| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Practice using your DAW
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 4:54 am    

I doubt I am the first to do this but none the less, here are two methods I use.

both methods require creating a simple DAW project. One track for Steel and a Master Fader.

added: DAW > Digital Audio Workstation ( PC or MAC recorder) , such as Pro Tools, Sonar, Reaper, Audacity etc...

# 1, import the audio from a course ( MP3 or wav) that you are working on. Pro Tools creates a new track with audio import, not sure how others do it.Regardless, you should now have the AUDIO for the course in the project.

don't forget to SAVE the project.

Use the playback LOOP option for the sections you are working on, play along, whatever. Record and save with each session to monitor your results. Delete the recording on the next session, start over. This is especially useful for repeating phrases over and over along with the course study.

Import songs that you are working on into the project, could be 1, 5,10, etc.. each will have a separate track. Save this project, delete or add songs as necessary.

Save the project with ALL songs muted so when you do open the practice session you only have to UNMUTE that one song that you are working on. I have a practice session with probably 15 songs, they change every few weeks or so. Again the LOOP playback is a great option here for repetition.

The real good news here is you can practice all day long in your headphones thru your DAW and nobody is running for the hills.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 1 Jan 2016 1:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Tom Sosbe

Rushville,In
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 7:42 am    

ok I know I'm stupid but what in the hell is a daw.
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 8:13 am    

Digital Audio Workstation

Either a recorder or software like Pro Tools

You are not stupid! If you don't use these you would never have heard the term

I do something similar with tracks - can't argue with the playback
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 9:47 am    

Practicing with my home recording rig has been a game changer for me. I'm able to take demos that song writers make and record ideas and send them back. What a great thing! Another thing I do is create drone tracks to practice to and loop them.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 31 Dec 2015 11:10 am    

Fine ideas Tony, and also gets you ever more comfy with operating the DAW, plus you're right there to export a good demo, add FX etc. Another thing ProTools and most DAW's do instantly is half speed playback…

Happy woodshedding to all!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 1:30 am    

Christopher Woitach wrote:
Digital Audio Workstation

Either a recorder or software like Pro Tools

You are not stupid! If you don't use these you would never have heard the term

thx for the clarification Christopher !

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 2:16 am    

Though I’m still not good, I believe that playing with my DAW,
(PreSonus Studio One 3 Professional) has helped make me better...
After too many breaks from playing and not having played in a group
setting for years, I found my thinking process slowing down... Playing
with the DAW and tracks, recording and then listening to and re-evaluating
what I’m doing has helped in many ways... It’s caused me to think a
little faster, or at least loop those area’s where I’m having trouble
and playing until I finally get it... After not playing with other people
for so many years, some of this stuff seems to come at me so fast
that it’s a real workout... when it starts feeling like it’s coming at me
a little slower, thats a pretty good indication to me that I’m getting
comfortable with what I’m doing, and maybe there’s hope for me yet.
Very Happy Smile Very Happy
*2021 Rittenberry, "The Concord" D10 9x9
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com
mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 5:09 am    

Hi Dale,

You are selling yourself short. Your tunes are really well done and sound great. And I agree totally with Tony; recording allows you to sit back and really evaluate what you are doing. It has sure helped me.

Happy New Year.

MT

Infinity D-10 Justice SD-10 Judge Revelation Octal Preamp, Fractal AXE III, Fender FRFR 12
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 9:54 am    

I took a look at pro tools,,and some other similar program a while back,,,and being the technically challenged person I am, it really looks like I'm much further away from being proficient with those things than I am from being a master steel guitarist (and I'm a loooong way from that). I have to weigh the options,,,should I spend time learning to use those programs,,,or spend that time practicing steel guitar. I guess in this ever changing techno world there would be no end to what we COULD do. Man, I miss the old days when we could grab an amp in one hand, an instrument in the other, hit the bandstand and play 3-4 hours, collect out money and leave the same way we came in. Seems we are so bogged down with equipment and technological gadgets we don't have time to "play" (have fun) anymore.
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 10:27 am    

Quote:
Seems we are so bogged down with equipment and technological gadgets we don't have time to "play" (have fun) anymore.

