| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is the Grand Ole Opry on it's way out?
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 6:26 pm    

I'm speaking as a former employee of Gaylord Entertainment so try to see my point. I've lived around the Nashville area all my life, and it just ain't like it used to be when I was growing up. The days when the National Life & Accident Insurance Company owned and operated the Grand Ole Opry, WSM-TV & Radio, TNN, & Opryland Park. This great Company gave Nashville the gifts of Country Music Entertainment. They made Stars out of people like Porter Wagner, Jim Ed Brown, Lester Flatt, Loretta Lynn, Patsy Cline, Bill Anderson and others.
My point is that times change and the Gaylord Company has changed our herritage. They've bought and sold out the Country Music Entertainment Industry here around Nashville. First after 25 years of operation they closed down Opryland Theme Park to build a Mall. Now they've sold TNN & CMT. TNN, no longer Mr.Tom Grissom's brainchild Cable network to take Nashville Country Music into peoples living-rooms across the country.
So whats next? I talked to a man the other night who predicts in the next 5 years the Grand Ole Opry will shut it's doors forever. This is very sad for me to think about. I realize that change happens for a reason, but I feel Nashville is becoming a town for Pro Sports and less for Country Music & The Opry. I guess Larry Cordell sure knew what he was doing when he wrote "Murder on Music Row". Just my opinion. . .OK Boys, let the Flames Begin!

Nick

My Steel Guitar Website:
http://personal.bna.bellsouth.net/bna/a/m/am1070/page12.html

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 27 September 2000 at 08:50 PM.]

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 6:52 pm    

Nick,
I think some people are a bit premature in their predictions of the demise of the Opry.I have been playing regularly at the Opry for 15 years,3 years in the staff band and although there have been some minor changes which I feel were for the good,it is still the best and biggest country music show on earth.I also believe there are many interested parties that will see to it the Opry continues on.There have been times in the past the show was not televised and it survived. If CBS chooses not to air it after the next 2 years of obligation,I believe the show will still go on in some form.I sincerely hope your friend is wrong.Of course these are just my thoughts about a place I care deeply for.
Take care,
T.W.

[This message was edited by Tommy White on 28 September 2000 at 06:42 AM.]

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 6:53 pm    

Nick,
No flames here.
To answer the question, I don't think so!
As long as the opry tries to appeal to all people it'll make it! Theresa
Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2000 7:01 pm    

My concerns are not only about the opry. If Gaylord had to sell their publishing interests, who would end up overseeing the
huge catalog that was Acuff/Rose.

------------------
Janice "Busgal" Brooks
ICQ 44729047
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 3:35 am    

See my post in the Bar Chatter about this same subject.

Here's something else to think about. Back when the Opry catered to "Traditional" country music fans there was no talk about it's future. Only about having enough room to accomodate all the fans that wanted to attend, including adding additional shows, such as the old Saturday afternoon opry's.
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 5:46 am    

Is there anything that last forever? Is Nashville still the so-called capitol of country music? Want the Opry to last forever?Move it from it's present location. It would be nice to see the long lines wrapped around past Tootsies. However does regressing ever solve anything? Time has hurt country music as we knew it.We all know without the radio and recording industry support it's dying a slow and painful death.There is no more three chord country songs being marketed and the old KISS successful recording rule is gone. How many songs by the newer artist save Brooks and twain songs over 5 years old are being played today.OH well that's progress.New recording technics can make a frog sound like Caruso. Opps sorry FranK I met Enrico

------------------
CJC

Boomer

Brentwood, TN USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 6:02 am    

Nick - As long as there are great artists around who promote the format (i.e. Brad Paisley, Dixie Chicks) and the Opry allows them to perform on their program, there will be a place for the Grand Ole Opry both in radio and TV. It may renew itself on a smaller scale, but it will have the opportunity to grow again.

At this very moment, Bob Hinkle (Marty Robbins' old manager) in Texas is promoting financing for a new independent country network. I had breakfast with him at Shoney's just before IT closed (I hope that's not an omen) and he told me of his on-going plans to initiate that scenario. Best, Boomer
DennyFast

Springfield, Tn. USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 9:06 am    

I don't think the Opry will ever shut it's doors! Right now, the big shots aren't making the big bucks they used too so why bother. As long as there are Country Music fans out there, the Opry will survive!!!
Anne Marie O Keeffe

Co.Waterford,Ireland.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2000 11:02 am    

John and I were at the Opry two weeks ago. If the large attendance is anything to go by I can't see it ending any time soon. We thoroughly enjoyed the show and I got a real kick out of hearing Larry Cordell perform Murder on Music Row at the show. that's not to say the other acts weren't good.....they were all great.

[This message was edited by Anne Marie O Keeffe on 28 September 2000 at 12:03 PM.]

Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 7:46 am    

Mr. Gaylord is not getting any younger. What's going to happen when he goes to that big Opry in the sky? What is going to happen if this Opry Mills thing proves to be a bust? At some point there may be a need to satisfy heirs or lein holders. It may be necessary to sell all of Gaylord's assets for what ever reason.
The Opry was owned by National Life and they in turn was bought by American General. American General sold the Opry to the highest bidder, Gaylord.
During this time Roy Acuff said, "Us boys and girls don't have the money to buy the Opry." But of course they could have on a co-op type of basis. They could have leveraged it by borrowing the money.
I would hope that when it comes up for sale again that someone with business sense and a feel for a more traditional Opry would buy it. I vote for Vince Gill. Surely he has some connections with some very rich people in Texas or Oklahoma.
Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 11:18 am    

Vince Gill Country?
I must add the opry is in good hands.

[This message was edited by Theresa Galbraith on 02 October 2000 at 12:38 PM.]

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2000 6:46 pm    

I didn't like every act that came across the stage back in the 60's but so what, I didn't abandon it.(I did make mention once that I didn't like Del Wood banging on that piano and I think that is what turned me left handed. ) I remember when Bob Luman came to the Opry. Now he was not traditional at all with his performances either because he wanted to be the "Country Elvis" or he stayed too long at Tootsie's, Still, his singing was wonderful and like so many, he died way too soon before his time. I was glad to see them get rid of the Four Guys as they were nothing but a time waist. They could carry a tune but they couldn't sing! I have to agree with Theresa, it is in good hands as these changes have been taking place all down through the years, just stop and think back. The Opry IS and always has been a RADIO program, not a television program so if CBS jerks it off, it will only revert back to what is was originally. Shouldn't that make all of the traditionalists happy?

[This message was edited by Mike Weirauch on 03 October 2000 at 04:11 PM.]

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2000 8:15 pm    

Back when I worked at TNN, it was rumored that "Mr. Bud Wendell" former Gaylord Entertainment President, along with a group of investors were going to buy WSM Radio & the Opry. This was to insure it would stay like it's been, and not be jeopardized by future business changes. Nick

[This message was edited by Nick Reed on 03 October 2000 at 09:16 PM.]

Mike Weirauch

Harrisburg, Illinois**The Hub of the Universe
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2000 8:13 am    

I'm curious now, how has it been or how is it being jeopardized? By improvements? NOT! By the loss of TNN? NOT! Again, the Opry is and has always been a RADIO program, not a television program. TNN does enable us who are too lazy to drive down to see it live, a 30 minute peak into what is happening on the Opry stage but a quick turn of the dial to 650 AM affords us the audio of the same and now it is available on the internet compliments of Gaylord Enterprise. I don't agree with all they do but they are smart enough NOT to kill the goose that layed the golden egg and so far they haven't.

[This message was edited by Mike Weirauch on 04 October 2000 at 09:15 AM.]