

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 12:07 pm    

WEll, after stupidly downtuning my 6-string electric and subsequently retuning, i broke my high E-string. I loved the sound of my strings and i don't know what they were. I figured they were .10s but what brand? What composition? I bought a set of D'Darrio XLs. They sound a bit harsh. Hope they mellow out with time. Considering my guitar cost $80 this may sound stupid but i had a tone thing going for a while. If only i could figure out what brand they were. Maybe they are SS, how can i tell?
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 1:55 pm    

Well they pretty much all look the same. Next time keep the wrapper in your guitar case. I have been using Fender 150 L's for over 20 years now, ( 10's on top) I like the consistency and tone and they just feel good to me on my Telecaster. I buy them by the case so it's hard not to remember whats on the guitar when I've got at least 7 or 8 sets in waiting. DO you know if they were stainless steel or Nickel, or flat wound ? That could be a starting point as there are several quality strings in those catagories.
Also the wrap on the ball end may help a good string dealer with identity, maybe.

Good luck
tp
erik

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 5:35 pm    

Thanks for the thoughts Tony. The strings that were on were not stock because i know they are .10s I suspect the guitar was bought then returned with different strings. They are roundwounds,but how can i tell if they are stainless or not? They are tarnished as i've had them on for over a year. But they sounded sweet... or should i say, hit the tone sweet spot for my particular set-up. These new strings i got sound kinda scooped. My old ones had cutting mids. I've got this down to a science. I can only use a certain pick to get "my" sound. But now that sound is not entirely there.
erik

Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 5:47 pm    

I'd like to add. Even though this guitar is cheap it stays in tune very well. I've only retuned these new strings once, went out for a few hours and yep, still in tune. Amazing considering how thin the neck is.
Martin Weenick

Lecanto, FL, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2002 11:34 pm    

Try a magnet on your little "E" string, if it dont stick, its stainless.

------------------

Martin W. Emmons LG III 3/5 Peavy 1000
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 12:00 am    

Hi Erik, I would try a set of Fender 150's ( Nickel wrap) or Bullets which I believe are stainless, I am not saying they are the answer but they come in both stainless and Nickel wound and the 10's on top are a standard size. You can be the judge as to how you like them. In my opinion, Stainless steel seems to have a tad more brightness but they are supposes to last longer so who knows. I have found for my taste, ( Tele and strats) nickel wound seem to be a tad warmer. I believe any quality string will be consistent, store brands are not the answer though so I would stay away from those.
good luck
tp
nick allen

France
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2002 4:01 am    

This may be stating the obvious, but I suspect any new strings are liable to sound different than your year-old strings... The answer may just be patience... Keep those D'Addarios on for a year, and THEN see if they sound the same as the old ones did...
Nick
erik

Post  Posted 23 Jul 2002 2:51 pm    

Well, this is strange: I tried a refrigerator magnet on the old strings, it sticks to all of them. So that means they are nickel? And if so, how come my strings stayed sounding so good after a year? I have more cutting treble on the old ones then these new ones. hmmm
erik

Post  Posted 29 Mar 2003 8:31 pm    

Well, after trying about 5 different brands I finally put my old strings back on (3rd time) and added a newer high E string(to replace the broken one). They still sound great! They are super soft too.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2003 9:54 am    

Hello....Any year old strings are bound to be streched and have thin spots from fret contact and just generally be harmonically shot to hell.If that's what you call good - enjoy. I change my strings every month or so - twice that often if I'm playing 3 gigs a week or more. I happen to think that the clean bright sound of new strings is a desirable sound and for those who don't, that's what tone controls on an amp are for.
Don Walters

Saskatchewan Canada
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2003 10:57 am    

I may have this wrong, but it's my understanding that it's only the wound strings in a set that are nickle or stainless. The plain strings are the same in both types of sets

??
erik

Post  Posted 4 Apr 2003 1:45 pm    

Thanks to everyone for offering suggestions. I am happy to say that I found a set that duplicate the sound I was looking for. Believe it or not i'm using Gibson Brites. They are smooth, clear, loud, and brite to boot. I don't know if they are made specifically for medium scale but they work and sound great for long. Anyone using a Strat or Tele should give these a try. They feel like silk too. It's amazing how strings can sound so differently from each other.
David Doggett

Bawl'mer, MD (formerly of MS, Nawluns, Gnashville, Knocksville, Lost Angeles, Bahsten. and Philly)
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2003 5:10 pm    

Right, the plains and cores are all steel, only the windings come in nickel or stainless. I've heard of bass players loving dead strings, but never heard that from a six stringer. But I have noticed that new strings aren't nearly as important on electric instruments as on acoustics. Still - a year! Man, that's really pushing it. Broken strings are a gitar's way of saying, "Change me, please!"