| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender vibro Champ
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Jun 2021 6:21 pm    

Wonder how the Fender vibro Champ would sound with a steel?

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 4:28 am    

Maybe ok for a lap steel but the headroom and speaker are not suitable for pedal steel. There's a reason most players use higher powered amps and 12 or 15 inch speakers. It may work for low volume at home but I wouldn't expect much in tonal range.
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 5:04 am    

Great at home in my practice room! Here's a link to my Vibro Champ page with guitar, fiddle and pedal steel E9th and C6:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Vibro%20Champ/Vibro%20Champ.html

Direct link to rrecording:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/m3u/Vibro%20Champ%20PSG.mp3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
ajm

Los Angeles
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 8:02 am    

Just to be clear here, Greg and Greg are NOT talking about the same amp.
Probably mostly similar, but NOT exactly the same.

The one from the O.P. is a new model *in the spirit* of the originals, with a couple of changes.

The new one has reverb, the originals do not.

The new one has a solid state rectifier, the original has a tube rectifier.

The new one has a 10 inch speaker, the originals had an 8 inch.

There is a review of the new one in the June 2021 issue of Guitar Player magazine.
Oliver Samland

Hamburg, Germany
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 8:12 am    

I once played a blackfaced Champ (with just Vol/Treble/Bass controls) in a studio where I didn't bring my own amp. Not sure how different the circuits are between the Champ and the Vibro Champ beside the missing reverb and tremolo, or if they have anything in common at all.
Anyway, you can hear it in this clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEayYV-TP3I
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 10:41 am    

Probably okay for low-volume practice, but so is most anything you could find on Craigslist for a couple of Hamiltons (or less). For $750, one could likely purchase a genuine point-to-point wired Silverface Champ or Vibro-Champ that originally matriculated from Fullerton, CA. One that is serviceable, has an entire cottage industry devoted to aftermarket replacement parts, and with appropriate maintenance will last a lifetime (or longer). Superior in most every parameter to a disposable imported replica.
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 11:43 am    

I haven't tried one of the new reissue Vibro Champ Reverb amps. But I've used silverface Champs and Vibro Champs off and on for decades. They're good, solid amps and can be used at low volume for clean sounds. They obviously break up when pushed, and sound great that way IMO.

I say clean sound is OK for low-volume practice and even low-volume gigs. I'm talking basically acoustic-level gigs. Frankly, any more amp than that tends to overwhelm an acoustic ensemble stage volume unless everything is heavily amplified and monitored. I have a bunch of small amps like this - a tweed Champ, a modern amp with a tweed Princeton circuit, an early 60s Gibson GA-5T, and a couple of small Supros. They all sound fine to me at acoustic stringed instrument levels, either with guitar or steel (lap or pedal). Or really low-volume electric instruments. Maybe a snare/hat with brushes.

I also tend to agree with Jack on getting an old one - $750 MAP seems a bit high to me for the reissue as built. But I do like the idea of the 10" speaker and reverb.
Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 3:36 pm    

Guys,

I have both the 68 Custom Pro Reverb and the 68 Vibro Champ Reverb at home and both are great for steel. It just depends on how loud you need it.

Here's a link to me attempting a Paul Franklin solo with the '68 Custom Vibro Champ Reverb and Princeton Reverb in stereo. No, it's not super loud but it got me some great tone in a low-key rehearsal and the 10" speakers helps. YMMV.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPW0ADts6tV/

Last edited by Rick Heins on 29 Jun 2021 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 5:55 pm    

I recorded mine with the 10" speaker which helps with the steel a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2021 6:21 pm    

I tried my Fender SCXD with pedal steel on the clean channel and the voiced channels and it just wasn't my cup of tea. I used it on some guitar gigs but also boosted the line out to the PA. I know Greg got some decent tones with his in a studio setting. I was never satisfied with the tone of smaller amps including an old silver face Champ.
Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2021 5:59 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Great at home in my practice room! Here's a link to my Vibro Champ page with guitar, fiddle and pedal steel E9th and C6:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Vibro%20Champ/Vibro%20Champ.html

Direct link to rrecording:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/m3u/Vibro%20Champ%20PSG.mp3

that little amp has a fantastic sound. Is it 5 watts ?
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2021 5:03 am    

5 Watts RMS with enough gain to get a dynamic sound at micro volumes!
Gary Kaye

California, USA
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 2:57 pm     Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb

Rick,
Is the trick for clean headroom putting is a new speaker with 150w+ handling capacity?
Playing a 68 Custom Pro that will break up at about 5 1/2 on the volume knob might not be the best....
Thanks
Rick Heins

Phoenix, AZ
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2021 6:03 pm     Re: Fender 68 Custom Pro Reverb

Gary Kaye wrote:
Rick,
Is the trick for clean headroom putting is a new speaker with 150w+ handling capacity?
Playing a 68 Custom Pro that will break up at about 5 1/2 on the volume knob might not be the best....
Thanks

Gary,
I've replaced the speaker for a Celestion Redback, which is a 100 watt speaker with a big magnet that doesn't break up as soon. I also go into input 2 for less gain. The amp stays cleaner longer and I can play up past 6 without it distorting. It'll never be as clean as a Twin but it's a nice alternative at a moderate level that works well for me. YMMV.