| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it just me, or is this really patently offensive?
Bob Shilling

Berkeley, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 1:33 pm    

CrowBear sez, longingly:
quote:
Who do you think is going to get and play it?

Todd sez, angrily:
quote:
Because Gibson is going to PROFIT on other people's religiosity. If they were giving all
the profits to charity, then I might feel differently. How do I know they're not? Because
they haven't said they were. Companies this big will ALWAYS say they're donating profits
to charity when they are. If they HAVE said that somewhere, and I didn't see it, I
apologize. However, if they ARE profiting through this, it's not right, IMO. If this is the
case, then IT IS NO DIFFERENT THAN THE MONEY CHANGERS IN THE TEMPLE!!! You don't
agree???

Gibson sez, with finality:
quote:
The Tribute to the Birth of Christ will be on display at the Gibson
Bluegrass Showcase in Opry Mills in Nashville, Tennessee, during the Christmas 2000 and 2001 New Year's seasons.
Afterwards, the instrument will remain in Gibson Guitar Corp.'s permanent collection of unique and treasured instruments.

It ain't for sale. Everybody relax. H H H

------------------
Bob Shilling, Berkeley, CA--MSA S10

Ken Lang

Simi Valley, Ca
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2000 8:35 pm    

I think there may be a point missing so far in this thread. While Christmas seems to be more about spending money and less about its religious meanings, and growing that way more every year, it appears Gibson is sending a message.

While companies are stopping sponsorship of TV shows that don't spout the correct political view of the moment, or withdraw a product that might **** somebody off because there might be a religious connection implied and it offends some people, Gibson has crafted this instrument and stood back with their hands on their hips and said, "This IS in honor of Jesus Christ and celebrates the 2000th year His coming."

Whether you think the guitar looks corny or gawdey or beautiful is beside the point I think. I believe Gibson and their employees have made a strong statement as to how they feel about Christmas and its meaning.

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 3:05 pm    

Ken, very nice words. That's what I've been trying to say all along, I just couldn't word it right. Thanks!

P. S. I believe the guy that posted this post owes the world an apoligy, for it is not for sale. The reason he started this was he thought they were trying to rip God off by making dough off Jesus. That's totally untrue. To anwer your question, Todd, (is it just me, or is this really patently offensive?) IT'S JUST YOU!

------------------
Abraham - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.
My Website!
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 5:03 pm    

I personally don't think any apologies are called for here, and I don't think it's just Todd. Takes all kinds in this world. We don't always agree. Why don't we just leave it at that?
Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 5:06 pm    

Your Right! I got carried away, and this has gone too far. I'm Sorry!

------------------
Abraham - MSA D-10 Pedal steel, standel amp, George L 10-string bar, 2 finger picks and 1 thumb pick.
My Website!
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2000 5:30 pm    

Thank you, Bob Shilling for clearing up what Gibson intended. I appreciate it. To know that this is a one-of-a-kind instrument for display only makes me have a 180 degree turn around in my point of view, regarding their intent. Pardon my cynicism, but Gibson used to build good instruments that mortals could afford once long ago. Lately, I've seen their product grow inferior, while the prices move... uh... heavenward.

It seems everything is just another cheezy marketing gimmick with them now, and my initial reaction was "well, here they go again" -- only in the most blasphemous (at least to me) way this time. As Mr. Shilling has pointed out however, this is obviously not the case. So for that, I DO apologize for going off half-cocked. I should have dug a little further into what they were up to.

As to my feeling regarding its artistic merits (not it's quality, mind you), well, I reserve comment. As it was said earlier, to each his own. What can I say? I'm from Wisconsin. I like real cheese.

Merry Chrismas to all of you.

------------------
Todd James Weger/RD/RTD
www.franchise-yourself.com
1960 Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6)

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 9:55 am    

BTW who's name is inlaid on the fingerboard ?
it looks like Gothic but i can't read the name. Lord have Mercy.
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2000 12:44 pm    

If I remember right, the web page text said the text on the fretboard says "Jesus Christ".
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 11:22 am    

I don't mean to stoke the fire up again, but . . .

Apparently nobody believes a company can PROFIT unless they SELL an item.

I'm not going to waste time by trying to explain how a company can profit tremendously from the publicity gained by simply displaying an item.

Suffice to say that it's done all the time by a lot of different companies. Whether or not Gibson so intended is another question.
Cairo Zoots

Moville, Iowa ,next to the west fork of the Little Sioux River
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 11:59 am    

I have it on Good Authority that Jesus played a FENDER TELECASTER!

------------------
ree-oo-dee-doo

Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 12:19 pm    

Tom, this came up on another internet site, where a similar comment was made, and I made an observation similar to yours, as shown below.....

Bucky
(12/25/00 10:43:53 am)

Re: The most beautiful Gibson ever?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calm down...
It's a one-of-a-kind tribute by a master craftsman.

I agree it would be quite "tacky" (or much worse) if it was a "for sale" item, but it's not.

Read the story at the above link for more info.

Nothin wrong with a skilled craftsman making an elaborate tribute to comemerate his God.

Peace on Earth, Goodwill to all....

B.F.

Pat Burns
(12/25/00 2:03:05 pm)

..If It Quacks Like A Duck, It's A Duck..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...nothing wrong at all, if the craftsman quietly did it in the privacy of his home or church and kept it there...

..this "craftsman" put Gibson's name on the guitar and put it up front and center on Gibson's website for all to see...call it what you want, that's advertising for Gibson, and using Jesus to do it, and that's tacky...

