| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Looking for David Sizemore
Stephen Watson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 12:55 pm    

SoCal steel player deluxe, but last I heard he was living in Indiana.
Can anyone help me reconnect with him?
He played steel in my "Texas Rattlers" band but was most well known for his work in "O.D. Coral" in the San Diego are in the 1970's.
much appreciated
Paul Wade

mundelein,ill
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 2:15 pm     Looking for David Sizemore

Did he play inS.D area in the 80S
I WAS out there at that time I remembered his name ???

P.w
Stephen Watson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2023 4:35 pm     Re: Looking for David Sizemore

Paul Wade wrote:
Did he play inS.D area in the 80S
I WAS out there at that time I remembered his name ???

P.w

Yes, played all over San Diego during the '70's and '80's.

O.D. Corral was one of his most well known outfits at the time.
Marilyn S Hamilton

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2024 2:58 pm     Re: Looking for David Sizemore

Stephen Watson wrote:
He played steel in my "Texas Rattlers" band but was most well known for his work in "O.D. Coral" in the San Diego are in the 1970's.
much appreciated

I know where to find David Sizemore. He lives just up the road from me. He is a friend of the family. I sent you an email with his home phone number to get ahold of him.
Stephen Watson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2024 4:27 pm     Re: Looking for David Sizemore

Marilyn S Hamilton wrote:
Stephen Watson wrote:
much appreciated

I know where to find David Sizemore. He lives just up the road from me. He is a friend of the family. I sent you an email with his home phone number to get ahold of him.

Much appreciated. Watching my email and haven't received yours yet.
Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 10:42 am    

I hope Dave and his wife are doing well, they were as nice as couple as you'll ever meet. Our paths crossed many times in San Diego in the 70's and 80's, even did gigs with him and his wife at some parties in Del Mar. He was playing in the "Texas Rattlers" and I was playing in the "Who's Driving" band .I remember one gig when he asked me " how do you play so fast with those fat little fingers". He was a great guy. I heard he was moving, then he was gone. Just before all this I was taking lessons from Forumite Paul Sutherland and got my first good steel through him , a D10 Russler. Just thinking about those days brings a huge smile to my face. Sidenote, I recorded my Paul Sutherland lessons and after I learned them I would give them to my neighbor and High School surf buddy Kevin Ryan. Sorry for rambling off topic, but those early days all kind of roll together. What a fun time and I sure hope Dave and his wife are doing well.
Stephen Watson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 1:50 pm    

Steve Cattermole wrote:
I hope Dave and his wife are doing well, they were as nice as couple as you'll ever meet. Our paths crossed many times in San Diego in the 70's and 80's, even did gigs with him and his wife at some parties in Del Mar. He was playing in the "Texas Rattlers" and I was playing in the "Who's Driving" band .I remember one gig when he asked me " how do you play so fast with those fat little fingers". He was a great guy. I heard he was moving, then he was gone. Just before all this I was taking lessons from Forumite Paul Sutherland and got my first good steel through him , a D10 Russler. Just thinking about those days brings a huge smile to my face. Sidenote, I recorded my Paul Sutherland lessons and after I learned them I would give them to my neighbor and High School surf buddy Kevin Ryan. Sorry for rambling off topic, but those early days all kind of roll together. What a fun time and I sure hope Dave and his wife are doing well.

Small world. "Texas Rattlers" was my honkytonk band in San Diego, and I was thrilled to have David work with us. Also, the late, Tommy Pressley, played guitar and sang with us, too.
Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 2:38 pm    

I knew Tommy pretty well, we were all running in the same circles, really sad to hear he passed.
Stephen Watson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 2:41 pm    

Steve Cattermole wrote:
I knew Tommy pretty well, we were all running in the same circles, really sad to hear he passed.

Dennis Challman is still playing steel and moved to Texas many years ago. Happily married, has some land and horses. You can find him on FB.
Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 2:46 pm    

what instrument did you play? I know I met you, but I can only remember Dave and Tommy
Stephen Watson

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 2:51 pm    

Steve Cattermole wrote:
what instrument did you play? I know I met you, but I can only remember Dave and Tommy

Bass guitar

I put together the Texas Rattlers band in the late 70's not long before I moved back to Texas and established the "Texas T" band (with Mark Nesler, Jim Unger, Mark Chesnutt, and Marty Broussard on steel). Lifelong friends with Clay Blaker who's retired from the business and moved to a point break off the coast of Panama. Met and worked a few shows with Jimmy Day before he retired, too.
Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 3:09 pm    

Funny you should mention Dennis. I didn't know him back then, but I would go see him play at the Stingaree with " Fancy Peaches" and that was one of the reasons I started playing steel. A couple of years ago we ran into each other at a Steel guitar convention and got talking and now we're good buddies. He is a great guy and player. We talk every few weeks, I'm really happy about that.
Steve Cattermole

California, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2024 3:15 pm    

Sounds like you had a great musical career and got to play with some big names, congratulations