| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Today I Started Loving You Again"
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 11:04 am    

"Today I Started Loving You Again"

Sammi Smith (1943 - 2005), no relation to the 2015 Grammy Award winner Sam Smith, recorded in my opinion one of the best versions this Merle Haggard and Bonnie Owens composition. This was her last Top Ten Hit before she sadly passed away in February 2005. Born Jewel Faye Smith, in Orange County, California, she is best known for her 1971 country/pop crossover hit, "Help Me Make It Through the Night", written by Kris Kristofferson. She became one of the few women in the "outlaw country" movement during the 1970s opposing the movement of country into pop..

Many have recorded this lovely tune including Sheryl Crow, Willie Nelson, Kenny Rogers, Tammy Wynette, Charlie McCoy (harmonica instrumental) and many others. This instrumental version is a collaboration with Ian Plant of the UK featuring Stratocaster, acoustic lap steel, electric lap steel (Steelocaster), and pedal steel guitars. All backing was done by Ian Plant. Key of A.

https://soundcloud.com/kay-das/today-i-started-loving-you-again

Enjoy!

Kay
norm mcdaniel

waco tx
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 11:48 am     Kay Das

Kay Again I could not get Sammi Smiths tune
to play for me Embarassed Embarassed Don't know what Ive done wrong. Embarassed
Norm McDaniel
Waco Tx
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 12:45 pm    

norm,

here is an alternate link , and it wont have the immediate jukebox-style follow up bug that Souncloud has. (you will need to copy and paste to the browser window):

app.box.com/s/hmgwxe7utui201armepo65ztlyrybbqu

also, please try

http://soundcloud.com/kay-das/today-i-started-loving-you-again

( I've dropped the 's' from https)

let me know...

kay
Joe Elk

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2015 5:00 pm    

Nice!!!!!! Kay
Joe Elk
norm mcdaniel

waco tx
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2015 11:04 am    

Kay Thanks for your help
evidently something im not
doing right
Thanks anyway
Norm in Waco
Kay Das

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Feb 2015 5:29 pm    

Gentlemen, thanks for the appreciation, hope either of the url's worked for Norm.

This was a new experience, recording from scratch between players in the US and UK with different recording systems and software...and the time differences. Overall the project took a couple of weeks. We started with the sheet music.

A few "the making of" anecdotes that may be of interest...

This project started out as I was rummaging through my old LPs and remembered the half dozen I had bought in the 70s and 80's of sammi smith, one of my favourite country / crossover singers ( "help me make it through the night"/ kris kristofferson/ 1971). i am not a great country fan. but sammi had that plaintive, heart-tugging voice, sometimes resembling Brenda Lee, and i just had to have all her recordings. only a couple have been converted to CD which is why i have kept the LP collection all these years. sammi passed away almost exactly ten years ago and i had been in contact with her son at the time of recording a steel guitar instrumental of "help me make it..." . he was deeply appreciative. i have not been in touch since.

The original sheet music was written by Merle Haggard and Bonnie Owens in the key of C. sammi sang it in the key of Bb at a very relaxed 64 beats per min (bpm) speed and with quite different intonations and expression compared to the MH version on the score. I sent the sheet music and a mp3 file of sammi's version to Ian to consider. Ian felt the key of A would best suit an instrumental. He also felt that 64 bpm was too slow for an instrumental and proposed 80 bpm. He sent me back a rough backing track in the key of A at 80 bpm closely following the Merle Haggard score but with modifications per sammi's interpretation. He was able to magically convert sammi's vocal Bb version to A with good enough quality for me to work with. So I had the guide track at 80 bpm and Sammi's converted version at 64 bpm, but both in A to work with.

There were quite a few exchanges of ideas following this. Final and important interim file transfers were performed with .wav files, except for the many experimental runs which were mp3ed.

The original sammi smith recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PNXHcVHO7k

Kay
Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2022 12:48 pm    

Sounds great