| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rhythm/Comping on lap steel
David DeLoach

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 3:07 am    

I'd be interested to hear you guys approach to playing rhythm/backup/comping on lap steel.

I feel fairly comfortable doing this on old (60's/70's) country music and Texas Swing, but I have to admit my approach is pretty simplistic - usually sliding up to a chord and holding it for a whole note or half note, maybe throw in a volume swell.

I'm not talking about playing fills, but rather playing what would be the equivalent of rhythm guitar. Something like hitting a bass note with your thumb on 1 & 3 and some chord tones with your fingers on 2 & 4.

Anyone do anything more creative than the above? Strumming? Palm muting? etc....

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 4:49 am    

I’m really into a blues phase and I really want to be able to play everything a guitar player would play.

I tried different tuning and the one that get me everything is Jules Ah See C13.

I get the complete Pee Wee Crayton’s Blues After Hour note for note and a couple of T Bone Walker songs. So far so good with C13.
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2020 6:05 am    

Here's Mike Neer doing some cool comping on jazz changes:
http://www.lapsteelin.com/2019/04/13/comping-chords-with-c13-tuning-jules-ah-see-tuning-rhythm-changes/

As for me, I just don't approach the instrument like a rhythm section instrument. So my form of backup is still fill based. It's hitting chords, often, but the key thing for me that I'm trying to develop is being able to accent, and not compete with, the vocals or other leads. My teacher calls this playing in the "puka", or holes. It depends on the song...a sweet sounding ballad for instance is going to get more watery sounding arpeggios for instance, whereas a jazzed up faster tune might get more percussive, muted stabs on chords, like a horn section (with lots of use of flatted 7ths).