| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Strap-on keyboards thingies
John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 5:14 pm    

I hear that over at the Strap-on Keyboard Thingies Forum they're really excited that Shania Twain has chosen to include the strap-on keyboard thingie in her band.
"With that kind of exposure to our beloved instrument, no more will us Strap-on Keyboard Thingie players have to endure insipid questions about what their instrument is, or what they're doing with their left hand", insiders say.
Apparently Thingie players are kind of clannish, and sensitive to suggestion that their instrument is subject to stereotyping. They prefer to hang around other Thingie players to discuss tunings and technique, rather than have to deal with the other musicians who don't seem to understand them.
So, I thought it would be safer if I asked here; What the heck are these things anyway? And what are they doing with their left hand ?

-John
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 6:00 pm    

Keeping their left hands in their pockets would have been the right choice given how cold it was here John!

You're sure those things weren't clarinets or saxaphones or lap steels or something?

Finally, an instrument less capable of general recognition than a pedal steel.....

Anyway, with your prodigious keyboard skills I'm sure that you want to get you a couple of them!
ebb

nj
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2002 6:20 pm    

but do they have push/pull threads on the strap on forum
Dave Boothroyd

Staffordshire Moorlands
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2002 12:45 am    

They use their left hands to operate the pitch bend wheel so thay can play the line that the steel player used to play before he was fired.

Pigeons, may I introduce you to the cat?
Cat, meet the pigeons.
Ricky0ne1

West Peoria, IL, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2002 2:07 am    

Thank You Mr. Steele... thought it was just me who saw the humor in strap-on-keyboard- thingies appearing in bands other than 'Josie and the Pussy Cats'...
it took me almost 5 min to stop laughing so I could type..
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2002 12:32 pm    

Just forthe record, to show that at least someone is thinking of the children---ED----I'M SHOCKED!!!
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2002 2:19 pm    

Strap this on, John!

This is a high end unit called "Le Key", similar to a Roland AX1.

The neck controls: program up and down, sustain, octave switch, sustenuto, sequencer start/stop, three slider controllers, two button controllers and a data knob.

Get a wireless unit and you can march with it!
http://www.strap-on-thingy-forum.com

[This message was edited by Joey Ace on 26 November 2002 at 02:46 PM.]

John Steele

Renfrew, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2002 2:37 pm    

That's it !
Thanks Joey.

BTW, Bob, I got an e-mail from the moderator of the Saxophone Forum today about your spelling. They're very hurt, and want to send a delegation over to your house.
I might have to get a Le Key for my new band, Vapid and Rapid. Hiring those 8 teamsters to carry the 7' Steinway around while I dance really cuts into the profits. And they're so unsightly onstage.
-John
p.s. Oh, yeah:
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2002 3:11 pm    

Hey John, the Teamsters aren't among the unions I represent, so its ok with me if you use, say, Operating Engineers to fling your Steinway around. In fact, one good crane operator, properly equipped, could probably do the job, and there wouldn't be any jurisdictional disputes either! Or what about actors, I've been doing some work for ACTRA these days......

My humble apologies to the Saxophone forum, although being angry at me for my spelling gaffe was probably a nice diversion from all the whining they no doubt do about the state of modern music.

[This message was edited by Bob Blair on 27 November 2002 at 01:36 PM.]

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2002 5:26 pm    

Le Key...for the enthusiast who finds the audio component of music boring.

We already have strap-on steels. Every time I've heard one, the heavy distortion is on and it sounds like Le Chainsaw.

Maybe J. S. Bach could've made something of himself with Le Harpsichord.
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2002 8:19 pm    

The only time I thought those things were cool was during my stint with King Cotton. We had a bass player originally from Boston - a Berkeley grad named Phillip Bynoe who had grafted one together with a 5 string Steinberger bass and drove a Planet Phat midi module with it.He ran the whole contraption thru an Ampeg SVT.He played the bass neck normally and could slap and pop like Jaco.Then for certain things he would play keyboard bass with his right hand or both hands - but my favorite thing he did was to tap the bass neck like a Chapman Stick with his left hand or both hands whilst pecking out counterpoint and pedalpoint figures with his right hand on keys.He is truly the black Junior Brown of funk.He's a great singer as well with a deep rich R&B voice.I think he's been performing recently with Steve Vai and some weekend gigs with Kevin Eubanks around L.A. Check him out if you get a chance. -MJ-
BDBassett

Rimrock AZ
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2002 9:27 pm    

Didn't 'STRAP-ON-KEYBOARD-THINGIES' used to be called ACCORDIANS? Let's ask Tom Quinn.

BD
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2002 10:15 pm    

I think the inclusion of the "Strap-on-keyboard-thingie" is intended as a segway to a guest appearance on the RED-GREEN SHOW.
erik

Post  Posted 28 Nov 2002 5:25 am    

Just over 20 years ago the Allman Brothers Band were touring with one of these players. He was good but very out of place. He was using a Yamaha.