| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Traveling with Pedal Steel through Customs
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 3:47 am    

I am flying with a steel for the first time in a couple of weeks. After reading every thread I could find here on the Forum, I have decided (for better or worse) to check my steel. I'll try to take it to the oversize luggage counter, but I'm not counting on there being one (The Air Canada "terminal" at Boston Logan is a tiny little corner of Terminal B). It is a Zum Encore in the stock case. I'll put some extra padding in there, although there isn't room for much. In addition to a picture of the set-up steel with an explanation of what they are looking at, and to avoid the dreaded "pick-it-up-by-the-pull-rods" scenario, I plan to put two nylon straps around the body with instructions to pick it up by these. ( I haven't seen anyone mention this, but it seems like the best approach).

My particular question is this: On the way back, flying from Calgary through Ottawa, I will have to go through US customs in the middle of the trip (at 7:00 am, yay!). Are there any extra hassles, surprises, hidden joys that await me at customs in mid-trip? I assume I'll have to claim my luggage and go through security again (this is how it went flying home from New Foundland two years ago; sans steel).

FWIW, I'll have my amp head (DV Mark), pedals, cords, etc. in my carry-on. I'm sure that will get a long look at every step of the way too.

Any and all advice appreciated.
Andrew Roblin

Various places
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 5:17 am    

Sounds like you have it covered, Dan.

I flew from the US to Jamaica with my PSG about five years ago. I had a photo of the PSG when set up and a short explanation of how to pick it up taped to the inside of the case.

The steel was well padded.

It arrived undamaged. Smile

Good luck.
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 5:53 am    

Dan,Remember to try and be as nice as you can stand to be,I usually go to the oversized counter and try to explain the best way to lift it out of the case.Good luck.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 11 May 2019 4:20 pm    

Hi Dan,
I play in a Canadian band, so I fly in and out of Canada regularly as well as drive over the border. Up until four or five years ago it was much harder to come into Canada with instruments for a gig. aka, you needed a work permit, even for a one off bar gig. But in the interest of giving Canadian and American musicians more opportunities to co-mingle, they lifted the need for a work permit and will allow Americans up to 2 weeks straight of paid performing time without a permit. The important thing to make clear to the customs agents is that you have been invited by someone in Canada (a club, promoter, festival, or band) and that the only work you are doing, paid or not, is performing. If they start to think that part of your job there is to haul gear, mix the show, etc.. they can turn you around because you don't have a permit for that. "Invited" and "Performing" are the key words, if they ask what you're doing. And be sure to have some documentation of that invitation. I usually just show them an email thread from the band. Sometimes the first agent you talk to doesn't really know all these rules, so just keep cool. They'll eventually send you to someone who knows.

If you are flying Calgary -> Ottawa -> Boston on the way back, you will only need to go through customs when you land in Boston, and that will be before you claim your steel at baggage. Once you claim your luggage you'll be corralled through a second customs line where they just take the slip they gave you at the first customs stop. Sometimes they'll ask what all that stuff you're pushing around is but they don't usually hold people up at that point because your luggage has already been given the third degree by the time it gets in your hands. However, on the way in to Canada, if they ask you about a gear carnet, just tell them that you are an American. Canadians are required to document the gear they take in and out of the country, and there is a specific process for that. As an American, I've never had a problem just pushing my own gear through.

As far as checking the steel, yeah I've had them rip a crossrod right out of the guitar before so putting some instructions in there is a good idea. Check in first like everyone else, and if your steel in going to oversize luggage they'll tell you to bring it there once you get your tags.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 12 May 2019 4:03 am    

Thanks for the advice everyone, especially the direct Canada experience, Brett.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 11:18 am    

Brett, I thought that there was a U.S. customs at the Ottawa Airport now(just as there is at most of the major Canadian airports now)- I recall a couple of years ago sharing a cab to the airport with forumite Chris Bauer and having him disappear through customs. Whether they would have the newer systems in place in Vancouver and Toronto where connecting passengers no longer have to claim and recheck their luggage I have no idea.
Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 12:53 pm    

No problems here. My Sho Bud and Pack A Seat went to Ireland. I borrowed a Amp when I got there. If I remember right, the AC voltage was 200 volt.

Last edited by Kevin Fix on 16 May 2019 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 2:44 pm    

Maybe so, Bob. I don't recall ever having to reclaim my checked luggage on a connection though. That would surely end with us missing the flight... We fly with an insane amount of gear. Each of us with a rolling cart stacked pretty high.

