| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al Perkins query
Aaron Harms

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2006 10:20 am    

Greetings.

Long time lurker, first time poster. I received Winnie's book as a gift from my loving brother, who has also posted a couple questions from me, and stumbled acrosst the Perkins copedent in the back.

As I'm playing the Fender 8 string, and am having copedent (shall we say, issues?) this seemed like the answer....Al (Mr. Perkins?) leaves out the F# in the open tuning and pulls it from the E with an LKR, which gives him (I think) the ability ot keep the low E on the bottom, but still have the high G# on the top. He doesn't, however, have an E to F raise....

So, I copied his tuning on my 8 string, and we added a knee lever (which was where this plan originated--wanted to add a lever) to do the same thing...mine is LKL instead.

The rest of the copedent, and I wish I could post this in a more professional manner:
1: high E to F
2: A
3: B
4: Es to Eb
5: Bs to Bbs
6: G#s to Gs

I should be clear, that I am both a hack PSG player, and am only backing up a local singersongwriter---not palying straight country or straight blues, or rock for that matter--I need easy access to LOTS of chords, and I take minmal leads....mainly transitions and atmosphere work here....*prepares for flaming*...

My questions, finally: Why did Al do it that way? Does the copedent make sense? What would you guys, as people who have WAAAAYY more experience than me, suggest?

Please keep in mind that I'm not insterested in more than 8 strings--the fender is very "home" to me, and I'm honestly not sure I even like the G# addition, but I'm trying it anyway, after reading many many posts here...and with significant encouragement from brother Neil.

Thanks for any help, critiques, etc, that you can offer. I'm proud to finally be a member of such a great forum

A

------------------
Fender 8 string, + a lever; Gibson Les Paul Signature, Gibson Ripper, Ampeg Gemini II, assorted boxes...
Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2006 12:46 pm    

That's a lot like the middle 8 strings of mine:

Your knee lever is my LKV.
Your P1 is my LKL.
Your P2 is my P2
Your P3 is my P3
Your P4 is my RKL.
Your P5 is my P4.
Your P6 is my P5.

So, your copedent makes perfect sense to me. There's a lot of power in it, lots of chords.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6) My Blog

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 18 May 2006 at 01:50 PM.]

Aaron Harms

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2006 1:24 pm    

But I notice you have an existing F# in the tuning...whereas Al (and I) don't...what's the reasoning behind that change? Just to get both low E and high G#? Or is there something lick or chordwise that I'm not seeing?

We play in flat keys ALL the time...so being able to easily get to Bb and Eb makes alot of sense, even though I still think of things as an E rooted guitar player....

I just want some other folks' opinions about the loss of the F# (open) which loses me the E9, rather E7....would you guys rather a high G# or middle F#?

Enough free association. Thanks for the post b0b!

A

------------------
Fender 8 string, + a lever; Gibson Les Paul Signature, Gibson Ripper, Ampeg Gemini II, assorted boxes...
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 18 May 2006 2:39 pm    

Oh, I thought you left out the high F#. I need to have the middle F# for a lot of my chords.

Don't think of flat keys on open strings. It's only make your brain hurt. Find them at frets 1, 4 and 6 for starters. The open strings are for sharp keys. The Eb is really a D#, and the Bb is really an A#.

[This message was edited by b0b on 18 May 2006 at 03:42 PM.]

Aaron Harms

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2006 3:47 pm    

THAT makes my brain hurt...*explodes*....I'm not steely enough yet....

No I pull the middle E up to F#, gives me an open D with the B pedal and D7 with A and B....

so for inner chords you alluded to, you would play both the E and the F# together...im guessing 7s, although the interval would be 2nds, yeah?

There HAS to be a reason why Mr. Perkins did it....

Thanks again

A

------------------
Bobby Lee

Post  Posted 18 May 2006 4:35 pm    

Yes, the D-rooted chords are some of the chords I'm talking about. But there's also the B6th/B7th. When you lower the middle E to D#, you want to have an F# above it.

An alternative is raise the D to D# instead instead of lowering the E.

You might want to look at how the Sacred Steelers replace D-E-F# with two E strings:

Lots of "strummable" chords there.

------------------
Bobby Lee (a.k.a. b0b) - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Williams D-12 E9, C6add9, Sierra Olympic S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop S-8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster D-8 (E13, C6 or A6)   My Blog