| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  RIP Wayne Kemp
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2015 8:12 pm    

I received a call from Wayne's brother Tommy today letting me know Wayne has passed away. Tommy is our guitar player at both the Good Old Boy's show in Barling, AR on Friday evenings and The Little O' Oprey on Saturday evenings and we also attend Church together and play in our Church services, so Tommy is a very close friend to me. Wayne lived just out of Nashville and had written many big hit songs including "The Fireman", "Love Bug", "One Piece At A Time", "I'll Leave This World Loving You" and many others. In his younger days Wayne toured and John Hughey was his steel player. Please pray for the Kemp family. Tommy is leaving in the morning to be with the family in near Nashville.
Jerry

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2015 7:17 am    

We send our deepest sympathies to the Kemp family during this time. Wayne definitely made a profound impact on the country music industry.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2015 7:26 am    

I'm sorry to hear this. I knew Wayne way back in the day (the sixties) when he lived and worked in Southern California. He worked at George's Roundup on Pacific Coast Highway with Buddy Cagle I believe. He also worked the Sunday afternoon gig at The Sundown in Wilmington. At George's he was the lead guitarist and at the Sundown he played acoustic rhythm and was the lead singer. I met him through a guitar picker who played with him at the Sundown named Sammy Watson and played some with him myself back then. He was a great songwriter and had a very unique vocal style.. For some reason I'd thought he'd already passed away.. RIP Wayne, you were a good one... JH in Va.

California, USA
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2015 11:08 am    

This sure is showing the change on this earth in our music world. I did a few gigs with Wayne Kemp & Sammy Watson who was the Steel Guitarist & with our late friend Joe(Steel Guitarist)Baker at Henry's Lariat Club in Carson,California. RIP. Sad Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr.
frank rogers

usa
Post  Posted 10 Mar 2015 8:42 pm    

Country...Personifide.."In the Flesh"..the REAL DEAL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjyIhi6MVjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPfcrz-1Dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyatW--rCi8

3 versions of one the best songs written by the great, Wayne Kemp.
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 5:47 am    

Hey Leo, I knew Sammy played steel but when he was working with Wayne at the Sundown he was playing a red Telecaster with a Bigsby tremolo on it and a foot volume control. He sounded exactly like a steel. I think he was the first guy I saw who did that and later on I started doing it myself... It's good knowing someone's out there who remembers those guys from the old days..........JH in Va.

California, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 12:01 pm    

Here Jerry. When you lived this life with these great folks of common people you can't help but remember what you have done with them. Just like us. We have picked with so many folks it's hard to remember til something hits it in our head to that moment. Like Cordell Laird,Larry Long,Wayne Meadows,Jack Lox,Jr.Nicknols,Danny Martin,Cindy Carson,Dottie Bristol & so on. We are all " Icon Super Star " to the History to our trade here in Southern California that most went home to others states and took this life with them. Memories. Uncle Leo J Eiffert Jr. The Drummer/Guitarist/Bass Guitarist/Piano/Steel Guitarist and what ever I wanted to play in those days.
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 2:21 pm    

I first heard of Wayne Kemp from an old Porter Wagoner show and have been a fan ever since.
Jack Mansfield

Reno, NV
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 5:56 pm     Wayne kemp

He's probably in heaven having some of that Honky Tonk Wine!,
Dale Bennett

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2015 9:27 pm    

I'm so sorry, I knew Wayne in Ca when he had the band at George's Roundup in Long Beach and I had the band at George's Roundup #2 in Hawaiian Gardens Ca. just out of Long Beach. When I moved back to Ok I booked him in my Club called The Gold Derrik in OKC. It was a miserable snowy night and he filled the place. I loved his music and songs. Rest in Peace Wayne. db

Trafford, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 5:16 am     Rip

RIP to my ole boss man- as the steel player for the Kemparoos put many a mile down the road- wayne's band were also his good friends and that's a fact!
Bob Simmons

Trafford, Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 5:45 am     pic

here we are in Fort Worth-long time ago, still had hair on my head....wayne kemp, bob simmons, gary rask, paul bradly
[img]http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/userpix1403/3238_001_1.jpg[/img
Dale Bennett

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2015 10:25 am     Wayne Kemp

Good Pic Bob, I got to work at Panther Hall a couple times when I was with Ray Price in 70thru72. Got to meet the man Bill Mack. I had a few pics also but lost so many when my house burned, that was in 78 and I still can't get over it. Hey Bob, did you ever know a steel picker ( Doug Campbell )? He lived here in OKC, worked with Ray some and knew Wayne and I think worked with him some, great picker. He was with me for 7yrs and was with me when I booked Wayne in my club in 78. If u have anymore pics I hope u post them. I'm an old man now Bob and still pick (bass) and sing and I just loved those days back then. Sorry guys, didn't mean to write a book, but I have so many good memories. db