| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  10th string returns sharp help
Roger Russell

Jane Lew ,Wv
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 11:47 am    

mullin G2 10 sting returns sharp ..not over tuned and oiled good and lots of play ..i can pull it back by putting my foot under pedal ?
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2021 12:35 pm    

Sounds like there is a tight tolerance somewhere along the pull rod or between the pull rod and your floor pedal. Maybe the cross shaft? Turn it upside down on a table and move each piece with your fingers. In an upside down position you should be able to flip the floor pedal up and down easily. There should be some play in it. Work your way back toward the pulling finger and find ease of movement along the way.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Roger Russell

Jane Lew ,Wv
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 4:30 am     10 sting returning sharp

thanks ,,,, but it seems maybe the raise helper spring may be the culprit but i still need to speak with mullin steel guitars to see why that could happen and and what i can do to correct it ..i just removed it for now ,,not sure if anyone else has experienced this issue with helper springs
Dennis Detweiler

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 6:08 am    

I forgot about the helper springs. I had them on my Zum and after experimenting with a few knee lever changes, I had to remove a few of them. I didn't find a lot of advantage to them unless raising 3 strings on one floor or knee, especially a knee. I recall when "lowering" my two G#'s (6 and 10 on my U-12) the 6th string would raise slightly with the pull. A few other raises would just not return to their neutral position when released. I adjusted the helpers to a weaker position until there was not much left of the helper.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 7:11 am    

Yeah that was the first thing I was going to mention; especially on Strings that DON'T need help Raising. Take those raise springs off (mainly wound strings raising); as they hinder movement much more than help movement on strings that raise and don't need help.
Ricky
Roger Russell

Jane Lew ,Wv
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 11:47 am     10th string returns sharp help

ok thanks for your help fellas
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 2:47 pm    

I HATE these "raise-helper"-springs with full prejudice. 3Smile

On most systems (all or push pulls) the lowers will always be harder than the raises, because the return spring has to pull harder than the string and they get stiffer faster than a raised string.
Scissor based all pull systems, tend to have a "neutral"-resting issue anyways, and the raise-helper strings only make this problem worse.
IMNSHO, these helper springs are for "Sissies" anyways... even if the term clashes with "political correctness"... really, I would theorize that they were just a Hillbilly-"marketing stunt".

That rant now being vented, I would suggest that the problem at hand would first suggest again "Over Tuning"... meaning that the scissor is "resting" hanging in the pull (hex tuner) instead of the rest-plate for lack of travel space (slack). This is where I would look first (after of course disposing of these pesky... and here I go again... )

... J-D.

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2021 3:09 pm    

Amen J D...
Roger Russell

Jane Lew ,Wv
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 3:49 am     10 string

... the issues it seems may have been negligence on my part ..the crossrods on these G2s do require oiling at times the guitar is 4 years old and i have only oiled the crossrods once as i can remember
i oiled and also did install the spring back in place to test and at first the 10th string went sharp again,but after playing it for a few minutes it seems to be ok ? ive been playing for about 30 years and have learned much about overtuning and different aspects of the guitar ,,but have not had a guitar with helper springs so was not really educated on this subject ...the mullin G2 has been flawless and this being the first issue ..i dont know if they truly help with ease of the pedal but with neuopathy in my feet ill take all the help i can get lol !! but if the springs do become a issue in the future ill take the advice and remove them, im sure Tommy Whites G2s are probably still intact and have not been a issue ...but not certain ..maybe he will chime but Mullin has placed these there to help with ease of playing ,,so we will see ...i really appreciate all the folks input and advice on the forum
thank you very much for your help
J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2021 10:58 am    

Rick... HA! "Amen"... as you can see, I would have made as "great" a Reverend as Jerry Lee Lewis probably would have, had he only pursued that career Very Happy Very Happy

I forgot to mention checking the NUT ROLLERS... evidently with the issue of oil getting expensive again an fracking being put to rest and thus that Mullen having suffered from the resulting oil shortages... lubing up and checking for "free rolling" of the nut rollers too would seem a good idea after pouring them cross shafts a drink, Roger.

Have we evicted them pesky little Sissy-springs yet?

... J-D

Was it JFK who said: Ask Not What TAB Can Do For You - Rather Ask Yourself "What Would B.B. King Do?"

A Little Mental Health Warning:

Tablature KILLS SKILLS.
The uses of Tablature is addictive and has been linked to reduced musical fertility.
Those who produce Tablature did never use it.

I say it humorously, but I mean it.