| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Franklin 4th pedal on a P/P
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 2:10 pm    

Fellows I need some help adjusting the whole tone lower running into the raise on the 5th & 10th string. I also want to put an adjustable half stop on a vertical lowering 5 and maybe on 10 as well. Any help appreciated. Will the adjustable half stops used on a raise work on a lower? I know they would be difficult to reach but once in place would need very little adjustment I would hope.
Thanks for any and all help or advice.
George
Charlie Moore

Deville, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Feb 2006 2:52 pm    

George, i extended the raise end of the bellcrank on the 5th string 3/8" which allowed more pull with reasonable pedal travel which compensated for the whole tone drop.. ..never tried a half stop on vertical lever....Charlie....
George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2006 7:07 pm    

Thanks Charlie. I moved the rod hook down closer to the axle and got it to work okay for the time being. A little stiff on that 4th pedal. Still open for suggestions. I am thinking I want to do a split on 5&6 lower whole tone on knee levers and install a new inside LKR for the 1st & 2nd string raises along with raising 7. I down know how far the travel would be on that or if it is practical.

Thanks for your input.
George
Rainer Hackstaette

Bohmte, Germany
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 7:48 am    

George, I think we have a mixup of technical terms here. "Split", "half-stop", and "halftone tuner" are three completely different things.

SPLIT: lower a string a whole tone (e.g. G# to F# on a lever) and then raise it a half tone (e.g. G# to A on the B-pedal), resulting in a half tone lower (G). This is very difficult to get on a PP, due to the raises overriding the lowers. The B-pedal would raise the string 1 1/2 tones to A in the above example. It CAN be done, though not with the B-pedal, but with the A-pedal. But that's not what you really want.

A HALF STOP is what many players have on their 2nd string. ONE lever lowers D# to D and THEN lowers it further to C#. It's all on one lever, with a "feel stop" for the half-way mark. Again, not what you want.

You're asking about HALFTONE TUNERS, the little bored-through spring-loaded screws that let you tune your E to F on string 4. These tuners work just as well on lowers. But, like you said, they are hard to reach in the undercarriage.

If you can live with the added travel/slack/stiffness needed in your ABC pedals to allow the PF pedal on your PP to work, the halftone tuners on 5 and 10 (LKV, I assume) will not add to that. The slack for the halftone lower is already there.

If you have a half stop on string 2 that uses the method of pulling the raise finger against the body with a spring, then this will have to go, if you want to raise D# to E. You will then have to get the feel stop solely by the string or spring resistance of another pull or push on this lever. On the E9, string 9 D-C# could give that resistance, or, on C6, string 3 C-C#. And you'll need a LOT of slack in the raise rod of string 2 for the whole tone lower to work.

If you have more questions, feel free to email me.

Hope to have helped,
Rainer

------------------
Remington, Sierra, Emmons PP, Fender Artist, Sho~Bud

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 10:19 pm    

I don't understand what is meant by "a whole tone lower running into a raise"

Being British, sometimes I have trouble understanding the nuances of the American language.

Do you mean that the strings won't lower enough because the raise rods haven't got enough slack in them to allow it ?

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2006 10:22 pm    

I don't understand it either, and I is a Ameracan.