| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fred Kelly white thumb pick
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 9:05 am    

A friend of mine introduced this pick to me, after years of using the "Blue" pick so many have come to love. I tried it, loved the sound it gave me, but it just changed my muscle memory to the point that I could not get comfortable.

After an hour or so of going back and forth I loved the tight sound on the low end so much that I just forced myself to use it only, knowing my right hand would relearn over time. It did.

I can play with more power as the tip is closer to my thumb and it does not slip on my thumb.

The tonal difference between strings 8 and 5 or 4 is more similar, tighter and brighter.

This white Fred Kelly pick is the real deal. See Amazon or Ebay etc. Other colors of this pick might be softer and thus your sound may vary.

Get rid of those big clunky thumb picks and do yourself a big favor, switch today you will not be sorry.

Phone: 971-219-8533
Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 9:12 am     Kelly thumb picks

Larry, sonny Purdum gave me my first Kelly picks about 20 years ago and I am still using them. It took me a couple of months to get adjusted to them, but now cannot use any other pick....thanks jack
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 9:53 am    

A student of mine turned me on to these after like 35+ years of using Dunlop or National whites... Within 5 minutes I realized I had indeed found the thumbpick of my dreams.. I played faster, cleaner, and more accurately almost instantly, and now its the only pick i would ever consider.. as a bonus, they NEVER wear out, and never break.. The thumb loop on the Dunlops or Nationals would break on me all the time... Not these babies... Every steel player needs to give these a serious try... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Pete Bailey

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 9:53 am    

There's also the ProPik Quik Pik which is very similar but with a metal band that allows for a wider range of adjustment and positioning on the thumb.

But those Fred Kellys are hard to beat!
Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 2:18 pm    

I've been using the Fred Kelly Slick Picks for about 15 years.I think the one I use for my steel is probably that old. The one Larry's using is the Speed pick. I use one of those from time to time. Here's Fred's website:

http://fredkellypicks.com/
Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 2:28 pm    

I like the orange delrins, I think they’re medium size. The only problem I have is the two smaller forks sometimes hit the strings when I dig in. I use the FK delrin regular picks too. For guitar, I use the orange slick pick. All good stuff.
Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 2:58 pm    

I recently started using the orange Speed Pick. To avoid the problem Fred T. mentions, I cut one of the forks off that was giving me trouble and problem solved.

Sebastopol, CA USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 6:59 pm    

Been using those Fred Kelly picks for years! I l love them!
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 7:36 pm    

Ditto on the white pick. I still use the blue regular thumbpick for regular guitar though. The slick pick only works with the steel guitar for me. Seems odd but that's how it is for me.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 7:44 pm    

I've been using them for so long I can't remember how far back it goes. I keep several in my seat at all times.

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2018 9:44 pm    

I've had pickups made to attempt to enhance the highs on the lower strings however have been disappointed with my pursuits. If you compare a Fred Kelly to a std Dunlop/Zookie/National thumb pick you will notice crisper highs with the Fred Kelly. If you compare the Fred Kelly to the ProPik Quik Pik you will notice an increase in crispness over the Fred Kelly but will have to mess w the metal band a bit to keep it from catching on the strings but it is worth it IMHO.
Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 4:50 am    

What everyone said here. Been using these picks for several years and find that the small tip provides greater agility and control. Another advantage is you will never catch a string with the band of the pick. I believe the orange is a medium and the white is heavy. I prefer the orange tonewise but either one works for me. I tried using the Ernie Ball “pickys” a few years ago as I was curious to see if the small tip of those finger picks would offer a similar result. There was no gain with these and they were weak sounding.

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 7:29 am    

I bought one of those funny looking orange picks at a little music shop in St Augustine Fl about 15+ years ago, nothing else feels right now. Get yourself a couple extras, not because they break (they don't)you may lose one. Also find that harmonics are crisper/clearer.
Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 10:13 am    

I've use Slick Picks on guitar and banjo for years but I haven't been using them on steel.

For steel I've been using John Pearce thumb picks and National NP-2s and my fingers. Problem is they are never in stock and I only have two of them.
Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 10:17 am    

Ed, Check this

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=John+Pearce+thumb+picks&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Ed Boyd

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 10:46 am    

Thanks Sir!!!

Quote:
we also will finally have our wonderful Vintageâ„¢ Thumbpicks back in stock. At this point, we are hoping by the beginning of April, 2018. Thanks to everyone who has so patiently {and not so patiently] waited for them!
Jim Fogarty

Phila, Pa, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2018 3:42 pm    

Does anyone know what size and gauge the GREEN Speed Picks are?

I bought some a while back, and can't find them anymore. Wondering what to replace them with.

Thanks!
bob drawbaugh

scottsboro, al. usa
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2018 2:52 pm    

fred kelly picks have been around a long time. Thumb pickers have been using them for years. I saw Randy Beavers playing with this pick in St. louis a few years ago. I had a different version in my pocket that I let him try. I think it was called the slick pick. He didn't like it much because, well, it was to slick. Laughing