| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Do other players my age have nostalgic days and thoughts?
C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 10:56 am    

Since making my posts regarding Charlie Norris and Little Roy Wiggins, I have also been thinking about
Don Helms and Herb Remington. I was personal friends with Don, Charlie, and Herb. As a result of my
thoughts, I am having another nostalgic day.

I am in my eighties, and find that the favorite songs I play on my steels (no pedals) are old country,
western, Hawaiian, and hymns, the ones I grew up with in the 1940-1960 times.

I also find that my favorite steels are the vintage steels, 1935-1950. They don't always sound as good
as some of the modern steels, but I always go back to play these and try to overcome any faults in those.
Of course most were hand-made, rather than machine-made.

I still try to play the way Little Roy, Don, Herb and Charlie played (the steel players I remember admiring
the most). As always, I continue to play the way my Father played and taught me (he played 65+ years).

Question: Is nostalgia normal or not for other steel players in my age group?

C. E. Jackson Very Happy
A6 tuning for steels
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 11:47 am    

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, Mr. Jackson. You have well over a decade on me, and I am haunted by nostalgia with great frequency. I believe it's perfectly natural for most anyone over a certain age to pine for the good old days.

And for what it's worth, I also prefer vintage equipment. And vintage everything. My old beat-up flip-phone from about 2006 (ancient in terms of cell phones) finally went haywire, and when I brought it into the Verizon store, the 30-something kid stared at it like it was the ENIAC. "Oh, I remember these," he said. Thankfully, he was able to fix it.
Phillip Vaught

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 1:51 pm    

You have me by a decade C.E. and I think that is a normal process of being nostalgic at our age. I get in a rut trying to learn and improve my playing then I hear Kayton Roberts play "save the last waltz for me" and that's all I need for motivation. I just wish I could play the tuning he used on that top neck, sounds so great. thanks phil vaught

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 2:40 pm    

I am 82 There very few songs that I like that were written at 1965.

Joe Elk Central Ohio
gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 5:42 pm    

I miss the Leave it to Beaver days, when there were no worries.
Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2018 6:23 pm    

Count me in this group. I like all the old things and day dream about the old days. Had the same thing happen to me with the flip phone. Could not fix mine.
Bill Groner

QUAKERTOWN, PA
Post  Posted 30 Jul 2018 12:16 am    

I was told once, whatever songs were popular when you were in your teens are the ones you tend to remember when you are older. That would be for me, the Beatles, Beach Boys etc. As I got older my tastes changed. I like Country Music of the'50's, 60's, 70's and 80's, and for me, that is when Country Music stopped being Country Music.

Don't feel bad Joe Breeden....I have yet to own a cell phone....any cell phone....and don't plan on buying one anytime soon. Look at all the money I saved over the years! I'm not that important that anybody needs to get in touch with me! Laughing

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 31 Jul 2018 5:39 pm    

Yes, I often think about the songs and artists from the 50's but I'm up to date on modern technology. Here's a photo of my cell phone.

Paul Seager

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 5:41 am    

I'm 56 and my wife always comments that I only listen to music from dead people. She likes classical music so I'd say I'm more current than she is!

I have steel guitars far older than I am but I think that is not unusual for a steel player today. I also play bass and all those instruments are 25+ years old now but of a design going back to the 60's. In that sense its easy to be nostalgic with instruments.

There is a movie, "Midnight in Paris" where a visiting American finds himself in the company of long gone artists. Back in time, he talk to friends about the nostalgia of that era, how great it would be to live back then and a friend responds "All that’s missing is the Tuberculosis"!

\ paul
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 6:52 am    

I don't see any way to hear old tunes and not be nostalgic. It might not be a good thing to live in the '60s (or '70s or '80s), but to visit occasionally....
Someone once said that when you reach the age, better better memories than dreams, to see what happened rather than what hasn't.
I miss the Beaver too, which was always nostalgic for what never happened, but it was a great dream.

I certainly wouldn't want to rely solely on music created by living composers and songwriters. So if that's nostalgia, I'm in.
Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 7:13 am    

When you get really long in the tooth, all you have left is memories. Very Happy
Erv
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 7:26 am    

Hopefully it means that you've lived all your dreams.
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2018 7:36 am    

Quote:
I miss the Leave it to Beaver days, when there were no worries.

Be careful what you wish for. My wife's family's Christmas card circa 1960 was a folded card that, upon opening, revealed a drawing of the family in a bomb shelter with the caption "Peace on Earth."

Post  Posted 2 Aug 2018 9:31 am    

Thanks to everyone for the great comments and memories.

C. E. Jackson Very Happy
A6 tuning for steels