| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ideas for LKV lever
Andy Ellison

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2014 2:57 pm    

I'm thinking of getting a Zum Steel soon, which comes with 5 knee levers including an LKV. Since my current steel only has 4 levers I've been thinking of what I want the LKV lever to do.

I've thought about having it lower my G#'s to G's. In other words, change the major thirds to minor thirds in open position.

Does anyone have this change? Does it come in handy? What do those of you who have an LKV lever use it for?

Thanks
john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2014 3:06 pm    

Andy you can (and may already) split 6 to a G. Most folks Drop the B's to Bb and split to C.

JW
widcj@hotmail.com
Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2014 4:39 pm    

B's to Bb gives you II 9. Chord ( think Sweet Dreams). If you have a lever on the right side that will lower the 6th string G# to F# ( which John suggested would also give you the a G natural when engaging your B pedal and tuning the split) , you can move to a 7th chord slowly which is a beautiful change. The lowered B's also set up nice pockets for soloing.

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2014 9:49 pm    

hey guys, thanks for the ideas.

I should mention that my LKL already has the B to Bb change on it. the problem with splitting the 6th string to a G for me is that my G# to F# change for the 6th string is also on my LKL.

That's part of the reason I wanted to do the G# to G change on the LKV.

thanks for the input!
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2014 9:52 pm    

I always like raising the high E to F# on LKV.

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2014 11:34 pm    

In my opinion, the best change for a vertical is raising the 2 F# strings to G natural. G# to G natural should go on a zero pedal.
Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2014 11:55 pm    

What b0b said - the E-F# gives a really nice smooth transition to replace going from A+B to B+C pedals, useful in chords or single note runs...plus you can do it on string 8 and 4, not just 4 (like C pedal has).

Chords are Open (I)->A+B (iV)->A+B+LKV (IIm)
or in pedals down position A+B (I)->A+B+LKV (Vim)->open (V)

I call it my "alt-country lever" and use it all the time....
Al Terhune

Newcastle, WA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 4:30 am    

b0b wrote:
I always like raising the high E to F# on LKV.

Yep - I even went so far as to take the C pedal off my S10 because I never used it, as it just got in the way. Two pedals and five knees, which I use all the time, are plenty for my playing.

My equipment:

One heck of a Wife
The ghost of a red Doberman
Several pairs of reading glasses strewn about
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 11:56 am    

I would stick with the B > Bb on the LKV
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 12:04 pm    

Dave Grafe wrote:
I would stick with the B > Bb on the LKV

A recent discovery for me (but probably obvious for most on here) is that if you have this change as the LKV, and your LKR lowers the Es, then you can play those two levers together, along with the A&B pedals to form a diminished chord.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=CQaLg0McEXM#t=164
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 3:32 pm    

The B to Bb change is perhaps the most mysterious of all changes. ThereĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s A LOT more to it than making the pedals down chord minor. It has many subtle uses, which can only be understood by those who take the time to really explore it. Since verticals are hard to use, putting the B to Bb change there means people will be less inclined to use it, thereby depriving themselves of its many possibilities.

Among other things, it works with both the E string raises and lowers, which IMHO is reason enough to have those 2 on the same knee.

I believe the best use of a vertical knee lever is to raise the F# strings to G.

I cannot think of a single instance in which I would raise the F# strings to G without also playing the B pedal (with or without the A pedal.) By putting the change on a vertical, you have some leverage with which to use it when you are playing the B pedal.
Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 6:13 pm    

G#'s to G

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 6:20 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:
The B to Bb change is perhaps the most mysterious of all changes. ThereĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s A LOT more to it than making the pedals down chord minor. It has many subtle uses, which can only be understood by those who take the time to really explore it. Since verticals are hard to use, putting the B to Bb change there means people will be less inclined to use it, thereby depriving themselves of its many possibilities.

Among other things, it works with both the E string raises and lowers, which IMHO is reason enough to have those 2 on the same knee.

I believe the best use of a vertical knee lever is to raise the F# strings to G.

I cannot think of a single instance in which I would raise the F# strings to G without also playing the B pedal (with or without the A pedal.) By putting the change on a vertical, you have some leverage with which to use it when you are playing the B pedal.

I don't have this change, nor do I have a 9th String "D"....but always curious what I'm missing...

Do you mostly use the F#-G to get the fourth tone and G#-A as the fifth tone when using String 9 "D" as the root?

Any other uses?
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 7:41 pm     ?, & a bit of a rant

Andy Ellison wrote:

I should mention that my LKL already has the B to Bb change on it. the problem with splitting the 6th string to a G for me is that my G# to F# change for the 6th string is also on my LKL.

That's got me real curious. Would you mind posting your whole copedent?
John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 8:10 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:

I agree that putting a G natural change on the vertical knee lever makes tons of sense for this reason (even though it's not where mine is), but couldn't you use the G natural change without any pedals to get another minor chord?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 9:30 pm    

[quote="John Scanlon"]
Mike Perlowin wrote:
couldn't you use the G natural change without any pedals to get another minor chord?

Yes, John you can, and I occasionally do. But always in conjunction with using the B pedal to get the note in between the 3rd and 5th of the chord.

But IMHO, you're better off making the chord with the B and C pedals. when you want to play a minor chord, you want the corresponding scale to contain the 2nd scale degree.I.E. a, b, c, d, e etc. You can easily get this with the B and C pedals. Releasing the B pedal gives you that note, and it's much easier to do that than to manipulate the vertical.

My opinion is that the primary use of the F# to G change is to yield a 7th chord with the A and B pedals, although there are other uses for it.

I have always said that it doesn't make much different which changes go on what knee levers. You just put them where they feel the most comfortable to you. But I feel that putting the F# to G change in the vertical is the one exception.

BTW, I have a zero pedal that drops the G#s to G, on my U-12, and my B to Bb change is on a wrist lever.
Tom Gorr

Three Hills, Alberta
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2014 10:24 pm    

I tuned my F# up to G for a 'test', and definately see how being able to change that full grip pedals down 6th chord into a girthy 7th chord would be good. Good advice, IMO.