| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Battery
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 4:16 pm    

Can someone walk me through changing a battery for my ProfexII? Any help would be appreciated... Slim

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 5:43 pm    

I would get the Ken Fox mod chip and do away with the battery. Did mine years ago and still using it.
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2016 6:37 pm    

Slim,
Changing the battery takes about 45 minutes and you have to open the unit, remove all of the control knobs and external nuts for the jacks, remove the circuit board, unsolder the old battery and resolder the new battery, then reassemble the unit an reinitialize the unit. The battery costs about $6 and will last probably another 15 years.

But, buying a chip from Ken Fox which is $40 shipped only requires you to remove the top of the unit and clip off the three battery connections from the top. Remove one chip and replace it with the memory chip. Takes about 10 minutes and no future worries about a leaking battery. I've replaced many batteries over the years but I went the chip on my current Transtube Fex and highly recommend that over replacing the battery.
Dave
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 3:24 am    

A heads up, whether you replace the battery or do the batteryless mod (what I would recommend too) you are going to lose what is in user memory. If you have a RAM card with the programs on it you are OK to restore. If not, either lose the programs or get a cache card so you can backup your programs.
Alan Cannell

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 4:07 am     Peavey Profex battery

If you don't want to go down the route of the chip , may I suggest this alternative when you replace the battery. Get a competent engineer to remove the battery from the circuit board , place it inside a leakproof cylinder and install it in a position in the unit away from the board. I have had this mod done to two of my units with great success. Unfortunately I have seen many a Profex ruined through leaking batteries damaging the circuit boards beyond repair . Finally I was advised by my engineer to check the battery every 3 years...better to be safe than sorry.
Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 9:14 am    

I guess my next question would be how do I know if the circuit board is ruined.... Slim

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2016 11:05 am    

Slim , it would be advisable to get a good engineer/technician to have a look at it.
Have the unit checked to see if the battery has leaked into the board , if it has its a 50/50 chance the damage may be irreversible. If the unit is still working as it should ,you might be one of the lucky ones who has caught the problem early.
Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2016 6:23 am     Profex II

Peavey technicians can evaluate and repair your Profex II for you if the battery has not leaked into the circuit board. In some cases, it can be cleaned.