| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  As some of us get older....................
Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2014 4:27 pm    

What seems to be the most notable 'failing' in we elder players?

Mental capabilities as it relates to playing the machine?

Mental functions relating to memory/mechanics?

Failure of the back?

Does is just happen over night?
Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2014 5:35 pm    

all most all the above Ray

Quote:
Q -- What seems to be the most notable 'failing' in we elder players?

A -- to d%m# weak to haul all the equipment

Quote:
Q -- Does is just happen over night?

A -- No ! its taken most of us 70 + years to get to this point
Razz Laughing
Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2014 6:01 pm    

For me, its lack of desire to go and play.. In music, AND other stuff... However, we'll save that conversation for another forum Smile

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2014 8:09 pm    

Well.......Ray,
It's been said that the first thing to go is the memory; I can't remember what comes after that.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 12:00 am    

They (the younger generation) start treating us (as we get older) like we walk around with a dead fish in our shirt.
So we are sort of forced to forget about becoming a lovable old grandpa and go right straight to "screw you world" I'll comb my hair if I want, dress like I want, act like I want and play like I want and you can kiss where I can't.
My Oh My!! what a great feeling to get to that point in life. Makes me proud to be an old fart with a dead fish in my shirt.
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 4:37 am    

Probably memory has been the first that I noticed. Not severe, but not as sharp as it was. Second, all the little aches and pains that have showed up. Plus stiffness in my fingers and wrists. All that, plus a searing severe dislike of most of the music and performers that have surfaced in the last 5 years, and a sort of morbid curiosity as to why music talent shows have to be about how much you can scream, rather than voice control and music...........Other than that....I'm good to go..... OTH...I think places that have karaoke should be burned to the ground..........
Larry Lenhart

Ponca City, Oklahoma
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 6:37 am    

I think Allan said it really really well...I would agree with him on all accounts. I find that my aches are minor (I am lucky there) and my desire to learn and grow on the steel is bigger and better than it ever has been. Having just recently gone back to do some non pedal work has really helped me a lot, and now I find that my pedal steel playing is improving too as a result. Maybe in 5 to 10 years things will be different, but for now, I feel like I am on the top of my game musically, both in steel and guitar and singing. I have cut back on the weight I carry around...got rid of the heavy Fender tube amps and use Roland cubes, got rid of heavy 2 neckers and use Justice S10 3X4, and have a lap steel and a Remington S8...now I am picking up a Fender T8 stringmaster next week...hmmmm...I can handle it !! Its nice to be retired and able to focus my attention so much on music....my passion in life.
Jack Dougherty

Spring Hill, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 6:57 am    

I will try for as long as I can to hang in there...
For me...the music is what's keeping me going. The few aches are a reminder I am still alive. Yup dead fish T shirts and the demise of Karaoke work for me.

TC M1 XL
Peavey Nashville 400. Fox Mod
Various sundries and toys..
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 7:14 am    

I'm seventy-one today.

That's pretty young compared to many of you, I know, but I too am finding it harder and harder to get motivated. Once again I'll be driving out to North Dakota to play four straight months of a seven-nights-a-week show this Summer. Just now the prospect fills me with dread even 'though I know I'll enjoy it once I get into harness, as it were.

That's how age is affecting me - I wish I could afford to just stay here, play golf every day, noodle on my steels when the fancy takes me, and enjoy being home with Mrs R.

Needs must, though so: 'Hi Ho, Hi ho....', etc....
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 8:26 am     I'm really, really grateful for you comments................

My motivation level that was always in high gear throughout my life has waned....tremendously. I just can't get enough of it to get up out of my chair or to carry my guitars out to the car.

Memory..........I can recall songs note for note and/or word for word from the late 1940'a but have difficulty on occasion recalling what day it is or what I had for my last meal or when that was.

When asked to kick off a song, I have to ask them to hummmmmm about 16 bars for me, until I get the idea.
One option, is if they can tell me WHO recorded it it will help me get right to the correct song.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 8:53 am    

Motivation is becoming a problem with me too. After about 5000 gigs in the past 45 years I can't get too exited about packing up my gear, loading the car, driving somewhere, setting up... Another thing I notice, sometimes I forget the key of the song we're playing. When it comes my turn to solo I have to stop and think... what key are we playing in? Laughing
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 8:57 am     Re:

What was the question Ray? Tracy
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 9:00 am     What was the question, you ask?

