| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Epiphone Electar fitted with a JAG CC style pickup
Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2018 3:25 am    

Here is a picture of my inexpensive Epiphone Electar reissue lap steel guitar. The stock pick up was very thin and weak. There was a lot to like about the original instrument, the styling, string spacing, Aluminium nut and solid simple bridge layout. Even the inset rubber slip pad on the base of the guitar was well thought out. But......even a well thought out guitar is of no use if it does not sound good.

John Blakey of JAG guitars in Scarborough (UK) fitted one of his hand made Charlie Christian style pickups to the guitar and transformed the instrument. The service John gave me was first class. I left the guitar with him for a couple of days and when I picked up the instrument he had made a pickup surround that integrated with style of the guitar and located on the existing pickup fixings. With his hand made CR2 pickup installed the guitar certainly looked great.

The sound of the instrument is lovely. Just plugged into a little Yamaha THR10 with the volume and tone on the instrument rolled back a little and it is just a lovely clear sound. Not hot or rocky but an almost acoustic quality.......Brilliant.

I have done quite a few YouTube videos with this little guitar and I am always surprised by how easy it is to get a good sound. I just plug the little Yamaha THR10 into the computer via USB hit record, sync with the video and that's it.

I hope you don't mind me giving JAG a plug. It is not that often in this day and age you get this quality of service at a very reasonable cost. I am a very happy JAG customer and will recommend his pickups and services highly.

A video link for the sound of this instrument is below!

Sleep Walk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmdsfw30EDc

Mike
Roman Sonnleitner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2018 2:20 pm    

Very nice - great tone!
I just put JAG's super-slim floating CC-styled pickup on my Loar LH300 archtop - also sounds great!
Mike A Holland

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2018 2:26 am    

Hi Roman, I think John originally made the pickups to replicate those early warm jazz tones. I bet it sounds great!