| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  5th string pull rods in a bind on MSA Classic E9
John H. McGlothlin

Raton, New Mexico
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 10:28 am    

I thought I had everything going right when putting the changer back in the MSA Classic after cleaning and all but for some reason the changer appears to have a wider space between the 5th and 6th changer scissors than the rest of them so that does not allow the scissor fingers to line up with the holes in the endplate which makes the pull rods get in a bind and will not allow the raise to return on pitch. I have the changer in now without the return springs attached or any rods in place and it looks perfectly normal but once I put all the rods and return springs back on it just goes out of whack. Any ideas as to what causes this to happen? I put all the nylon spacers back like they were and this is just the 5th string that will not work.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 10:42 am    

Do you have the axle support right? And some washers are thin, some thick.
John H. McGlothlin

Raton, New Mexico
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 11:08 am    

Hi Lane, the axel support is in place between 5 and 6 and there was 3 very thin washers in between each finger and 2 on each end but there were no washers on each side of the axel support. It was like this when I first took it apart so I put everything back like it was and I also checked to make sure the scissor part was not bent. I just can't figure this one out.

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 2:23 pm    

What axle support between 5 & 6...don't recall that on my old MSA????

Maybe take a picture from the top side of your changer and I'll compare it to my MSA Classic S10
Alvin Douglas

Prince Edward Island
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2014 4:08 pm    

I recently cleaned and re assembled mine. Found that there was only one thickness of washer. Some spaces had 2 and some 3. Counted all the washers and all the spaces that needed washers. Decided that each space needed 2 washers with 3 on each end. When I first put it back together, I reversed the end caps. since the caps were not identical, the reversal caused a misalignment of the center support and the changer would not operate smoothly. Installed the caps in the proper positions and everything returned to normal. Assembled with no rods or springs, everything moved freely. Hope this helps you. Good luck with it.
Alvin

Raton, New Mexico
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 8:17 am    

Hi Tom, this is a picture with the arrow pointing to the axel support which is held in place by the two wood screws in the middle. The support is a thin ring that fits on the axel and held in place by the two wood screws.

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 8:44 am    

Hmmmm...don't have those on my vintage xl..I'll have to dig my classic out of storage and check it out.
John H. McGlothlin

Raton, New Mexico
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 12:58 pm    

Hi Alvin, this guitar was a double neck to begin with but I converted it to an SD 10 and used a lot of the changer parts from the C6 neck thinking they were all the same but now find that the two axels are not exactly the same length one is between a 16th and a 32nd of an inch longer which might have something to do with it considering how thin the spacers are.

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 2:12 pm    

One of the changer pillow blocks (axle supports) looks to be crooked. Question That insiide one just doesn't look right! Are any raise levers going under the finger stop-plate and jamming?
John H. McGlothlin

Raton, New Mexico
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2014 3:25 pm    

Hi Donny, that picture is just one I took off the internet to show Tom what the axle support looks like, it is not my guitar, sorry. One of the scissor parts that lowers would catch under the stop plate but I fixed that but none of the raise fingers got stuck under the plate.