| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Stringmaster Has Landed !!
Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 6:18 pm    

Hi Gang

Came yesterday exactly as described. Looks like the music store threw some assorted mismatched strings on so it would have something on it.

I'll prolly go some type of E tuning on top and C on the bottom. Unfortuneatly, my friend Bobby Black who uses this setup is in Nashville visiting his brother Larry, so I can't ask him for tuning/gauge info.

Last time I talked to him, he gave me this for the C tuning (I think):

C# E G A C E B D

Did I write this down correctly? (The B doesn't seem right (G maybe?)

If this looks ok, can you give me some string gauge help so I can play this sweetheart??!!

Thx for everyones' help. I wouldn't have it if it hadn't been for all the help I have got here

Thx!

Bob
Bob Knight

Bowling Green KY
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 7:31 pm    

Here's a Guage Chart Bob
Courtesy of CARTER Steel Guitars http://www.steelguitarinfo.com/strings/stringgauges.html

[This message was edited by Bob Knight on 14 November 2001 at 07:32 PM.]

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2001 7:57 pm    

Bob, Congratulations on your new acquisition! If you ask 10 players what tuning you should use... you'll get 10 different answers

My suggestion would be C6 and E13. I use the "Jerry Byrd" C6/A7 combination on the rear neck and E13 on the front neck.

There are a number of ways to set up a particular tuning. C6 must have the following notes: C, E, G, A. Those notes also spell out the Am7 chord. Below is one way to set up your 8 string C6. It's the same as strings 1 through 8 of the standard C6 pedal steel tuning:

C6/Am7

1) G .011
2) E .014
3) C .017 plain
4) A .022 wound
5) G .024
6) E .030
7) C .034
Cool A .042

Jerry Byrd's C6/A7 tuning is an offshoot of the above tuning and it gives the player a nice full dominant 7th chord which is not available on the standard C6 tuning. I use this tuning (and E13) on my D-8 Rickenbacker:

C6/A7

1) E .014
2) C .017 plain
3) A .022 wound
4) G .024
5) E .030
6) C# .034
7) C .034
Cool A .042

If you play E9 pedal steel, the 8 string E13 tuning will seem pretty familiar. E13 must have the following notes: E, G#, B, C#, D. Here's how I set mine up:

E13

1) E .014
2) C# .017
3) B .018
4) G# .024 wound
5) E .030
6) D .034
7) B .038
Cool E .056

John Ely has a great STRING GAUGE CHART on his site.

Enjoy your new toy! If you ever get bored with it... let me know and I'll buy it! db

------------------
My Site

Doug's Free Tab

[This message was edited by Doug Beaumier on 14 November 2001 at 08:02 PM.]

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 8:32 am    

Bob:
I've been watching your various posts about your new guitar with some interest - you got a good one. www.scottysmusic.com has page after page of tunings/gauges to peruse and print. Do check it out - it will be very helpful. I use an A6 tuning on the neck closest to me (F# A C# E F# A C# E - same intervals as the C6, just lower in pitch), and the "Don Helms" E13 on the front neck (E or B, D E G# B C# E G#) - I tried the "Leon" E13 that I think was spelled out in the last post, then switched to "Helms". b0bby Lee uses this tuning, as well. In fact, he has a tuning/gauge chart at the top of the pages of this forum marked "Tunings". Have fun . . .

Rob Yale
Keith Grubb

Petaluma, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 8:52 am    

Hey Bob,

Congratulations on the new guitar. The tuning you wrote down: C# E G A C E B D is right. I remember an old post where Bobby Lee wrote about it. I haven't tried it out yet but it look to be full of posibilities.
On strings 8 to 5 you have a dom. 7th chord and if you throw in the B string you get a 9th chord.

The B and D strings are pitched between the A and C string so you have a lot of melodic work you can do. I addition because they are out of sequence you can strum 6th chords on strings 7 to 3.

Do you happen to know what other tunings Bobby Black is using? As far as what gauges to use, the above links are a good place to start. You may want to adjust the thickness of some strings depending on how tight or loose you like your strings.

Good Luck,

Keith

[This message was edited by Keith Grubb on 15 November 2001 at 08:54 AM.]

Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 8:58 am    

I don't know how you guys play these tunings where you have lower pitched strings following higher ones. I'm so used to going towards my body if I want hit a lower note, and away from my body to hit a higher note. Guess this comes from 35 years of playing standard and alternate tuning guitars, none of which used a tuning with lower pitched strings that follow higher ones.

nick allen

France
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 9:08 am    

It's the PEDAL steelers! they're all used to it...
I don't remember seeing anyone who got seriously into lap steel before pedals recommending these types of tunings -although Joaquin Murphy and I believe Herb Remington, and possibly others, had the occasional high string on the bottom (nearest the body) which I guess is the same principle...
Nick
Bill Leff

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 10:13 am    

Nick:

OK now I understand, and yet another reason why the pedal steel is considered by some to be a completely different instrument than a "real guitar"

Of course, I personally do not share this opinion
Mikel Nelson

San Diego, CA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2001 11:05 am    

Got to agree with you Bill!