...If Kenmore put a mural of Jesus' birth on a refrigerator and stuck it in the window at Sears for all to admire, I think there would be some complaints...this is exactly the same thing..
Mike Bieber

New York, N.Y.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 8:12 pm    

Did Todd really say "Religiosity"? So did our incoming president, heh heh...
Will Gibson be offering a DAvid Koresh model? How about a Dalai Lama Flying V?
tune in to find out!
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 8:46 pm    

Good point Mike!

I don't think it's too ridiculous to say that if Gibson had produced a "Mohammed" edition, we'd be staring straight down the barrel of an incomming Arab ICBM.

The only point I'm trying to make here is that there is something to be said about Western (and particularly American) freedom of expression. Let your freak flag fly!!
Harry Hess

Blue Bell, PA., USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2001 11:09 pm    

In any event... that's a Super 400... the coolest arch top ever made. This particular one is a real beaute. Probably costs so much though that Jesus may be the only guy who can afford it.

Gibson has been producing "Commeration" guitars that go for extremely high prices for some time now. God only knows who can afford them. With all of the events and people they have commerated on these guitars... it seems fitting to me that they commerate the 2000th anniversary of the birth of Christ. And I think Jesus would approve. I don't see any problem with it... except that I can't afford it!

Regards,
Harry Hess
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 7:04 am    

Quote:
How about a Dalai Lama Flying V?

NOW THERE is something I could go for! Little mala beads and bodhisattvas adorning the lower bouts...
Todd Weger

Safety Harbor, FLAUSA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 7:44 am    

Quote:
Did Todd really say "Religiosity"? So did our incoming president, heh heh...

Mike - this WOULD be funny, except that it's a REAL WORD! And nope, I didn't vote for the incoming prez (or the other guy, either, for that matter).

TJW
Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 2:48 pm    

Come off it guys! You can't do nothing to change it! Besides, this is an old post! How'd it get on here?

------------------
My Website!

Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 4:52 pm    

I remember the time back in the early 70s when a friend of mine bought a nice Gibson "All American" 5 string Banjo which was immediately poo-pooed by a lot of people who saw it. The guy (my friend)was so thrilled to have saved up enough money (rather expensive at the time) and to have ordered it directly from scource, and to play it and show it off to anyone who was mildly interested in the artwork, then some person to come along and "put down" all that the guy and his new toy stood for was in my mind - - pathetic.
Anyone who has the capability to work that kind of artwork on any kind of instrument no matter what it is - deserves all the credit that`s due to either him or her.
Just looking at the pictures (this monitor can no way do them justice) the guys should be commended for their content, not ridiculed in any kind of way.

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------
Steve Feldman

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 6:49 pm    

Shoot - I used to have a 1919 Fairbanks Vega #3 Tubaphone (open back) banjo. This thing had a beautiful carved heel and some real nice inlay on the headstock and fretmarkers. The Tubaphone #9 models were extremely ornate and were, according to many, some of the most beautiful stringed instruments ever made. (OK, let the jokes begin!...No, it's not a Tuba, or a Sousaphone, and No, it doesn't sound like a tuba, etc., etc.).

Oh, BTW, didn't you dredge up some old chestnuts recently, Abraham? I mean posts that were many months old? Perhaps I have you confused with someone else.
Mike Bieber

New York, N.Y.
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2001 7:59 pm    

oops,"religiosity"...right here in Webster's third. Waddaya know. sorry.

Gibson, meanwhile, seems to be becoming a stranger and stranger company. Without question, Henry Juskiawicz (the company's CEO and majority owner)has restored quality and integrity to a brand that suffered in every way during the '70s. But some of Gibson's marketing tactics have rubbed me the wrong way. In particular, the "elitist" service that offers news and offerings of latest custom shop guitars upon approval (I read about this in Vintage Guitar magazine). Must one supply W-2 statements or something similar to qualify to purchase one of Henry's guitars?

As for the Jesus guitar, my understanding of Gibson's acoustic custom shop (which is based in Montana) is that a Masterbuilder is granted "poetic license" to create unique Gibson "brand" guitars. Of course, by imparting their religious ideology--especially one as powerful and often imposive as Christianity--they also alienate many. With Henry's ego as big as it is, I'm surprised he hasn't commissioned a Henry guitar. And why not an Elvis guitar or a Lennon guitar or a Lenin guitar.
Pat Burns

Branchville, N.J. USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2001 1:37 pm    

..and why not a Jesus refrigerator?..a Jesus Cadillac...Jesus on a Ludwig bass drum..and then Jesus on a box of Wheaties? Jesus microwave popcorn...Jesus beer, none of these for sale, of course, just to show everybody how much they like Jesus at Christmas time.....nobody has told me yet why those are any different that putting it on a commercial brand guitar, because there is no difference...
Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2001 2:14 pm    

Yeah I did, but I didn't know til afterward Steve! I didn't mean to be rude, I meant, logically, how did it get on here! Just wondering, but I can see how you thought I meant that!

------------------
My Website!

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2001 2:15 pm    

You Know, I meant it was a post from before SGF got wiped out! We had to start over! Howd it get here?

------------------
My Website!

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2001 2:46 pm    

Abraham--the SGF did not get wiped out. As far as I know no data was lost. If you want to see older posts you have to go back a ways by selecting "show topics from last 30 days" (or so). But it's all there.
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2001 2:47 pm    

The forum didn't get wiped out. It was just offline for 10 days. Everything from before is still here.