| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Newbie Tuning Question, Erickson/ BMI Pedal Steel
Logan Day

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2023 2:20 pm    

So I've recently been given an Erickson steel with a Day setup. The issue I'm having is with tuning the E->Eb knee lever. One of the Black knobs at the end of the steel (with hex shaped hole) tunes the 4th string E when it's bent to Eb, but the lowest it can go is still too sharp (+35 cents). Is there another way to tune this lever/ adjust the range of this tuning knob? More broadly, does anybody have information about what model this steel may be in particular or have a manual for it? I've read a few posts on here about Ericksons and it sounds like the guy used a lot of BMI kits in the 70s. Any other insights about the instrument are welcome, I'm very curious about the history. Also, let me know about more information I should include, this is my first post on the forum.

Thanks everyone,

Logan

Michael Hill

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2023 6:31 pm    

This can happen if you change string gauges. Also, check out the sticky Overtuning post in this section.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2023 8:09 pm    

Not too sure that overtuning post will apply to him as his guitar appears to be a pull-release guitar, not an all pull.

There is a different method to tuning a pull release guitar than an all pull. That might be the problem. Do a search on tuning a pull-release guitar.

As far as a model, most builders just called them S10 (single 10 string neck), D10 (double 10 string necks), etc...
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2023 9:00 pm    

Richard I am with you. The guitar has a Pull and Release Changer, Not a All Pull changer.

Check under the guitar, (Does the guitar have a raise on the 4th string?), May not have enough slack in raise linkage, To allow the string to lower to D#/Eb. Or maybe a stop under the guitar will not allow the string to lower to note.

Good Luck getting your guitar to tune up, Happy Steelin.