Frankly, I wasn't paying that much attention it seems.

That's another failure I've noticed, I don't even get excited when offered a gig to play as it automatically becomes a burden or severe inconvenience to me.

What was that you asked?
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 9:05 am    

Doug - I get that too!

It's like I'm daydreaming and just playing - then, when a little more concentration is required I ask myself 'What key are we in?'!!!!

I'll hit a note that's right 'under my fingers' and figure out its relationship to what I'm hearing from the band and I'm usually okay again.

It's pretty unnerving when it happens, though - a bit like when I'm driving and suddenly can't recall anything about the previous five or six miles!
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 9:10 am     Roger...............

When I was in my late teens, I used to experience what you just described.....usually on relatively long drives from band practices or gigs out of town.

The doctor explained it was "white line fever" resulting from perfectly marked highway center lines or lane markers that produced hypnosis.

Years later I'm told I suffer from 'sleep apnea'.
Tracy Sheehan

Fort Worth, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 9:20 am     Re: What was the question, you ask?

Ray Montee wrote:
Frankly, I wasn't paying that much attention it seems.

That's another failure I've noticed, I don't even get excited when offered a gig to play as it automatically becomes a burden or severe inconvenience to me.

What was that you asked?

I forgot. Tracy
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 10:04 am    

Ray, I'd have to say, having to deal an with an ole Asian condition known as hungchow is a consideration. Arriving at a gig with said payload can add to untimely set up....
Eddie Cunningham

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 10:26 am     Just turned 85 !!

I'm now 85 but still feel pretty much O.K. , my hands and fingers are pretty stiff in the morning and my legs are getting weaker and I've changed to much lighter equipment but still enjoy it when I get a chance to get out and play somewhere !! I don't have the fire about steel like I used to but still do enjoy !! olde geeze - AKA Eddie "C"
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 23 Mar 2014 7:55 pm     Still Cookin', Just Not as Hot.

I'm 67 and still haulin' HEAVY EQUIPMENT. And my back and knee, they're both screwed together. Am I gonna quit? NO, even if I can't remember what key I'm in, half the time. "WHEN THEY PRY MY COLD DEAD REAR OFF THE SHO-BUD SEAT", then, STICK A FORK IN ME.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 7:00 am    

Forgetting how to think young. Not being as open minded or except changes. How we dull on things will effect our playing more than our age.
Joe Miraglia

Jamestown N.Y.
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 7:33 am    

[quote="Joe Miraglia"]Forgetting how to think young. Not being as open minded or except changes. How we think will effect our playing more than our age. Oh My Spilling Smile
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 10:10 am    

I must not be old enough yet, motivation is higher than ever, my focus and memory never were much in the first place, but the gear just seems to get heavier every month...
Ray Montee

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 10:28 am     Well now Dave.............

Sounds like life is treating YOU okay..........

I'd strongly suggest you not leave your equipment in a darkened closet or under your bed.

Somewhat like one's clothing has a tendency to shrink in the darkness of a closet, musical equipment tends to get HEAVIER with each passing day.
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2014 11:01 am    

A friend once told me that gravity is a mysterious and totally misunderstood force. It is NOT applied evenly around the earth. It is measured by the year count since your birth, and becomes the smallest amount larger with each birthday until it finally over takes you and pushes you into the ground. It also effects items around you, such as amps and so forth....Don't believe it??? Lift a Fender Twin (if you can) and then let a 20 year old lift it. See??
Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2014 1:47 pm    

Needed to change up the gear pretty drasticly. Very light weight amp, light weight steel and wheeled case. No more D-10 on gigs. Too much energy to transport and set up which is better used playing.

Some issues with focus and forgetting what key I'm playing in. Feeling more of a need to have charts on a stand.

Sometimes difficult getting movitated to leave the house for a gig or rehearsal. Need to load the car well in advance of having to leave.

Can't pivot from ab to bc as easily. Thinking of putting c on a lever.

I recently bought Kevin Ryan's hot & sassy licks, which is good for the "short attention span theatre" crowd. A bunch of cool and challenging licks that are very short. I'm finding this stuff very gratifying as I can keep the short phrases in my addled brain long enough to get them under my fingers. Aside from these minor inconveniences, all is well for me.