| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Early Sho Bud Permanent Pedal Spacing
Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2023 7:41 pm    

On early Sho Buds that have the smaller, closely spaced ABC pedals, it it possible/practical to press all three pedals at once with the left foot? I mean without contortions/putting your foot sideways etc.

For a modern E9 copedent, this would not really matter, but maybe in the early days when the C pedal often only raised one string? In videos, I have seen a certain Mr. Emmons bring his right foot over to operate the C pedal in some fast licks in the early 60's. But was it possible with one foot as well, for less speedy licks?

This is something that I have wondered about from time to time. I don't think that I have ever seen a definitive answer. I have played one Sho Bud that had closely spaced ABC pedals, but it did not occur to me at the time to test this out! Ha! Rolling Eyes
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 7:41 am    

Oft times A & B pedals are used together and the B & C pedals are used together but I've never seen all three used at the same time.
Erv
Abe Levy

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 8:18 am    

Daniel - I know the clip of Emmons you’re talking about, and yes he’s pumping the c pedal while holding down a and b. It would be very difficult to do with one foot, even with the tightly spaced abc pedals on a perm. You’d have to have a very wide foot! I think accuracy would also be difficult while holding two pedals down and rocking the c pedal.

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 9:40 am    

It is possible AND practical to use all 3 pedals at once, maybe not with the same foot.

Except it is sometimes done in another way: Some (including myself) have a pedal/lever that raises the E's to F#, by itself. It is practical in that it will change your A/B chord to a minor chord relative to the key that you are playing in.

......Pat
Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 11:24 am    

Thanks for the responses everyone. I was just curious. I guess the close spacing was for a different reason.

Btw, here is the clip that I was referring to. At about 2:08, Buddy plays the lick in question, using his right foot to quickly use the C pedal. Obviously there is no question that this passage could not be executed with one foot! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnEMOQTh27s&ab_channel=TomMargetis
Dave Campbell

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2023 2:53 pm    

i would say that passage is hard to do with two feet unless you're buddy emmons. i wonder if his 'bud had levers on it? when i try this move it's the levers that get in the way.