| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gadget for Practice Amp, Headphones, cable tester, etc.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2015 12:49 pm    

I spent the last couple days building this little project with a $29 kit I got from http://www.parts-express.com/build-your-own-guitar-combo-amp-components-only--249-400 Edit: No longer available.
It's just components, so you have to build a cabinet of some sort.

It's a 5W amp module with a line out, headphone jack, ext speaker jack, cable tester and a power supply w/8 1/8" 9VDC adapter jacks for your stomps etc. plus more features.

I put in a closed/ported chamber for the speaker and built it like a pedal board with room for stomp boxes. Basically for plugged in use w/my mandolin and dobro, but it sounds pretty good with a tele too. I built the cabinet so I can flip the little amp module around, and set the thing up on the big end like a combo amp too. Just 5W but plenty loud for practice etc. and the little 6 1/2" Eminence speaker sounds really good.

You can switch the speaker off and just use your headphones for silent practice and there's an input for your CD, media players etc. as well.

I thought some of you tinkerers might be interested.

Caveat: They don't tell you this, but the 8 9VDC power supply ports for stomps, etc. are center negative but the jacks are made for 1/8" male plugs. Most modern effects use barrel style plugs, so you would either have to build cables for thoses or use polarity switching adpaters like the Godlyke Powerall daisy chain assortment which I just happened to have. Bummer there, but works OK in my case. A few pics with obvious cable disarray just plugged in for testing.

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 3 Jun 2024 1:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2015 1:44 pm    

i get the parts express catalog too and saw that in there. i have to say i laughed, but, i hope it works well for you. there is always a catch, huh?

play music!

http://muscmp.wordpress.com/
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2015 2:54 pm    

Yeah Michael. I found out what was causing my problem. I was trying to run the Boss 900 off the same power supply. It requires 1A, so between that and the little module, it was taking too much power.

Putting the Boss fx unit back on it's own separate power supply solved the problem and the unit works fine with the other stomp boxes I have.

Actually it works just fine, is a good tool for practice, etc. and the added features make it well worth the cost for me. I put the module in a tiny case so I can take only that with me anywhere I go if I just need a headphone amp etc.
Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 11:48 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
Yeah Michael. I found out what was causing my problem. I was trying to run the Boss 900 off the same power supply. It requires 1A, so between that and the little module, it was taking too much power.

Putting the Boss fx unit back on it's own separate power supply solved the problem and the unit works fine with the other stomp boxes I have.

Actually it works just fine, is a good tool for practice, etc. and the added features make it well worth the cost for me. I put the module in a tiny case so I can take only that with me anywhere I go if I just need a headphone amp etc.

glad it works for you, and, that you figured it out. that is sometimes the most difficult part.

play music!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 2:02 pm    

I just took the tour of your Museum. Really cool gear and electronics! Didn't see any of the Footnote units tho Exclamation Laughing
Michael Butler

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2015 8:59 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
I just took the tour of your Museum. Really cool gear and electronics! Didn't see any of the Footnote units tho Exclamation Laughing

jerry: thanks in regards to my Snakeskin's museum.

i do have some footnote type things that will eventually make it into the museum.

play music!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 10:49 am     Update from 2015

I had an opportunity over the weekend to support one of my friend's family in a charitable event locally named the Crusade for Children which is a 70+ yr. ongoing fund raiser for obviously a program that provides assistance for challenged children. Everyone donates their time and support for 100% of donations go to the program. It's a huge event for miles around the region with participation from the Fire Departments, Businesses and individuals stepping up. I think it raised slightly more than $3M this year.

We were supporting a young lady's effort to raise funds who has some disabilities but with an enormous and surprising library of music knowledge with her performance along with other family members participating some too.

Anyway, it was just for an hour and I didn't want to drag the 100W MosValve out being somewhat tired and lazy with rain in the forecast so I took this in the hopes that it would deliver enough sound. Using my Alvarez brand Nashville T style guitar.

We were set up in a large tent but mild rain showers were in the area which eventually ran us out but:

This little rig just did a wonderful job and had a great sound. Folks looked at each other skeptically when I brought it in, but later commented they couldn't believe the sound and volume that it produced.

All the fx are in that Boss 900 unit and there about 100 programmable patches to work with although I only used a couple. All in support of Angie and her family...her Dad was the main guitar player and I was just supporting him. We also had a buddy on Bass but no drums. It was a great experience and I got to see how this tiny 5 Watter with a 6 1/2 in. speaker would work in a live band situation. I was also surprised but very proud of my little build project.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 5:19 pm    

My brother bought one of those back then and built a cabinet for his acoustic guitar. Did a great job.
Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2024 5:39 pm    

Yeah, a lot of people laughed at my project as a waste of time with too little to do, but I felt it was a worthwhile effort. Several others, like your brother, felt so as well.

It's astounding how much sound this thing puts out.

Another thing with my little rig, the Boss has internal drum kits which would have come in handy at our little fundraiser except they would all have to have been tweaked for ea. tune on the list and there just wasn't enough information available from the folks in time for that.