| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons Short Head
Norm Kidwell

Marion, Indiana, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 6:03 pm    

I would like to know what is meant by Emmons short head compared to a standard emmons.Also what is the functional difference. Norm Kidwell
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 6:09 pm    

I'm going to take a guess here and say that the long head places the tuners farther away from the nut which results in a decreased angle that the strings are bend over the nut. My guess is that this decreases the likelihood of "hysteresis" (I think that's the correct term) which is when a raised string does not return to it's pre-raised pitch. (just guessing)
Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 7:03 pm    

What is meant by the term short keyhead refers to the first Legrande's produced by Emmons. The later models, such as the Lashley Legrande, Legrande II, III', etc... have a longer keyhead on them. I'm certainly not enough of a steel tech to be able to tell you what that does to the overall sound. I'm currently playing on one of the original Emmons Legrande's with the short keyhead, and I think it sounds as good as any I've heard, and is a really smooth playing guitar as well.

Lem
Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2004 8:29 pm    

The short keyhead allows the steel to be physically smaller. The longer keyhead requires a slightly larger (longer) cabinet, but (supposedly) offers a little better sustaining qualities.

I'm convinced that only the top players could tell the difference.
Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2004 7:17 pm    

The short keyhead on the early LeGrande's was a three piece head and was machined rather that cast. It was somewhat easier to produce. Many thought it had some effect on tone. However in my experiences there was little to no tone difference. The major tone effect was in the changer mount with the slotted dividers between each finger.
Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2004 7:19 pm    

P.S. the short head also effected pedal travel. the shorter string length needed less travel.
Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 20 Jan 2004 8:50 pm    

I was thinking earlier today about my remarks on this subject. The short keyhead was actually an extruded part and not machined from stock. Sorry for the bad information.
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 1:37 pm    

Exactly! Very true on all respects in my opinion also Jack. I actually like these "little" guitars quite well, they can actually be had for a little less money than most Emmons guitars also. A great value in a used guitar.

bobbeseymour
Tom Olson

Spokane, WA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2004 7:20 pm    

Jack (or anyone else) -- I was curious, when you speak of the changer with the "slotted dividers" between each finger are you speaking of the so-called "MCI" type changer that has a support between each finger? If so, I was wondering in what way the tone is different with this type of changer. Thanks.
Jack Strayhorn

Winston-Salem, NC
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2004 9:42 pm    

The changer design had more midrange and a little less clarity and belltone. To my ear it still had the Emmons sound. Many session players also liked the recordability that more mids produce. Mids help the guitar go to tape and also help on a bandstand at high volume. The dividers make it some harder to put strings on. This design did not help with the changer axle flex as thought that it would.