| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Boss RV-3 - can you dial in subtle echo?
Lynn Kasdorf

Waterford Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 9:22 pm    

I'm considering trying a Boss Rv-3 but I wonder if I will be able to dial in a very small amount of echo along with a nice reverb. In other words, does it give you independent echo level and reverb level down to zero for the echo & reverb modes?

I generally don't care for obvious echo with steel- I like a very subtle touch of it.

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 8:28 am    

That's my main objection to the RV-3, you're rather limited in the choice of effects. I have had much better luck with having separate reverb and delay units, like a RV-5 and a DD-3.
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 10:56 am    

Yeah, subtle isn't how I'd describe it. My main objection to that whole line and era of Boss pedals is that they do kind of take over. I surely don't feel the need to replace every pedal with the latest greatest every two years as instructed by music magazines, but that is an old design and some modern devices act where the "level" control is actually controlling a blend of effected and straight sounds. I like to be able to dial in a tiny bit of a drastic sound sometimes, IYKWIM. Going full stereo makes this much easier, even if you don't want to ping-pong around the room.
Karl Fehrenbach

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 1:12 pm    

As mentioned by all above, I too am having a concern with my RV-3. In a loud room where finesse is not a necessity, it works just fine. If you are playing in a more reserved venue or a church service type of thing, better control of the delay makes a lot of sense. I have a couple other superb reverb pedals, and I do like to mix in delay, so I am seriously looking at perhaps a MXR Carbon Copy or maybe an Aqua Puss to pair up with a good reverb pedal. Just my 2 cents.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 2:38 pm    

In accordance with the guidance in FORUM FEEDBACK to be lighthearted AND give our full opinion:

I would love to play in church just so I wouldn't need to have reverb! Of course...everything is In Ear monitors and such nowadays...everything is becoming so synthetic. It's a vicious technological cycle we are caught in, people! We are not solving problems with it, we are causing the problems! Pretty soon we will be virtual commuting to church and yhe house band will patch in via satellite.

Ever wish we could go back to old school sound systems? Best band mix I've heard in 10 years was at a small performing arts theatre where all the artists moved their own air.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 8:28 am    

You can dial in and echo setting, and use amp reverb.
The RV3 is great for a ton of things for the gigging Steel player, but if you are picky about separation of reverb and delay settings, don't buy an RV3.

Here's an old thread on the RV3:
http://steelguitarforum.com/Forum11/HTML/001760.html
autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 10:59 am     Line 6 Echo Park

I love the Line 6 Echo Park. Built like a tank
also has Tape Echo, Digital, & analog Delay. This is a digital delay,....but with the echo's it sounds like reverb to me. This unit replaced my RV-3.
This pedal has lots of options.....a lot of bang
for the buck. Most of the Boss RV 3 are getting aged but I think Boss still does repair.
Good luck with your search.
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 6:56 pm     Rv3

What Pete said.
. It's a great box for somethings. Lack of control over seperate effects is a drag, but it does some things well. I can get a good reverb and delay with limited control, as well as only a subtle delay, which I use with any amp that has reverb and an effects loop.

It does those well enough, not perfect, but it's one pedal. I like that.