Gordy Rex

Southport, NC
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 2:26 pm    

check it out http://www.harmosmusic.com/
Gordy
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 10:36 pm    

Played one on display at St.Louis in Sept.
Seemed easy enough to play and with limited volume....sounded okay.
Personally, I prefer the beauty of a guitar, its shape, color and craftsmanship, as well as its unique sound.
I'm not into fad or inventive experiments altho' I admire those who delve into the areas of the unknown and commend them for their creative ambitions and sticktoitiveness. Never got a price on the one I played that had twin pickups and a blender included.
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 6:49 am    

That steel guitar is UGLY. It looks very light, but it'll never fly.

Rick
Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 7:44 am    

I want one !!!!

As a chemist ... the similarity of Sage Harmos' "Space Frame" to the underlying structural configuration of Buckminsterfullerene (C-60 ... a third "form" of elemental carbon ... distinctly different from diamond and graphite) is fascinating and beautiful ... of course I love Quantum Mechanics

I have never had the opportunity to play one ... I have heard nothing but great things from folks that have ...

His carbon fiber construction (also used by the New MSA pedal steel) has exciting possibilities ...

Anyway, I want mine with NO Fretboard (so I can enjoy the view) ...

So when he has time to build me one with a Horseshoe Pick-Up (Yeah, I know ... I have a "one track mind" .... but I have confidence that you can do it, Sage ... maybe some "slim-line" ones like those little strap-ons that Rickenbacher used on the Model S-59 Spanish guitar) ...

I will be proud to sit it amoungst my "Bowling Ball" geetars.

[This message was edited by Rick Aiello on 16 October 2002 at 11:47 AM.]

Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2002 10:05 am    

I want one! I've been saving up for a Dobro® or other resonator guitar, but this may change my mind.

------------------
Brad's Page of Steel
A web site devoted to acoustic & electric lap steel guitars

seldomfed

Colorado
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2002 12:48 pm    

I want one! And I make my own.

I love Sage's guitars. Lightweight - unique, sound great. In our area I/we/the band play both old time c&w swing and hawaiian. One challenge we all have in trying to keep steel alive is to also appeal to younger audiences as well as the old guard. Kids don't have a clue. This guitar adds a flash to stage performace in that you can wear it if you want!, use it with a wireless, or a stand, etc. It's a unique contribution to the state of the art of instrument making. And it just might hook a younger audience if they see Robert Randolph play one - which he does btw.

If you get right down to it - most steels are darn ugly - boxy hunks of wood and metal with stuff sticking out all over. Except mine of course

cheers,
chris www.berkleyguitars.com www.book-em-danno.com

------------------
Chris Kennison
Ft. Collins, Colorado
"We can't afford to let Nature run wild" - govt. offical - Alaska
www.seldomfed.com

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2002 2:57 pm    

Hmmmm...a "Dymaxion" steel, no less!
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2002 7:00 pm    

These are beautiful guitars.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2002 11:49 pm    

Sho'nuff !
Sage

Boulder, Colorado
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 8:07 am    

Thanks, guys. Yup, the Dymaxion steel. I don't mind the ugly comment too much, as Bucky Fuller said- The rose is not beautiful because it worries about style, it is beautiful because it is what it is. We're starting to get some more of these made and out there, and I hope that more of you will get the chance to play and hear one.
T. Sage Harmos
Gerald Ross

Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 8:44 am    

So how will this guitar "fly" with the traditionalists out there?

Two weeks ago at the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Association Joliet, Illinos Convention Sage Harmos showcased three of these guitars. These guitars were set up in the vendor area for anyone to demo.

I was a bit concerned about how these instruments would go over with the HSGA members. I thought the looks of these guitars would turn off some of the traditionalists in attendance. You've got to realize that some of the conventioneers have been playing the steel guitar since the 1940's, and are use to guitars looking like guitars.

Sage's instruments went over like gangbusters! People were commenting positively on the rich tone, the easy playing action and the long controllable sustain. His instruments were a hit with the old-timers!

Come on... let's look at history here. There has always been design innovation in the musical instrument world. Many of todays "traditional" and accepted designs raised a lot of eyebrows when they were first introduced. The Rickenbaker Frypan is frankly a bizarre Spartan looking instrument. The Gibson Ultratone looks right at home next to a 1950's refrigerator. The engraved National Tricones mixed Art Deco industrial design with cherubic inspired lilies and roses.

Keep up the good work Sage. You are making history and continuing a tradition of innovation.

------------------
Gerald Ross
'Northwest Ann Arbor, Michigan's King Of The Hawaiian Steel Guitar'

Gerald's Fingerstyle Guitar Website

[This message was edited by Gerald Ross on 18 October 2002 at 01:33 PM.]

Rick Aiello

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2002 8:43 pm    

OK ... I want one that has titanium "ends" and a leaded crystal, etched fretboard ... along with the "shoes" .

Seriously (although I was) ... what kinda wait period these days .... I'll hav'ta start preparin' the wife