Well said, Sonny, I agree. It's about the law of diminishing returns...
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 1:21 pm    

I certainly understand those that are not up to snuff with gadgets, recorders etc...but please don't diminish (also a scale/chord) that gadgets can be great tools.

It's not about learning how to use the gadgets it's about using the gadgets to further the journey. Programs such as Audacity are extremely easy to use and have minimal if any cost at all. The rewards for using such a gadget could be huge.

I read all the time how some of us are not comfortable with recorders or certain software programs and I certainly understand that, but this is 2016 now and many folks are indeed using these tools to advance. As a young kid back in the late 50's early 60's I can't even imagine what I could have done with a multi track recorder let along a PC software DAW !

It's not about one or the other, it's BOTH. I don't see us bogged down at all or not having fun.

And yes, the process and or the gadgetry is not for everyone. I agree totally. Smile

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 2:40 pm    

To hopefully amplify Tony's insights, I don't think he or others are suggesting in this or other threads that anyone "needs" to acquire and explore digital recording to "be a better steel guitarist". It's just that so many of us have professional or hobbyist connections with home and studio recording, and may not have thought of all the ways it can help our picking journey.

In my case, I've been recording almost as long as I've been playing, and in many situations, it's tempting to separate the pursuits, for instance, after a full day in the studio, most engineer/producers can't wait to shut down the gear and go on to other interests, perhaps including some practice time.

It's valuable and inspiring to be reminded that whatever recording gear we have, we can use it to advance our practice routine and playing skills. Thanks for the reminders, Tony!
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 3:45 pm    

To clarify,,,I'm by no means "knocking" those that are more technologically inclined,,,didn't intend it to fault anyone's interest. My apologies if anyone was offended. As I've said in many of my post,,,to each his own.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Jan 2016 9:23 pm    

I use Apples Logic occasionally to practice. I recently was trying to pick apart a snippet of BE's speed picking tape. Although I am miles away from actually playing it, the ability to slow it down and loop it is extremely helpful…mostly because I play by ear and this is how I've learned the majority of what I can play, by playing along with things repeatedly, over and over, until it becomes a muscle memory type of retention.

I also use the "DAW" to practice guitar or mandolin along with MIDI tracks of JS BACH and others. Learning his solo violin pieces in little 2 or 4 bar snippets is a great way to learn something new (yet really old haha) by slowing the tempo way down and learning the proper notes, then finding the easiest positions etc. Slowly increasing the tempo until you reach your potential is one of the best ways to practice (any ol metronome will work too). Even if you can't play it full speed so what!? You've just learned something awesome!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2016 1:38 am    

Mark van Allen wrote:

In my case, I've been recording almost as long as I've been playing

Thx Mark !

I've been recording LONGER than I have been playing.

Long ago in a galaxy far away, my brother was given a Pentron 7" reel to reel recorder. At some point he lost interest and gave it to me, I was about 10. I think I actually started playing guitar BECAUSE of the recording.It wasn't enough to just record hours upon hours of radio songs, the notion to "play along" found it's way into my brain.

What came first , the chicken or the egg ? Laughing

Oh yeah and this, it was my brothers guitar that I picked up and started playing as well!

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2016 2:31 pm    

While modern technology offers almost unlimited opportunities for creativity my needs are quite simple. I would just like to make simple backing tracks to suit my musical tastes (from Bill Monroe to Bach). I have BIAB and a multitrack recorder but the instructions such asthey are keep referring to midi which makes even less sense to me. I might be able to figure it out if I could find the time without family distractions but that ain't gonna happen. It's getting harder to find 80 yearolds to jam with especially when you get away from bluegrass and vintage hillbilly. Just wanted to get that off my chest.