I should ad that gear insurance is a nice thing. I put everything on there.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 May 2019 2:50 pm    

That was a happy day when luggage no longer needed to be reclaimed and dragged through customs on a connection!
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 5:27 pm    

Always remember to put your "bar" in your checked luggage :-} .... you can guarantee that you will get stopped and searched if it's in your carry on ! Looks too much like a .50 cal round hehe.... I'm speaking from years of flying with my gear experience :-}
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Larry Ball

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 11:16 am    

Hi Dan,

I would take Paddy's advice and not carry on a lot of equipment. I would put everything that you can in baggage that goes in the cargo hold of the aircraft. TSA and other security groups are looking for items that can be used as weapons in your carry-on. If it is in the cargo hold and not explosive then they don't bother it. When going through "Customs" having a laundry list too hand them about your equipment if asked saves everyone a lot of explaining and time. Also registering serial numbers with Customs on your equipment prior to travelling saves them from chasing the items through their data basis. Being an Airline Captain (Retired) I have many tales about the issues. They even took my nail clippers from my carry on and I was the Captain flying the airplane. When I questioned them they stated it was on their hit list(shortly after "911") of items to seize as a potential weapon. I guess they were not aware of the "Crash Axe" you have in the cockpit.

Travel smart and rest easy.

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 11:39 am    

I took my equipment to our local customs office prior to leaving the country. With a special customs form. They checked serial numbers to be sure they matched what I wrote down, then signed off on the form. Then when I left and rendered the country, I simply presented a copy of the form and it was a breeze. I agree that you should send it through baggage and INSURE it,
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 16 May 2019 12:14 pm    

Thanks for the heads-up about the customs form; I didn't know about it. Just spoke with my local office and will stop by there before I fly next week.

Good advice too about sending things through checked baggage. Problem is, my checked bag is going to be my steel, and I hate to think of something like my bar flying around in the case. That's the only "weapon" looking thing I can think of that I'll be taking in my carry-on: volume pedal, tuner, multi-stomp, chords, and picks would be the rest. I would check a separate bag with that stuff, but they charge an arm and a leg for additional bags (as opposed to the mere foot and hand I'm already paying for the first item).
Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 1:51 pm    

I always have a flyer laminated in plastic that has a picture of the steel set up and me playing it and text that says: To whom it may concern: This is a very expensive musical instrument called a pedal steel guitar. It is dissassembled in its case. If you must pick it up, please don't pick it up by the pull rods or other delicate mechanisms which could damage and render it unplayable. Pick it up carefully (if you must) by the metal endplates instead. Thank you. So far- so good. As fate would have it, I'm flying up to Deadwood, S.D. in 2 weeks so I dug out my flight case today and dusted it off. I always worry about flying my instruments but you gotta do it sometimes.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 May 2019 4:01 pm    

I think a lot of you guys are overly complicating things!
I have flown in and out of the USA, Canada, Australia, Norfolk Island and other pacific islands without any issues. Treat your guitar as just another piece of luggage - if they inspect it at some stage, which they have done with my Zum's on occasion, it's usually not a problem. You will not be stopped going through customs, other than the usual "whats in that case" question - once you tell them they usually go 'oh Okay" - because they have no clue what a pedal steel is.
Never had anyone ever ask me about serial numbers or any of that sort of detail - and I fly my Telonics amp too sometimes. The only real issue you are going to encounter is WEIGHT !! :-} and the exorbitant costs if you are over the limit.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 16 May 2019 4:06 pm    

Could be, Paddy. But it could also be the case that US Customs treats US citizens differently?

Fortunately, weight will not be an issue.
Dan Beller-McKenna

Post  Posted 27 May 2019 12:01 pm     Follow Up

Returned from my trip this morning, everything (well almost) came home unscathed.

1. I went with checking through the steel in an SKB trap case borrowed from Forumite Bruce Derr. Got my Zum Encore, legs and rods (in their bag) bracing the Zum on one side, Goodrich L120 thrown in to fill in the extra length at the changer end, and everything secured with foam and the built-in straps. Except for being pretty darned cold when I picked it up from the oversized counter in Calgary, nothing budged, and the Encore was even perfectly in tune when I set it up a few hours later.

2. Hit or miss on getting the airlines to treat the steel as "oversized": in a nutshell, everyone in Canada automatically did, while neither the check in folks nor the baggage handlers at the returning end in Boston would.

3. I did in fact have to retrieve the steel and go through security and US Customs in Ottawa on my way home. Customs was no issue. Whereas all the security points wanted a good look at all the pedals and the DV Mark 250 in my carry-on, the only big issue was the hex driver that came with the Encore (which has smaller hex nuts than standard). Ignoring my bullet-like steel bar, a gaggle of workers on the security line in Ottawa gave the driver a long look and then informed my I could not take it on the plane: exceeded some 5mm limit for tools. I had already picked up a back up, so I'm not stranded, but...bummer. In the future I'll secure it to the underside of the checked Encore with painters tape.

4. Shout out to the Encore. This thing sounded great, played perfectly, and stayed remarkably in tune through the two gigs (with a five hour car ride in between) this weekend. I love this little guy.

5. Shout out to the DV Mark Little 250 as well. I had to plug into a wide range of what-ever-is-at-hand speakers (from a Fender portable PA 12" plastic speaker cab [ick!]to an old Mesa Boogie cab fitted with a BW 1501 [wow!]), and it maintained its character throughout. I'm not selling my Quilter (or my LTD or my Twin), but the DV Mark definitely is a keeper for the right situation.