| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Cheapest way to ship international
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 5:14 am    

I have a deal pending, depending on the shipping cost. Does anybody know a shipping company that I can use that has the best shipping rate? Perhaps airport to airport with no pick up or delivery costs involved. FEDEX and UPS rates are out of the question.

Thanks and I hope somebody can help me close a deal.
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 6:50 am    

George, A couple of times I sent instruments from the USA to Europe airport to airport and they arrived quickly with no problem.. Also no huge bill such as UPS or FED-EX would deliver. Good luck
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 9:44 am     International Shipping

George,

Up until now, I've been using DHL for international shipping. My UPS Store has a DHL Franchise, so I've been hauling the package there for them to ship it.

I recently used NEX Worldwide Express to ship a D-10 ZumSteel to Australia with great results. They are partnered with DHL and will come right to your door to pick up the item.

https://www.shipnex.com/default.aspx

My customer saved several hundred dollars by using this company instead of going directly through DHL. NEX is done all online, so you'd have to set up an account, which takes very little time. Once you do that, you just place the order and they dispatch a truck to pick up the package. It then gets transferred over to DHL, who actually transports the package to the destination. It's all very seamless.

I have an Emmons S-10 PP that I've just finished doing some setup work on for another customer in Australia. I'm planning to ship it back to him using NEX to save some money.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2015 3:15 pm    

I use USPS, never had a problem, and way cheaper then UPS or FedEx , especially if you pay on line, but weight limit is 70lbs

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 5:14 am     What's the cheapest way to ship international?

Thanks, everybody for the help. I will pursue the companies that Lynn mentioned. It is over 70 LB, so USPS will not work.

I don't think it makes any difference, but the country is Germany.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 7:38 am    

I've used USPS despite their apparent insurance-valuation limit. I admit, though, I've only shipped guitars this way, not steels.

Coincidentally, the last one I shipped was to Germany and all went extremely well. Far, far cheaper than the other companies.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 7:50 am     usps

I use U S Post Office too - not a problem

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 10:13 am    

Lynn, thanks for that valuable information regarding NEX Worldwide Express. stevet
Andy Eder

North Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 11:20 am    

USPS is no doubt the cheapest as long as the box is within the dimensions and actual weight.

Each country varies on size and maximum weight and they have insurance limits also.

Any buyer who wants you to under declare the value and tells you they'll accept the responsibility if the guitar is lost or damaged so they can save import taxes and duties mean it, until there is a problem.

There are private musical instrument insurance companies that will cover you over the shipper's coverage (varies but usually $500) and there is no charge as long as you have the correct policy.
Andy Eder

North Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 11:40 am     Re: International Shipping

Lynn Stafford wrote:
George,

Up until now, I've been using DHL for international shipping. My UPS Store has a DHL Franchise, so I've been hauling the package there for them to ship it.

I recently used NEX Worldwide Express to ship a D-10 ZumSteel to Australia with great results. They are partnered with DHL and will come right to your door to pick up the item.

https://www.shipnex.com/default.aspx

My customer saved several hundred dollars by using this company instead of going directly through DHL. NEX is done all online, so you'd have to set up an account, which takes very little time. Once you do that, you just place the order and they dispatch a truck to pick up the package. It then gets transferred over to DHL, who actually transports the package to the destination. It's all very seamless.

I have an Emmons S-10 PP that I've just finished doing some setup work on for another customer in Australia. I'm planning to ship it back to him using NEX to save some money.

Hi Lynn,

How much did the shipping, boxing, and insurance, cost to Australia? Was it door to door?

Taxes, duties, vat, etc....separate?

Thanks,
Andy
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 11:48 am    

Try DHL. I once shipped a heavy steel from San Francisco to England. It was snowing over there, yet they delivered it within two days.

I believe DHL gave up local shipping, and now concentrate entirely on international.
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2015 1:38 pm    

I had a good experience sending a steel with Pack 'n Send. Their rates were good, and they took care of customs and everything.

Best of luck!

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver
George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 4:29 am     Cheapest way to ship international

Susan, there are no Pack and Send stores in my area, but thanks for the tip.

Wish I was in New Zealand for your tour. Many years ago, I went to a travelogue on New Zealand. I have wanted to go ever since. They called it the "Switzerland of the pacific" or something like that. One scene was the beach with some snow capped mountains in the background. Lots of sheep and hot springs. They showed cooking corn on the cob in the springs. The narrator said you would not want to eat it. The springs smell really bad, like rotten eggs. Spring should just be beginning, so maybe you will have better weather than in Baltimore. Don't know if they get a lot of rain in the spring like we do.

If you ever do a show in the Northeast TN area, let me know. I love to meet you and hear you play.

George
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2015 10:57 am    

Damir Besic wrote:
...but weight limit is 70lbs

I think the last thing that I shipped to you was more than 70 lbs. I hope it arrived safely.
Susan Alcorn

Baltimore, MD, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2015 2:20 pm    

George, I hope you have found a company for your shipping. The tour in New Zealand will be an adventure; I am looking forward to it.

Also, I hope that someday I'll play in Northeast Tennessee, and when I do, I'll look forward to meeting you.

Best of luck with your shipping!

"So this is how you swim inward. So this is how you flow outwards. So this is how you pray."
- Mary Oliver

Last edited by Susan Alcorn on 5 Nov 2015 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 7:50 am    

IPS Parcel
Peter Johannisse

Spijkenisse, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2015 8:12 am    

http://www.parcelparcel.com/en_US/home_en/
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2015 6:51 pm    

Airport to airport is my choice. Cheaper than the couriers too
Andrew Keenan

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2015 9:33 pm    

Hey Lynn,

Does NEX offer insurance on items being shipped? I'm trying to ship a D10 to Sweden.

Thanks,
Andy Keenan
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2015 4:51 pm    

Alan Brookes wrote:
Damir Besic wrote:
...but weight limit is 70lbs

I think the last thing that I shipped to you was more than 70 lbs. I hope it arrived safely.

it sure did, 70lbs limit may only apply to international shipping maybe, not sure, but my post office wouldn't ship anything over 70lbs