| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Making custom bracket for Deluxe 34 stand
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 9:44 am    

I have two Deluxe 34, one a very early model and the second a slim-line version. I like to use the stand as much as possible for all my guitars, but the Rickenbacher B6 does not fit stably. Of course that’s a huge problem given its provenance. I can add a bracket that would stabilize the guitar, but I am not that fond of my own Rube Goldberg efforts in the past.

Does anyone have any suggestions on making or having made something similar to the white markup in the last photo? My instincts are telling me that a light aluminum is the only way but I’m guessing that’s a big lift.

You can see there is a hole already drilled in the stand for another bracket, so my idea for a bracket in the last photo is based on that and where I think the best place for contact with the guitar is.

See pics below.

Berryville, VA USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 11:20 am    

I'd zip tie it on ... 36" Black Zip Ties ... right between the rectangular plate and the bottom of the neck
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 11:52 am    

I’ve got a few ideas using slotted brackets. Have to do my research.

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 1:16 pm    

It's a shame Bill Groner doesn't still have access to a shop. He'd be your guys for sure!
Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 1:28 pm    

I'll be watching because I'm having a similar problem mounting my Rickenbacher D16 to my Deluxe 34. I would need a wide bracket and support for the two necks. I would like them to be aluminum. I wonder if Asher is still making the Deluxe 34?
Peter Krebs

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 1:58 pm    

Ditto my frypan.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2023 4:29 pm     Re: Making custom bracket for Deluxe 34 stand

Mike Neer wrote:
I have two Deluxe 34, one a very early model and the second a slim-line version. I like to use the stand as much as possible for all my guitars, but the Rickenbacher B6 does not fit stably. Of course that’s a huge problem given its provenance. I can add a bracket that would stabilize the guitar, but I am not that fond of my own Rube Goldberg efforts in the past.

Does anyone have any suggestions on making or having made something similar to the white markup in the last photo? My instincts are telling me that a light aluminum is the only way but I’m guessing that’s a big lift.

You can see there is a hole already drilled in the stand for another bracket, so my idea for a bracket in the last photo is based on that and where I think the best place for contact with the guitar is.

See pics below.

I don't have time tonight, and have PT tomorrow morning, but tomorrow afternoon I will take some pictures of the one I made for myself. It will fit any shape lap steel. Maybe you can get some ideas for yours Mike.

I only made one, however I could be persuaded to sell it if the price is right. You have to ask yourself, it's Christmas, do I deserve a proper stand? You know whether you've been naughty or nice. (not you Mike, I'm talkin about the rest of the forum.)

NJ
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 4:22 am    

Moving the existing brackets to the other drilled holes and turning the rear bracket around seems to have solved the problem. And the good news is that 4 out of 5 of my instruments fit into it this way. Mark Roeder’s design is pretty ingenius!

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 8:46 am    

Mike and all,

I have found aluminum stock at local farm supply stores is rather easy to bend with just a vise and dead blow mallet. A drill and tap set is also needed. I made this long bracket for my B6 and a set of additional brackets to hold my Clinesmith aluminum 8 and a six string lap simultaneously. I like neoprene better than cork for lining and you can likely repurpose some old computer mouse pads for this.

Dennis

Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 9:21 am    

That's great, Dennis! I'll give that a try. Thanks! (Love that Bronson, by the way Cool )
David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 9:43 am    

Mike, I notice that the vertical cork pads on your Deluxe 34 have degraded some. Happened on mine as well. I replaced mine with plastic water pipe stretched over the uprights. We’d all hate to see that particular B6 get scratched up. ☹️
And I agree - Mark R’s design was utterly brilliant.

NJ
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 10:11 am    

David Knutson wrote:
Mike, I notice that the vertical cork pads on your Deluxe 34 have degraded some. Happened on mine as well. I replaced mine with plastic water pipe stretched over the uprights. We’d all hate to see that particular B6 get scratched up. ☹️
And I agree - Mark R’s design was utterly brilliant.

Yeah, David, I’ve got some vinyl tubing that I used to use for talkboxes. Lol. Thanks for SHowing Me The Way (Frampton joke).

