| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Master of Cajun Pedal Steel, Rodney Miller
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jun 2015 5:50 pm    

Guys, this is the player that made Cajun Steel guitar playing what it is today. Every player that you hear today playing Cajun music is emulating some of Rodney Miller's creations. There were players before him, but he opened up the whole world for the rest of us to learn how to play. This is a point of which all of the current Cajun pickers will agree!

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2015 3:54 am    

Thanks David. I agree and am a huge fan.

Is he still alive and well and gigging?
Tom Quinn

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2015 7:20 am    

What about Orsy Vanicor? That's who I thought wrote the book on Cajun steel playing...

Post  Posted 6 Jun 2015 5:04 pm    

Bob, I wish I had better news. But Rodney is not doing well at all with a number of health challenges over the last few years and currently in the hospital. Hopefully he will make a full recovery.

Tom, Orsy was one of the pioneers of Cajun Steel playing as he started when he was a teenager. I think Orsy is early to mid 80's now and still plays fabulous. The thing about Orsy is no one can duplicate his style and approach. He has his own thing going and there is never any doubt when you hear him play. He is amazing to say the least and also an inspiration to all of us.

Rodney came up with a lot of licks and runs that changed the way everyone else played. He inspired Marty Broussard, Junior Martin, Richard Comeaux, Danny Cormier, Murnel Babineaux, Phillip Allemon, and many others. Although I don't consider myself in the same league as the players I've mentioned, you will still hear things that Rodney came up with in all of our playing every time we play. He really taught many players and never has realized his contribution.
Dave
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2015 4:39 am    

Thanks David. Too bad about Rodney Miller's health.

About 2 years ago fellow Floridian, norteno accordionist Tomas Granado, and I visited Junior Martin. He spoke very highly of Rodney's playing and his influence. Junior gave me some good pointers on steel. We came to visit for an hour or so and stayed all day. I even got to sit in with Junior and Walter Mouton--two Cajun music legends--to play for a busload of tourists. A thrill for me.

Tom and I weren't there 15 minutes when a Creole accordionist came in with an emergency reed repair. While he was waiting, we started talking and I soon discovered he was Curley Taylor, who recorded Baby Please Don't Go with Darick Campbell on Ann Savoy's Creole Bred album. I was the one who put Ann in touch with Darick.

I played fiddle and sang in a Cajun dance band here in Florida from 1987-97 then quit to devote more time to my career, which required lots of weekend work. After retiring in 2010, I re-joined the band to play steel. I have a pretty extensive repertoire in my head and a good feel for Cajun style. My Cajun steel chops are finally coming together and it sure is fun. Unfortunately, we presently gig only two or three times a year, but I am working on that.

I may be coming out to Louisiana in the next few months and would love to connect with you, Orsy, and other Cajun steelers.

Thanks again for your posts.

Bob
Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2015 8:04 am    

I think Atlas Fruge, Orsy, Rodney, T'Coon, Shirley all wrote chapters in the "book" of Cajun steel.

I was privileged to have been able to hang out with Orsy's uncle Milton Vanicor a few times. Mr. Milton passed away this weekend at the age of 96. He's the fiddler on many of the classic Iry Lejeune recordings.

Picture of Mr. Milton (with me grinning in the background)

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps
David Higginbotham

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2015 9:56 pm    

Jim, that's a great pic you posted and Mr. Milton sure left a legacy with his passing. You are also up to date on your history. I was fortunate enough to live on the same street as Atlas Fruge' and grew up with his kids. He was such a nice easy going person. And Shirley Ray Bergeron was one of my favorite singers and also did a lot for steel guitar in Cajun music. He passed away around the same time as my dad in 1995. I posted a recent pic of Orsy with Marty Broussard in another thread.

Bob, when you get this way give us a holler. Jr. Martin is who I wanted to play like when I started playing steel. In fact, hearing his playing is what got me interested in learning. He is a great guy and a master craftsman on top of that!
Dave
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jul 2015 9:57 am    

Thanks Dave. I'll keep in touch.

Best,

Bob