| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Is it worth using a stereo rig?
Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 9:07 pm    

I'm looking for feedback from some players who are or have been in a similar playing situation as me where ur playing mostly large outside and inside venues.

Of course, I like the sound of a true stereo amp rig utilizing chorus and delay but I think it's been established that after a finite distance in front of the dual speakers the listeners can't hear the difference. So, if I were to have the sound company set-up 2 separate mics will the listeners then experience what I'm hearing; will it "fill the room" if the sound tech is good at his job? Or would I be doing it strictly for my own satisfaction?

Thanks for any help.

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 11:00 pm    

I'd say only people in the right places will get what you envisioned. Too far to the left or right, and they get a different image than what you had in mind..
Record in stereo, fine.
But live? I'd skip it.
John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 11:43 pm    

What Wayne said.
Now if you are inspired by the stereo soundscape from where you sit, by all means go for it. Just know very few other people will hear it that way, If the PA is mono (most are) then the sound guy has more opportunity to screw up a stereo rig.
Sometimes the beam is the best strategy for you and the audience hearing the same sound.
J
Cody Angel

Nashville, Tn
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 1:51 am    

I dig it for personal inspiration. I used both cabs with a Walker rig and it sounded cool for me, but that was about the extent of it. Unless the sound man is involved and pans them, it probably won't make much difference. Using stereo effects, it might be cool to make the room spin if done right. My gig didn't call for that and the sound man took the direct line anyway haha. If it inspires you, definitely worth trying, but the gig would have to call for some pretty spacey stuff and be mixed just right for it to be a major improvement.

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 3:20 am    

Most people in the audience won't hear it. Usually the musician is the only one that knows or hears it. Several use stereo or two speaker systems at our club jams and I hear no difference.

I had a "stereo" system and never took it out of the house. Finally sold off all the pieces.
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 4:08 am    

The only thing that works on my stereo set up that is different is when I use my "B3 Organ" effect I set up in my Zoom pedal. You can hear the rotatory speaker effect going back and forth.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 4:25 am    

Marty,
I have used Stereo set up for years, now using Telonics combo, Playing large gigs, as you know our amps are just monitors for us, sound man has control of what the crowd hears Oh Well .. I don't like t hear my steel in the monitor, we need to hear the tone we want or use to , otherwise we fight playing all night.... at least for me..Telonics combo is a GREAT steel amp!...just my 2 cents.. Whoa!
Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 6:37 am    

David Wright wrote:
our amps are just monitors for us

I practise with two amps because I have an identical pair which give a nice stereo reverb image which heightens the enjoyment, but I agree with the others who don't see much benefit on a gig.
Ken Metcalf

San Antonio Texas USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 6:53 am    

Two speakers or amps will often cancel out annoying frequency tones.
There are options to stack or spread out speakers and point different directions.
It is nice to hear a sound you like even if the audience doesn't get the full dose because if you are hearing a tone that bugs you and want to adjust it is distracting and takes some of the fun away.

Cody Angel wrote:
I dig it for personal inspiration.
Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 7:31 am    

I always play thru my stereo steel amps. I love the full warm sound
and people tell me I really play good and I'm not that good at all. Laughing

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 8:09 am     stereo sound?

best sound i ever had was 2/session 500 amps run thru an old ad9 delay. the sound guy would use 2/mikes with one channel panned left and the other panned right, the crowd hears what you are hearing....thanks jack
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 9:28 am    

I like stereo but when I was carrying two 15 inch cabs and a rack system it was labor intensive to haul. Using a single 12 inch speaker cab with various small heads.
Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 9:43 am    

I did the stereo thing a few times over the years. It gave me a fuller sound and was most noticeable if I used a chorus but that was about it. I noticed all the big time players all using single amps and I also got tired of hauling all that crap into the clubs.

I find a single amp mic'd through the PA works great and so does my back.

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 10:30 am    

Thank you for all of your input. I sorta expected the responses I would get but I wanted to be sure I'd thought of all the angles. I might still do a customized rig utilizing an Ibanez Analog Chorus and Delay pedal, just for my personal satisfaction. I'm going to work on making it as portable as possible. Right now it's too easy to setup and tear down my current rig....Lol. I do have an idea though....we'll see....and if I do it I'll post pics.

My best to all....

