| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jeff Newman, already 10 years...
Alain-Yves Pigeon

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2014 11:12 am    

I don’t know if this subject has already been treated on the Forum and if so, I’m sorry if I bring back the subject but as I’ve been playing since just about 5 years now, I consider myself a Jeff Newman pupil as I’ve acquired all his course since I began playing and this material has been my only “teacher” so to say as, of course, Jeff had already disappeared by the time I took on this instrument.

This past April 7th has marked the 10th anniversary of his unfortunate death in 2004, and I’d simply like to underline this as a tribute to the greatest pedal steel guitar teacher that has ever been and a formidable and accomplished musician. He has been by himself a true landmark in the development and the popularity of the instrument, first with his traveling seminars and after with his large video collection of courses for the instrument. Many have tried to match his competence and his versatility on his way to teach the instrument and none really succeeded. He is unique in the history of the instrument as have been Buddy Emmons and all these great players of the first hour. His web site is still the only one stating: “Teaching is not part of what we’re doing, that’s all we do!”

When I began playing, I did not even know who Jeff Newman was (I only knew of a professional baseball player called Jeff Newman) but let me say that after spending so much time watching and listening over and over to each and every course he has published, I now feel like I’ve known this guy for 30 years. I have spent so much time with him (in videos) that his voice is now as familiar as that of buddies I’ve had for years. Ditto for his appearance and his humour, this motor-mouthed guy really knew how to get your attention and retain it even though sometimes the subject was not easy.

So, with all this in mind, I’d simply like to pay tribute to the greatest PSG teacher that has ever been, that has been unique in the history of the instrument and that possibly has no equivalent, whatever could be the instrument. The term “peerless” takes all its sense with the late great Jeff Newman.

Rest in Peace Jeff Newman and God bless you.

ayp

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2014 11:56 am    

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2014 12:23 pm    

Amen. A beautifully-written tribute to Jeff. He was a dear mentor to me. In fact, I'm still learning from him, as recently as this very morning.

RIP, Jeff.
Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2014 1:53 pm     Jeff Newman

I practice his stuff almost every time I sit down at my PSG........thanks for the tribute and thanks to Jeff and to Fran who still carries on....we appreciate you.......clark
Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 28 Apr 2014 2:40 pm    

While I did get to talk to Jeff a few times by phone, like some others, I really got to "know" him by the videos I've bought over the years. Everything he taught is still very much relevant today, and I'm still learning.

Thank you to both Jeff and Fran, and thank you to all those who still work to support Fran in keeping the business going. We do indeed appreciate you and all you do.
Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2014 2:44 pm    

AYP, Thats an Amen for me too. I call him Grampa Jeff, only because he has my dearest respect as my elder. I also started 5 years ago and "someday" I`m gonna be really good.
Notice I said Someday. His teaching tool DVD`s have got to be the best money I`ve ever spent a nickel on. I can also hear his voice in my head , pretty cool dude.

May the souls of the faithfully departed through the mercy of God rest in peace , Amen

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2014 10:14 pm     Jeff Newman------ Cool Dude

Here's JEFF Playing "COOL DUDE". I Believe The Title Of This Tune Really Describes Jeff Newman. Cool

1995 International Steel Guitar Convention.
The late and great Jeff Newman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MB3HYer0fdQ

Roger
Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2014 3:07 am    

I found this nice picture of him, standing between Pete Drake and Lloyd Green.

Last edited by Joachim Kettner on 29 Apr 2014 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Ray Mangrum

Nashville, TN.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2014 3:32 am    

Thank you for that wonderful piece on Jeff. I too, have been a student of Jeff's all my playing career. I went to two of his schools while still in the military and took correspondence courses from him in the 70's. Yes he was truly a GREAT motivator and I agree that his material is still the very best available today. Thank you Jeff Newman, rest in peace.
Dave Grothusen

Scott City, Ks
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2014 4:00 am    

There are some events where we will always remember where and what we were doing when we heard the news. Jeff's death is one of those events to me. My wife and I had been at a trade show in Arkansas City, Ks. Upon leaving the event we drove over the river bridge and on the north end was a sign that said "Newman Memorial Park'. I made the comment that I bet the park was named after a relative of Jeff. Jeff was born in Ark City ya know. When we arrived home I went to the steel forum and found that he had died.
Jeff was a friend and I miss him.
John Palumbo

Lansdale, PA.
Post  Posted 1 May 2014 10:11 am    

I went to Jeff's school back in the late 70's and also attened a seminar that he had in Long Island, NY, both experiences were fantastic. As others have said his courses / materials are still the best out there. He surely is missed.