| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How Many Steel Players Can't Afford Expensive Hobbies?
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 5:27 pm    

me! i'm one.
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 5:33 pm    

I'm into running and hiking. It's free!

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 5:51 pm    

I can't even afford inexpensive hobbies. SSDI montly payments don't go very far.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Larry Carlson

My Computer
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 5:54 pm    

I thought playing our instruments was an expensive hobby. Question
Sometimes it doesn't.
But I keep on trying.
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 5:55 pm     Well now.................

In 1978, I had a brand new Harley Electra Glide. I loved it but a divorce made it impractical.

I used to fly (1956-1990). The last plane was twin
engine Cessna 310. I'd hoped to one day own a Convair 340 and/or a Douglass DC-7C. But..the divorce also dashed all of my hopes for that adventure.

A p-51 Mustang would have been my choice for a personal aircraft.

My music has now gotten so expensive, I can't even pursue that avenue any more.

After acquiring more than a dozen Rickenbachers and a Volu-Tone amp......I still can't sound like my idol, JERRY BYRD.
Mitch Ellis

Collins, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 6:07 pm    

Count me in, Chris. I enjoy buying certain kinds of antiques. Guns, farm tools, old trucks, household items, personal items such as Zippo lighters and pocket knives, old fishing tackle, etc. Things like that. As long as they're all in the $75.00 to $150.00 price range. Laughing

Mitch
Edward Rhea

Medford Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 6:20 pm    

I'm curious, what you consider an expensive hobby, Chris? Thanx

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 6:56 pm    

I only play steel for fun and my day job pays pretty well, so I can afford a few things. I ain't near good enough to make a living at music.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 7:11 pm    

I'm into my bowhunting so new bows and bits can be quite expensive .... but gee that venison tastes so sweet hehe !! and it's free
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Ivan Posa

Hamilton, New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 8:10 pm    

I love my long range Varmint rifle shooting and I also am heavily in to Clay Target shooting. I compete in all disciplines with my favourite being Sporting Clays.
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2015 8:21 pm    

Some collect coins, some collect stamps. I have a couple of hobbies, call me "Ed Bundy" from Married With Children. Maybe "Chum lee" Of Pawn Stars.

I also collect hand held dynamic microphones. I also own several wireless systems. The cases I keep each microphone in, were $30 for each hard case. I purchase them from Peavey, they are on their website.

Also a few cables to go along with my microphones. I also built a few of these as well.

All the "Blue" mic. cables

I custom built this LowZ quad cable. It's Belden Brilliance 1192A with custom Neutrik gold plated connectors, with custom red & black boots. This cable was still $50 with me building it.

No idea why...???? Whoa!
Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2015 3:04 am    

I have a collection of nuts, bolts, screws, and nails out in the shop...

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2015 5:23 am    

Expensive ? I guess it's all relative... Many of my friends who have so called expensive hobbies don't have $4000 Steel guitars,( or more than 1 ) 4 Telecasters, 6 amps, a full blown Home Recording studio , 3 Taylor Guitars,a couple of Dobro's, a couple of Mandolins etc....

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2015 6:32 am    

I don't have kids or a wife (anymore). Drive an old truck and my giant guitar collection is long gone. But I have the things that make me smile. Remember the wealthy man is not he who owns the most but the one who needs the least...

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 8:38 am    

", call me "Ed Bundy" from Married With Children."

Actually, it's AL Bundy---played by Ed O'Neill.

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 9:49 am    

I can't hardly afford to even pay attention.

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 10:29 am    

I've had both lean and prosperous times. After putting two kids through college and one divorce I was finally able to relax a bit financially.

In the lean times I was driving a 1974 Chevy Vega with scorched piston cylinders burning a quart of oil every 300 miles (thanks GM!). After that I bought a used 1968 Malibu for $400 that I drove for a year that had holes in the floorboard next to the gas pedal. After that it was a used 1986 Monte Carlo that was so rotted out that the frame broke in half a day after I sold it. The car literally had separate front and back sections with the front section sitting on the road just behind the driver's seat. Next seven cars were Hondas the 1st of which ran for 235K miles.

My steels were always beaters that my dad made extra levers for but they sounded all right. The new MSA that I have now I'd be afraid of takig into a club scene. Most of the really good pickers I knew back then had beater steels and teles and could pick the fire out of them.

Paid my dues and don't miss the hard times one bit. Through it all the friends and family are the most valued and "stuff" just eventually rots and decays!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 4:01 pm    

good car stories greg. my toyota wagon leaks a quart every 200 miles.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 4:24 pm    

Time to trade it in, Chris. You're causing a global oil shortage. Laughing
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 7:21 pm    

how much is a '90 turd worth on a trade in with no credit?
Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 9:20 pm    

My truck has 340,000 on it. It gets me down the hill to the fishing hole no problem !
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 10:51 pm     Everything's Expensive.

Fortunately, my Wife makes good money, and allows me to spend my pickin' money on music gear. I just bought a "Joe Strummer" Mexican Tele for $500 and a Birdseye Maple Warmoth neck for one of my Strats for $400. All she said was, "You Don't Need Those" and she was right, but I used the Strat in Dallas this last weekend and made $500 playin' it. She didn't complain about that. And I'll add this, she did buy me a nice Emmons LGII, 10yrs. ago after I had a terrible truck crash, that nearly killed me....So I can't complain either....It's just a hobby.
Rich Upright

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2015 11:53 pm     Re: Everything's Expensive.

Bill L. Wilson wrote:
Fortunately, my Wife makes good money, and allows me to spend my pickin' money on music gear. I just bought a "Joe Strummer" Mexican Tele for $500 and a Birdseye Maple Warmoth neck for one of my Strats for $400. All she said was, "You Don't Need Those" and she was right, but I used the Strat in Dallas this last weekend and made $500 playin' it. She didn't complain about that. And I'll add this, she did buy me a nice Emmons LGII, 10yrs. ago after I had a terrible truck crash, that nearly killed me....So I can't complain either....It's just a hobby.

$500 for 1 weekend??! I'm movin' to Dallas!! I'm ashamed to even mention what we get paid to do a gig in Florida!

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2015 9:30 am    

I can afford anything I want. I just have to ask my wife if I want it. Actually I probably restrict my hobby/toy purchases myself.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2015 10:27 am    

I can't afford expensive, Im a working musician competing with DJ's and Karaoke today. My guitar modification hobby at home are all super cheepos, Squier and Epiphone, not Fender and Gibson. Ive got Kool-Aid® Wishes and Twinkie® Dreams, not Champagne and Caviar. Laughing

Right now, maintaining the ol' motorbike (pic below from recent thread) is a hobby that has ended up costing me more than I care to spend each year. 10% Ethanol gums up idle 2-stroke motors in no time! Mad

I also used to enjoy skiing Steamboat Colorado in years past, but it's more expensive than golf! Besides owning or renting gear, every time you go there's lift tickets or greens fees. I never was a golfer, but I will play a few free rounds of disk golf at the public course when the mood strikes instead.

What I'm also looking forward to this summer for low-budget fun is windsurfing! Ive had a sweet Mistral rig since the mid 80's (not pictured here, this is Dominican Republic). OK, so the equipment was not cheap, but I definitely got my money's worth over 3 decades.

The nearest lake is only 30 miles away. $5 of that crappy 10% ethanol gas in the Subaru with 150K on the odometer and a hole in the floor, the boards strapped to the roof rack and we are there. Wind and water is still free (at least it was last time I checked), and it's one of the most relaxing yet invigorating hobbies Ive ever known!

Very Happy

Last edited by Clete Ritta on 12 Jun 2015 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total