| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sho-Bud Pro II, later model with extras SOLD!
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 10:17 am    

This is a nice Pro II from the late 70’s-early 80’s. It is in overall very good condition. I added two knee levers (RKR, with a half-stop assembly, and LKR) using Michael Yahl’s extruded parts for everything. I also added a C6 pull to the RKR, something you don’t see too often on these guitars.

There are some boo-boos in the finish that I have tried to show. I bought a couple of stain and lacquer filler pens from Stew Mac with the intention of filling these blemishes but haven’t gotten around to doing that. I will include those pens, as well as some pipettes, drop-fill toothpicks, and finish mixing cups.

The aluminum is generally quite good but could use some polishing. The legs on the guitar were apparently made from mike stands, hence the black adjusters. They work well, and are actually easier to get a grip on for adjusting.

I had Scott Swartz at Steeltronics make me a pair of Z-series pickups for it that I will include. I also have extruded knee levers and brackets that I purchased to replace the two original pot-metal lever assemblies that I will include.

The guitar plays very smoothly, stays in tune well, and sounds like a Bud. Sustain is very good, especially up high.

When I was setting up the guitar several of the original pull rod retaining clips broke. As replacements for those I used some spring clips, as well as some rubber “O” rings to secure the pull rods.

I have a replacement foil pedal bar Sho-Bud decal that I will include. I also have two NOS replacement fingers for this era changer that I will include.

The original case is in good condition.

The price for everything is $3000.00 plus shipping. I regularly travel all over Texas, and occasionally to Oklahoma and New Mexico, so it might be possible to arrange a meetup to avoid shipping.

(Our neighbor's cat is negotiable Laughing)

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com

Last edited by Tommy Detamore on 4 Apr 2021 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 2:43 pm    

Wow that red Pro~II Custom was born August 1978....very nice and the first year the Pro II Custom used non-colored fretboards and the Non-Gumby Keyhead that Paul Franklin Sr designed a extra metal casting to it; that ran 4 inches in to cutouts in the necks to stabilize the body drop and key head tuning probs that were common in the new "SuperPro"; but he did it to these 1978 Pro~II Customs first....So folks; you are getting a sho-bud that plays more intune and sounds more intune than any other at that time...so say thanks to Paul Sr. and to Tommy D for selling it to you..ah.ha...
Ricky
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 2:46 pm    

Wow thanks Ricky for the info! I have been meaning to ask you about her Wink

She's pretty sweet. If she doesn't sell I have no problem hanging onto her, that's for sure. Just trying to downsize a little.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 2:54 pm    

Oh you're mighty welcome Tommy. I mean; aren't that Michael Yahl parts just da'Bomb man?? OMG I love everything he makes so perfect; and great job putting them in. Gosh out of the millions of things I would find to use when those original rod clips broke...I NEVER used one of those little rubber O-rings...THAT'S PERFECT....heck and no wobble and no metal metal noise...awesome bro.
Looks very low in use in the finger area...I would put two new Bill Lawrence 710 narrow mount pickups on it and start recording with it......BAM!!!!!
Ricky
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2021 3:00 pm    

Quote:
Oh you're mighty welcome Tommy. I mean; aren't that Michael Yahl parts just da'Bomb man?? OMG I love everything he makes so perfect; and great job putting them in. Gosh out of the millions of things I would find to use when those original rod clips broke...I NEVER used one of those little rubber O-rings...THAT'S PERFECT....heck and no wobble and no metal metal noise...awesome bro.
Looks very low in use in the finger area...I would put two new Bill Lawrence 710 narrow mount pickups on it and start recording with it......BAM!!!!!

Yes, Michael does great work! I have gotten some PP stuff from him too and it's all first-class.

The "O" ring idea I stole from MCI. I had some laying around so I thought "why not?". Danco #5's from Lowe's Wink

Yes I don't think the guitar has been played a whole lot. I got it from the widow of a gentleman up in the panhandle.

710's would rule for sure!

Mike Davoult

Nevada
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2021 11:41 am    

Man I have the same cat except her mustache and goatee are on the other side. Miss Kitty be her name. HAHA
Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2021 9:28 am    

PM sent, Tommy.

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2021 1:27 pm    

The Bud has gone to a good home.... Smile

Donation sent....

Mike Ester

New Braunfels, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2021 4:09 pm    

It's a great axe. Now I'm conflicted as to whether to use it or my U12 as my regular gig rig.

I know; 1st-World problems. Laughing

Thanks, Tommy

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning.
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2021 4:12 pm    

Thank you Mike! I'm sure you'll know what to do Wink

Enjoy that rascal!

TD