| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  First "Real PSG" song?
Adam Tracksler

Maine, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2015 2:51 pm    

I'm getting comfortable with chords and changes, think I'm ready to start tackling some songs, what would you suggest for a "first real PSG on" to work on.

Open to suggestions, I know I should pick something I like, but I'm not sure what is an appropriate song to start out with. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated....

//ad
John Booth

Columbus Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2015 3:20 pm    

Bud's Bounce

Someone send him the tab

Are you reading tab yet Adam?
GOTTA learn to read it fluently,
It's easy (after a few tunes)
Dave Magram

San Jose, California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Mar 2015 9:42 pm    

Adam,

I’d suggest Pedal Steel Guitar (Winnie Winston and Bill Keith), available from this Steel Guitar Forum's online store:
http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/categories/Instruction/E9th-instruction/

It has a bunch of songs to learn--from beginning to advanced-- but most importantly they are sequenced in a very sensible way for learning. It comes with a recording of many of the songs.

It also has useful exercises, discussions of chord theory, an explanation of how the changer mechanism works, and much more.

Many players on the Forum have said that they learned to play with this book.

On page 7, Buddy Emmons calls it "the most in-depth study of the pedal steel guitar available... well thought out and well presented."

-Dave
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2015 12:18 am     Dave nailed it.

Dave is right on target. Pedal Steel Guitar (Winnie Winston and Bill Keith) is the way to go for reasons Dave mentioned. Also a CD is included, many of the songs you will be familar with (Silent Night, for ex) and even Bud's Bounce is in there.
b0b may sell it here on The Forum. If not, it's on EBAY now for $22 including shipping at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-by-Bill-Keith-and-Winnie-Winston-1992-CD-Paperback-/381133321417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58bd50f4c9
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2015 12:22 am     Dave nailed it.

Dave is right on target. Pedal Steel Guitar (Winnie Winston and Bill Keith) is the way to go for reasons Dave mentioned. Also a CD is included, many of the songs you will be familar with (Silent Night, for ex) and even Bud's Bounce is in there.
b0b may sell it here on The Forum. If not, it's on EBAY now for $22 including shipping at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-by-Bill-Keith-and-Winnie-Winston-1992-CD-Paperback-/381133321417?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58bd50f4c9
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 9 Mar 2015 1:25 am    

http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/products/Pedal-Steel-Guitar-by-Winnie-Winston-and-Bill-Keith.html

Buy from b0b.
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 2:24 pm    

The first songs you learn, instrumentally, should be easy ones. I'd recommend those standards that are normally heard at almost all steel shows and jams, like "Mansion On The Hill"", "Another Bridge To Burn", "Please Release Me", or "Way To Survive". These songs don't require speed, lots of chords, or fast changes, so they're good for all levels of players. Smile
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2015 3:04 pm    

As usual, Donny nails it.
If it's those intertwined harmonies that hook you and make you say "THAT'S what I want to do!", make "A Way to Survive" your second song.
Why second? Because that sweet move of sliding the bar while adding a lever is HARD, and you should have something behind you so you know you can do SOMETHING right.