NJ
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 10:13 am    

Dennis Waltman wrote:
Mike and all,

I have found aluminum stock at local farm supply stores is rather easy to bend with just a vise and dead blow mallet. A drill and tap set is also needed. I made this long bracket for my B6 and a set of additional brackets to hold my Clinesmith aluminum 8 and a six string lap simultaneously. I like neoprene better than cork for lining and you can likely repurpose some old computer mouse pads for this.

Dennis

Looks great, Dennis. Were you looking around for aluminum stock or was it something that you saw or did you get a suggestion? We don’t have many farm supply stores around here. Maybe there is another source.

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 10:24 am    

I was purposely looking for aluminum stock and you should be able to find it at some of the big box home stores like Lowes, Home Depot, Menards.

Here’s my two steel contraption. The stock is 1 inch W x 1/4 T. I gigged with two steels on the stand for several seasons and it’s plenty stable.
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2023 1:01 pm    

Mike Neer wrote:
We don’t have many farm supply stores around here. Maybe there is another source.

Most likely it'd be easier to find an abortion clinic in Texas that a farm store in Jersey, but there's always McMaster-Carr:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/metals/aluminum~/multipurpose-6061-aluminum-sheets-and-bars-7/thickness~1-4/thickness~0-2500/thickness~0-250/thickness~0-25/width~1-000/width~1-00/width~1-5/
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 7:00 am    

And there's always Amazon. Lots of aluminum and steel products available. Home Depot and Lowes has a stock of metal but I didn't see any over 1/8 thickness. I have made many light duty brackets with that. The rear brackets on the Deluxe looks like 1/4 or greater thickness.
Joe Cook

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 7:38 am    

I made these wider brackets from 1/4 inch stock from my local hardware store. I cut the bar to size with an angle grinder. It needs to be annealed before you bend it or it may snap. Mark the area to bend with a felt tip pen. Using a MAP torch, heat the area until the marker disappears. Quench it in water immediately. Now you can bend the metal in a vice. I need to get some neoprene for the padding but I've got some door weatherstripping on it for now.

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 8:50 pm    

Quenching is how you harden... to anneal you let it cool slowly.

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2023 11:14 pm    

That is correct Stephen.

Lake Osoyoos, WA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 12:15 am    

To anneal aluminum, it should be quenched. Non-ferrous metals are usually quenched when annealing. Ferrous metals should be cooled slowly. Metals harden from being worked.

Last edited by Joe Cook on 18 Dec 2023 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 12:59 am    

https://orangealuminum.com/blog/annealing-aluminum-explained-what-it-is-and-how-it-works/#:~:text=To%20anneal%20aluminum%2C%20the%20metal,affect%20material%20and%20physical%20properties.

I was a machinist for 55 years. Anytime when metal needed to be made a little softer we annealed it. Quenching refers to dipping the metal in oil or water when the molecules reach their austinite state. When quenched at this temp the molecules are further apart and it sort of freezes them in that state which makes the metal harder and more brittle. Heating the metal back up makes it softer and more durable and less prone to fracture. That being said, I mostly worked with tool steel used in high production dies. If the tool steel was too hard it broke, too soft it lost it's cutting edge. Also there are many, many grades of aluminum all having different properties. Some grades bend well and others do not. I hope this helps.

NJ
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 6:12 am    

Bill, my father was a tool and die maker for many years. I think it was around 1990 when the whole industry just dried up due to overseas production.

He opened up his own shop but it didn't last very long.

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2023 6:37 am    

Mike Neer wrote:
Bill, my father was a tool and die maker for many years. I think it was around 1990 when the whole industry just dried up due to overseas production.

He opened up his own shop but it didn't last very long.

Correct Mike, around 1990 in PA as well. For 8 months we limped along on a 32 hour week. Quite a set back from working steadily 50 hour weeks since 1968. The place I worked continued till 2004, but not as strong as we once were. Safety regulations became a lot stricter and stamping companies in the USA could no longer compete. Didn't matter whether you had all 10 digits in foreign countries. I do not envy anyone being a Tool and Die Maker. They are a dying breed. Kids today don't want to get their hands dirty. With the advent of CNC machines they don't have to. All they have to do is be a good computer programmer and have some common sense as to how things work mechanically. Really sad, how skilled workers in the USA have gone by the wayside. I tip my hat to guys like Todd Clinesmith and a few other guys on the forum that do it the "Old Way!"