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin
John De Maille

On a Mountain in Upstate Halcottsville, N.Y.
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 10:38 am    

I've been using my SS system for about 7 years now and I love it. It's only three pieces and none of them weigh a lot. No problem. If you have a hand truck, you can roll all three, plus your seat and maybe your steel in one shot. It's not a big deal.
As to the sound.... I love the sound. Big, rich and full. At close range, meaning me and anyone close to the stage, the stereo effect works and works well. However, at a distance that effect is lost in the air. But, your big, rich sound still is effective. I usually place the speakers a little behind and a little to the left and right of me. The sound is encompassing.
As to sound men. They usually mike both speakers, no problem.
I also have a Nashville 400 and 1000. They both sound good, but, the SS system is my go to system. BTW- I was using a ProFex ll for effects, but, now I use a TC Electronics M-300.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 10:42 am    

It's worth it to me. I play for myself too. Sometimes I get miced hard left and right, sometimes not. Whether the audience gets it in stereo or not is no great concern to me.
Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 5:01 pm    

John Goux wrote:
If the PA is mono (most are)

i'm not sure how this became Internet common knowledge, but it's not true. you'd have to try very hard to buy a mono PA system.
Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 5:03 pm    

to answer the question, i don't make a point to for pedal steel, but i'm almost there to committing to a stereo rig full time for guitar work. if you can work it, it's worth it.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 6:49 pm    

Jamie Mitchell wrote:
John Goux wrote:

i'm not sure how this became Internet common knowledge, but it's not true. you'd have to try very hard to buy a mono PA system.

It's still common to run mono mixes (except when wacky effects are called for).
Unless you can justify that people on the left side of the crowd hear a totally different show from the people on the right.
Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 7:00 pm    

Lane Gray wrote:
Jamie Mitchell wrote:
John Goux wrote:

It's still common to run mono mixes (except when wacky effects are called for).
Unless you can justify that people on the left side of the crowd hear a totally different show from the people on the right.

i'm not saying no one mixes in mono, but it certainly doesn't seem to be the professional standard, in my experience.
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 6:27 am    

If my seats are on the left and I can't hear the cats on the right, I'm gonna be PISSED. Hearing half the show is called getting ripped the f*&@ off.
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 7:26 am    

Lane Gray wrote:
If my seats are on the left and I can't hear the cats on the right, I'm gonna be PISSED. Hearing half the show is called getting ripped the f*&@ off.

That's what stereo expanders are made for. Don't know if anyone uses such units/effects though.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 8:14 am    

David Wright wrote:
Marty,
I have used Stereo set up for years, now using Telonics combo, Playing large gigs, as you know our amps are just monitors for us, sound man has control of what the crowd hears Oh Well .. I don't like t hear my steel in the monitor, we need to hear the tone we want or use to , otherwise we fight playing all night.... at least for me..Telonics combo is a GREAT steel amp!...just my 2 cents.. Whoa!

That's me too. I don't want a monitor anywhere near me. I actually had a little tiff with a soundman on a gig. He kept insisting that I should have a monitor. I finally turned it around toward the audience. I played great that time.

I used a stereo rig for a short while. Except for maybe the rotary effect that Scott mentioned, I didn't like the effects a dry signal coming from one speaker and the wet signal coming from the other. Stereo is only good for you on stage. Even if you were to mic both, it will still come out mono for the crowd. Except, as someone mentioned, the soundman could pan each to one side of the stage. I can't imagine that being a good sound for most in the crowd. I finally got tired of hauling around all that stuff and sold it.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jamie Mitchell

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2016 8:23 am    

Lane Gray wrote:

respectfully, Lane, it doesn't work that way.
i'm not sure where you're getting this hearing half the show bit. stereo imaging doesn't somehow eliminate the sound source further away from you, it's just a stereo image. also, *hard* panning for live sound would indeed be somewhat rare, mostly for dual mono sources like a DI'd keyboard.

again, that's not to say that no one mixes in mono, or that there aren't situations in which mixing in mono is the way to go. but professional standards, in my professional experience is FOH is stereo.
John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2016 2:23 pm    

If PA systems are now stereo, I stand corrected on that presumption, as I've been doing this long enough to have been in the mono age.
I bring stereo rigs to about half my live and studio gigs. I tell the engineer, "I've got stereo or mono, whichever you want". 9 times out of 10 they put a 57 in front of one speaker and go mono.
Little Feat ran a stereo PA way back when, and they had Lowell George's guitar panned to the opposite side from us. I walked around and was disappointed to be on the wrong side of the venue. Could not hear him well enough from our seats.
I think the question is not whether the PA is built for stereo, but whether or not they are using it as such.
J