| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing speaker in NV 400?
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2013 10:51 pm    

Does the front grill of the Peavey Nashville 400 pop off to allow exchange of the speaker? Can't quite tell. My Webb is velcroed to the cabinet, is the NV400 the same?

Last edited by John McClung on 20 Dec 2013 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Kowalik

San Antonio,Texas
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2013 5:08 am    

My experiences have been that the grill is attached by Velcro.....but I don't understand why the grill needs to come off as the speaker is mounted on the back side of the baffle.

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2013 10:41 am    

It is velcro'd to the cabinet, but as mentioned, you mount the speaker from the rear. I don't remember if I had to remove the reverb spring or chassis. That was 29 years ago and the memory chips in the head are failing.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2013 6:38 pm    

John,to remove Nashville grill do the following,reach in from back of cabinet,right under the front control panel theres just enough space to put a finger on each side of top of grill,push fairley hard it will pop out on the top the you can lift it off, this worked well for me when I changed speakers,it is Velcro held top and bottom.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2013 7:26 pm    

Thanks, Steve. It looks like it is possible to remove it from the back, but that entails removing mid and bottom cabinet bracing panels, and probably the reverb sleeve as well. I'll try your method first.

Didn't realize how good I had it when changing out Webb speakers, just pop the velcroed grill, undo 8 t-bolts around the speaker, and out it comes from the front.
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2013 8:06 pm    

John,at the very top of the front baffle board there should be about a quarter of an inch of the gril board that sticks up pass the baffle board this is where you push again push hard it should release the top,then you can pul it off,this is how both mine were,oh a flashlight will help you locate it.
Willie Sims

PADUCAH, KY, USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 11:08 am    

Remove the grill from Nashville 400, by inserting a flat screwdriver between the grill top and the chassis and pry out. Just be careful you don't scratch the chassis. Hope this helps.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 2:57 pm    

If you mount the speaker from the rear, which is how my Nashville 400 speaker mounts, why do you need to remove the grill?
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jim Bob Sedgwick

Clinton, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 21 Dec 2013 3:23 pm    

All the amps I have seen use T nuts to mount the speaker. Sometimes the female part of the T nut in the baffle board will fall out. You must have the grill cloth off to put the female part back in the baffle board.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 12:31 am    

Richard, I think on this NV400, the speaker will have to come out the back. It's held to the baffle board by 8 metal screws that insert from the front,through the board, then through the 8 screw holes of the speaker, and nuts on the interior fasten the speaker rim to those screws. Very fiddly way to do it.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 10:52 am    

I just use a deep socket on a screwdriver type ratchet. I've never found a reason to unscrew from the front, but who knows, it might have been easier.
Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 1:20 pm     Nv 400

Hi John,

In order to replace the speaker, you have to do the following:

1) remove both rear panels and lay aside.
2) disconnect the speaker wires and the reverb Molex connector and unscrew the A/C wire support from the left side of the cabinet.
3) remove the chassis and lay aside.
4) unscrew the reverb tank from the cabinet and swing it out of the way.
5) remove the 8 retaining speaker hex nuts from the studs, carefully remove the speaker and lay it aside.
6) install the new speaker and just reverse the process!

Note: I just installed a new Telonics speaker in a NV 400 (to replace the existing BW 5101-4 DT). The mounting ring on the Telonics is thicker than the BW so the studs were barely long enough to start the nuts. In fact, I hade to remove one of them from the from other side of the baffle plate (note: left-handed threads) requiring removal of the grill. I had to counter-sink the hole a little deeper to allow the stud to stick out a bit more.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 2:50 pm    

Lynn: thanks! Such an ordeal, I'm liking the sound of its current speaker more and more (BW 1502-4, that's a bass cab speaker, right?)

Only 40 days till our move, Lynn, and I'll be your pesky Oly-area neighbor wanting miracles performed on my Mullen. But you ARE the man to do that, right? Did you get those photos I emailed of my Left Knee Forward for our analysis and derision?

Winking
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Dec 2013 5:58 pm    

Mine has a 1502 in it. Awesome speaker (IMO). Almost immediately after I bought mine (in 84), I popped a JBL K130 in there and hated it. I put the 1502 back in. Later on I bought another newer NV400 with a 1501. Since my NV400 has the Fox Mod, I tried the 1501 in my older NV400. Didn't like that speaker as much as 1502.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2013 5:38 am     Short mounting studs...

Like Mr. Stafford, I had to deal with short mounting screws in my two NV400s.

Quote:
Note: I just installed a new Telonics speaker in a NV 400 (to replace the existing BW 5101-4 DT). The mounting ring on the Telonics is thicker than the BW so the studs were barely long enough to start the nuts. In fact, I hade to remove one of them from the from other side of the baffle plate (note: left-handed threads) requiring removal of the grill. I had to counter-sink the hole a little deeper to allow the stud to stick out a bit more.

I was able to find these at the local hardware store. HILLMAN 10/32 x 9/16 inch "Tee Nuts-Brad Hole, Stainless" #883042 or 223646, bar code 0 0823677903 5. I used the appropriate washer and tightened them using a "C" ring tool I already had.

They fit inside of the speaker ring and allow it to be tightened without any other mod or change. Worked well for me, may work for others.
Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 23 Dec 2013 9:35 am    

I just looked at the mounting screws in my NV400, and there is a good 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch available between the speaker frame and the end of he screw (probably 1/4" of threads on the screw). Is the frame on the Telonics that much thicker than a Black Widow or JBL?
Dean Holman

Branson MO
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2013 4:31 pm    

I know it's unfortunate but you do have to replace the speaker from the back. Just be careful installing the new speaker. My Evans FET 500 amp mounts on the front which is so much more convenient. I wish Peavey would have done that.
Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2013 5:02 pm     Replacing speaker

John,
As expected, Lynn's advice on how to replace the speaker is spot on, but it's no ordeal. It's easier than it sounds. I replaced mine with the new EPS 15C, and it was a breeze. I didn't need anything special regarding the screws. There's just enough thread to get your nuts started, and that was all it took. My NV 400 sounds killer with the new speaker.
Go for it, you won't regret it.

As far as Lynn being "The Man " when it comes to working on your steel, I'd say you're in good hands. Great work from a great guy.